• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Movie night recomendations

shadowgov

Paranormal Novice
Tired of the same old movies... I thought I would ask the intelligent people on the Paracast forum for movie night recommendations. I am specifically looking for paranormal/horror themes. Bonus if the movies are available on Youtube or Netflix streaming.

Here are some:
Legend of Boggy Creek
Night Gallery pilot
The Changeling

I'm not intelligent, but I have seen every movie in this IMDB Top 250 list...

IMDb Top 250 - IMDb

I find IMDB ratings to be the most accurate, with a few thematic exceptions.

From that list:

18. The Matrix (1999) 8.7
23. Se7en (1995) 8.6
31. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) 8.5
35. Psycho (1960) 8.5
42. Memento (2000) 8.5
51. Alien (1979) 8.5
59. The Shining (1980) 8.4
64. Aliens (1986) 8.4
122. Pan's Labyrinth (2006) 8.2
132. The Seventh Seal (1957) 8.2
139. Blade Runner (1982) 8.2
164. The Sixth Sense (1999) 8.1
167. The Thing (1982) 8.1

208. Twelve Monkeys (1995) 8.1
217. The Terminator (1984) 8.0
249. Young Frankenstein (1974) 8.0

Find them at Download Torrents. Fast and Free Torrent Downloads - KickassTorrents

NOT the same old movie. Old...yes, but what a truly bizarre combination of dark, dry humor and creepy atmosphere. Its "The Old Dark House" (1932). Its rated 7.4 at IMBD. I first saw this classic a month or so ago, watched it twice and now I can't help watching it again as I reply to this thread.

From an IMDB User Review:

If you're expecting a horror movie, forget it - that aspect doesn't really kick in until the last couple of reels and was probably pretty old hat even in 1932. What you get is something altogether more unexpected and much more welcome - one of the greatest comedies of manners ever made.

Those who don't like their wit dry need not apply, but those who do are in for a real treat. Charles Laughton's blustering but good natured Yorkshireman channels more than a pinch of George Formby, but it's Ernest Thesiger who steals the show even more wholeheartedly than he did in BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN - never has one man got so much comic mileage with so little visible effort from the words "Have a potato." Forget Dr. Pretorius, this is the absolutely unique Thesiger's finest hour. There are plenty of good lines to go round the rest of the tremendous cast ("Not even Welsh should sound like that," notes Melvyn Douglas when confronted with Karloff's grunting), the characters are really rather likeable for a change, and even the wildly unconvincing casting of an actress to play the family patriarch does not detract. Not a horror classic, not a prototype slasher movie (despite its obvious influence on the genre), but a truly great comedy. Sit back, pour yourself a gin and have a potato...

This is Begotten, and it may be too disturbing for some. This is all physical theatre, mythic imagery, no real dialogue or plot, just the storyline you co-create as you view. Some may enjoy this as being cerebral, others may see it as purely visceral - most will call it trash. I liken it to an echo in our reptilian brain, what we were before we used language when we were just scraping by living off of paranoia, survival and cults of symbols

On of the best underrated sci-fi flicks of all time is Phase IV by Saul Bass - the man who did so many great title sequences for some big flicks including Hitchcock and Preminger's best works.

This is the lost ending that the studio edited out as the final hallucinogenic montage sequence was deemed too radical. Too bad as it's a much better closer. Some of the 'science talk' dialogue is pretty hilarious as this is shot during the early era of computers. Well worth scrounging for. If I can find the whole movie I will post it.

The trailer:

The original ending:

Last edited:
Bunny Lake Is Missing is one of my all time favourite English language horrors, right up there with The Haunting of Julia, The Changeling, The Haunting, Repulsion, Night of the Living Dead and Dead of Night.

This starts off quite reasonably as a mystery and then it ramps up into some really good terror. Free versions here:Bunny Lake is Missing 1965 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

This oaranormal charmer is by a young Peter Medak, a disturbed Mia Farrow before she adopted he planet, and features a genius audio score with luscious moog synths soothing you into this psychological horror, The Haunting of Julia:

Last edited:
I knew that I came to the right place. I can't wait to watch these. Keep them coming....

I was reading about Phase IV on Wikipedia and noticed this: "This is the first film to depict a geometric crop circle, in this case created by super-intelligent ants. The film predates by two years the first modern reports of crop circles in the United Kingdom, and it has been cited as a possible inspiration or influence on the pranksters who started this phenomenon."

Is that a coincidence Burnt State?

I think that Doug and Dave cite the Tully nest of 1966 as their inspiration for their crop circle inventions. This movie is wildly concerned with geometry, as I suppose Bass was given his superlative graphic design career, so I can see how creating a design using natural materials to demonstrate an alien intelligence, as this movie does repeatedly, appealed to him immensely. But it is curious...

Mothman Reveals Why We Argue-Debate & Are Conflicted | The Paracast Community Forums

Holy Crap! I decided to take a break and watch a movie that I haven't seen since it came out in 2002. Staring Richard Gere and Laura Linney. "The Mothman Prophecies"

Wow, a very revealing moment is when Gere asks Dr. Alexander Leek (anagram) for help. They go into the library where he explains about Mothman... BUT, what is completely fascinating is the explanations he gives for its existence with the Pros/Cons. It really is a very insightful scene that is quite sophisticated and very rare for a movie of this kind.

I highly recommend watching this movie just for the benefit of that one scene. I thought it captures our predicament we have within our inner/outer realities, thinking, and debates about ET-UFO's, Anything Paranormal or Crypto, what is real or not for one person but not another, it might save your marriage Lol, etc. Of course, many aspects about the entirety of the movie fall along the themes of abduction, the watchers, "UFO" being encounters, the effects of trauma and high stress, those mentally destabilized by experiencing such events, precognition, etc... I love it!

There is also an otherworldly dimension that is very subtly presented in just the visual spectrum and editing of this movie. (It also won an award for its music/sound editing.) It is truly a work of art. If you weren't impressed the first time or only saw this years ago as I did, when I didn't understand its kaleidoscopic meanings, I certainly am now finding this an amazingly haunting movie at the "deeper levels" well beyond the surface of its "screen memory". This movie has abducted me! Lol.

It really matches-up as an excellent road-map and overlay of the problems and questions we face on this forum or listening to Paracast.

The scene begins at about the 1hr:01min mark. Best 7 minutes of the movie. It's a unique and concise primer to how we think and feel conflicted over such matters with some thinking-man's (woman's) ways out of our Paranormal maze and hall of mirrors. No dead ends?

(But this is not "action packaged" or a book to screen. It is an artful meditation worth experiencing and thinking about while flying on the subtle plane.)

The anagram for Dr. Leek's name spelled in reverse is:

KEEL

Brilliant!!!

Back