• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Mothman Reveals Why We Argue-Debate & Are Conflicted

Free versions of recent episodes:

DissectionStalker

Paranormal Adept
Holy Crap! I decided to take a break and watch a movie that I haven't seen since it came out in 2002. Staring Richard Gere and Laura Linney. "The Mothman Prophecies"

Wow, a very revealing moment is when Gere asks Dr. Alexander Leek (anagram) for help. They go into the library where he explains about Mothman... BUT, what is completely fascinating is the explanations he gives for its existence with the Pros/Cons. It really is a very insightful scene that is quite sophisticated and very rare for a movie of this kind.

I highly recommend watching this movie just for the benefit of that one scene. I thought it captures our predicament we have within our inner/outer realities, thinking, and debates about ET-UFO's, Anything Paranormal or Crypto, what is real or not for one person but not another, it might save your marriage Lol, etc. Of course, many aspects about the entirety of the movie fall along the themes of abduction, the watchers, "UFO" being encounters, the effects of trauma and high stress, those mentally destabilized by experiencing such events, precognition, etc... I love it!

There is also an otherworldly dimension that is very subtly presented in just the visual spectrum and editing of this movie. (It also won an award for its music/sound editing.) It is truly a work of art. If you weren't impressed the first time or only saw this years ago as I did, when I didn't understand its kaleidoscopic meanings, I certainly am now finding this an amazingly haunting movie at the "deeper levels" well beyond the surface of its "screen memory". This movie has abducted me! Lol.

It really matches-up as an excellent road-map and overlay of the problems and questions we face on this forum or listening to Paracast.

The scene begins at about the 1hr:01min mark. Best 7 minutes of the movie. It's a unique and concise primer to how we think and feel conflicted over such matters with some thinking-man's (woman's) ways out of our Paranormal maze and hall of mirrors. No dead ends?

(But this is not "action packaged" or a book to screen. It is an artful meditation worth experiencing and thinking about while flying on the subtle plane.)

The anagram for Dr. Leek's name spelled in reverse is:

KEEL

Brilliant!!!

Last edited:
It's kind of underrated IMO. Probably because many people either expected more of a blockbuster creature movie or more of the John Keel book of the same name, not the rather personal story of Gere's character.

I thought it accurately portrays a 'true to life' revelation about how people's relationships and sanity are so effected by such experiences parsed out within the group of characters, a spin-out, so it is very effective in that sense beyond the main character.

The paranormal voice of the phone, and the various names attached to the caller was brilliant. Keel was known to do prank and spoof calling, so I think this was an artful adaptation of the trickster shining "outside" of his personality and onto the "screen memory". ;)

Last edited:
I agree with the OP, well written too.

It has been a couple of years or more since I last watched it, so maybe I am wrong in recollecting a scene with the bridge over the river. I wonder if Ivan Sanderson's Earth Grid weak metal science has application.

Maybe that is another movie. I have driven around the area a few times and the vibes are 'different' but I always thought that was a personal reaction to the hill people who sometimes come out of the deep ''hollers'. A spiritual consciousness or elemental can be caused to transform by ritual practices to look like another projected form. Spirits in plants are scientifically proven and in Findhorn a lady I almost married saw Leprechauns. She was a Cherokee mystic. The Cherokee Road pre-dating Columbus went from Georgia north for a thousand miles, the Cherokee are probably like the Melungeon who live near Mothman country. I have proof of many cultural contacts and people coming here from North Africa (Figuig) or Wales etc., back to the time of Christ - more than just Mormons and their Bountiful.

I did an article on the New Jersey Devil which might apply, I will look to see if there is a thread on the 'devil' and if not I will put the article here.

Joseph Bonaparte and The New Jersey Devil:

"Commodore Stephen Decatur was an American naval hero in the early nineteenth century. According to legend, he visited the Hanover Mill Works to inspect his cannonballs being forged. While there, he visited a firing range and sighted a flying creature flapping its wings. He fired a cannonball directly upon it. It had no effect and the creature flew away.

Joseph Bonaparte, the brother of Napoleon Bonaparte and former King of Spain, was reported to have seen the Devil. The incident took place in Bordentown, New Jersey while he was game hunting in the nearby woods.

The infamous Captain Kidd is reputed to have buried treasure in Barnegat Bay. Legend has it he beheaded one of his men to guard forever his buried treasure. Accounts claim the headless pirate and the Jersey Devil became friends and were seen in the evenings walking along the Atlantic and in nearby marshlands.

In Clayton, New Jersey, the Devil was chased by a posse to the edge of a wooded area. The Devil fled into the wood. The posse, afraid to pursue him, halted and declared 'if you're the Devil, rattle your chains.'

The Devil's taste varies. He was seen cavorting at sea with a mermaid in 1870. And he is reputed to have had a ham and egg breakfast with a Republican - Judge French. But the Devil is not known to have specific political leanings.

The Devil's sightings have covered great geographic distances. - from Bridgeton to Haddonfield in 1859; to the New York border in 1899; and from Gloucester City to Trenton in 1909. Until this time, tales of the Devil were passed by word-of-mouth. However, published police and newspaper accounts during a famous week in January of 1909 took the story of the Devil from folk belief to authentic folk legend. Thirty different sightings in a one-week period told of the Devil sailing across the Delaware River to Maryland, Pennsylvania and Delaware. Newspaper articles created a near panic in the region.

Theory and the Devil

After the 1909 appearances, the scientific community was asked for possible explanations. Reportedly, science professors from Philadelphia and experts from the Smithsonian Institution thought the Devil to be a prehistoric creature from the Jurassic period. Had the creature survived in nearby limestone caves? Was it a pterodactyl or a peleosaurus? New York scientists thought it to be a marsupial carnivore. Was it an extinct fissiped? However, the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia could not locate any record of a living or dead species resembling the Jersey Devil." (2)

There is a remote 'possibility' that the Hapsburgs and Randolphs or other Merovingian sorcerers who live in the upper Chesapeake area have something to do with this Devil. Some of their rituals definitely involve the invocation of Asmodeus or other elementals that some call demons. They also claim to be able to shape-shift but I suspect they are involved in projecting hallucinations or what is called mind-fogging. In any event it is interesting to find Napoleon's brother living in these parts of America. But let us consider another origin of this entity. The supposed birthplace of this Devil is with a Ms. Leeds who had many children and one of them mutated. From the same source as referenced above we have - "On a stormy night in 1735, a Quaker woman gave birth to a child during a thunderstorm. The room flickered with candlelight. The wind howled. Some believed her to be a sorceress. The impoverished woman, known as Mother Leeds, was believed to have many other children - as many as twelve. Some say the child was born deformed. Some say she cursed the child because of her dire straits. Other accounts say the child was born normal and took on odd characteristics later.

Characteristics such as an elongated body, winged shoulders, a large horse-like head, cloven feet and a thick tail. According to legend, the child was confined until it made its escape either out the cellar door or up the chimney. The Jersey Devil had been born."

Sir Laurence Gardner tells us his Rosicrucian alchemical wanna-bes had developed cloning and Elixirs to address the telomeres at the end of genetic strands. There is archaeological evidence such as the Portuguese half Neanderthal baby dated to 24,000 years ago and the Bonobos as well as the recent Hobbits. There is a helical structure to DNA and Harmonic energy patterns affecting forces such as time. Amazing things can be produced in other dimensions for a certainty. No I dare not disregard the possibility that some of our founding fathers were doing more than mere miscegenation (Jefferson) and animal husbandry (George Washington). There was indeed a time when Jefferson believed that Negroes were a human crossed with an orangutan. Once the creature had lived and developed a soul I can imagine it was not a happy camper. Maybe this relates to the Mothman too. The soul of such a creature would not be likely to leave this event horizon or plane of existence.

This author has far less than I do - but do look for Cyrus Gordon and the Bat Creek Nine. He touches on Prince Madoc characters who may even have reached Madoc, Ontario near my family cottage where a park nearby has mysterious flora in the form of a prickly pine cactus which is not found anywhere near here and some small skinks or newts also from far off southern climes. The trade to Delaware and shells found in the barter, as well as a unique clay add to the mystery.

Strange State - Paranormal Mysteries: Lumbees, Melungeons, and the Mystery of the 'White Indians'

Last edited:
Back