• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Most Idiotic Statement

How idiotic was Matthews statement about "I forgot he was black"

• 1 - I loved it!

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 2 - Didn't bother me at all

• 3 - Meh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 - Hmmmm.

• 5 - On the fence

• 6 - Not sure he should have said that

• 7 - A little uncomfortable for me

• 8 - Ouch, not good

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • 9 - Geezus Chris, you on crack?

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • 10 - Dumbest damned thing I have ever heard.

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
This is the same guy that said tingles ran up his leg every time he heard Obama speak. When self-proclaimed objective journalists have orgasms when a politician speaks, something is weird. Ewwww!

In terms of watchability for me:

I'd go 15 Susterens = 8 Hannitys = 4 Becks = 1 Oreilly

Can't offer an opinion on CNN - I've never watched any of their shows, even in passing.

I think official cable ratings (at the prime 8pm spot) have Oreilly at about 950k viewers vs 195k for Olbermann vs 105k for Campbell Brown.

At 5pm you have Beck at 930K vs Chris Mathews at 90k vs 80k for Blitzer (ouch!)

Geez, in prime time, the Hallmark Channel, Family Channel, AMC, SyFy, and 18 others are above CNN. Well, CNN beats NickJR. ::)

Prime-time Average Viewers (Live+SD) Week of January 18-25, 2010

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="104"><col width="50"> <col width="54"> <tbody> <tr height="12"> <td height="12" width="50">Network</td> <td style="text-align: right;" width="54">(000s)</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">FOXN</td> <td align="right">3,213</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">USA</td> <td align="right">3,194</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">DSNY</td> <td align="right">2,475</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">NAN</td> <td align="right">2,236</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">TNT</td> <td align="right">1,979</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">A&E</td> <td align="right">1,845</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">LIFE</td> <td align="right">1,729</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">TBSC</td> <td align="right">1,597</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">HIST</td> <td align="right">1,541</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">FAM</td> <td align="right">1,442</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">HGTV</td> <td align="right">1,385</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">FX</td> <td align="right">1,329</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">TOON</td> <td align="right">1,326</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">ESPN</td> <td align="right">1,301</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">TRU</td> <td align="right">1,299</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">DISC</td> <td align="right">1,241</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">FOOD</td> <td align="right">1,204</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">SYFY</td> <td align="right">1,163</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">TLC</td> <td align="right">1,141</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">MTV</td> <td align="right">1,140</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">AMC</td> <td align="right">1,030</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">HALL</td> <td align="right">986</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">CNN</td> <td align="right">980</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">SPK</td> <td align="right">966</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">NKJR</td> <td align="right">812</td></tr></tbody></table>

Geez, in prime time, the Hallmark Channel, Family Channel, AMC, SyFy, and 18 others are above CNN. Well, CNN beats NickJR. ::)

Prime-time Average Viewers (Live+SD) Week of January 18-25, 2010

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="104"><col width="50"> <col width="54"> <tbody> <tr height="12"> <td height="12" width="50">Network</td> <td style="text-align: right;" width="54">(000s)</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">FOXN</td> <td align="right">3,213</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">USA</td> <td align="right">3,194</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">DSNY</td> <td align="right">2,475</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">NAN</td> <td align="right">2,236</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">TNT</td> <td align="right">1,979</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">A&E</td> <td align="right">1,845</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">LIFE</td> <td align="right">1,729</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">TBSC</td> <td align="right">1,597</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">HIST</td> <td align="right">1,541</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">FAM</td> <td align="right">1,442</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">HGTV</td> <td align="right">1,385</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">FX</td> <td align="right">1,329</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">TOON</td> <td align="right">1,326</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">ESPN</td> <td align="right">1,301</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">TRU</td> <td align="right">1,299</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">DISC</td> <td align="right">1,241</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">FOOD</td> <td align="right">1,204</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">SYFY</td> <td align="right">1,163</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">TLC</td> <td align="right">1,141</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">MTV</td> <td align="right">1,140</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">AMC</td> <td align="right">1,030</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">HALL</td> <td align="right">986</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">CNN</td> <td align="right">980</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">SPK</td> <td align="right">966</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td height="12">NKJR</td> <td align="right">812</td></tr></tbody></table>

MSNBC doesn't even rank... what a sorry excuse for a network

IMHO, this is generational and a reflection of the times he lived in where different skin pigmentation was associated with different classes of humans.

I think the current generation is way past that kind of judgment and I'd be very surprised if I heard a statement like that 10 years from now and it was tolerated.

Kind of hard to take Matthews serious when he is an open Communist.

Even if that were true, a Communist is not the same as a Nazi: it is possible for a decent, well-meaning and intelligent person to be a Communist - they just have to be blind to the fact that it's absurd to believe in historical inevitability, immoral to believe that the end justifies the means, and illogical to believe that the proletariat should have a dictatorship any more than anyonel else should (unless you want to expand the definition of "proletariat"). This is actually true of many people.

Frankly I'd trust the moral sense of a Communist over an Objectivist any day of the week.

Personally I think Matthews is well-meaning enough, but a bit of a dick.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

On a scale from 1 to 10 below, rate this statement by Matthews, 1 being not idiotic at all, and 10 being most idiotic.
By saying he forgot Obama was black for the duration of the speech Matthews impled (rightly or wrongly) that the rest of the time he is acutely conscious of the fact. That's disturbing.

What normal person gives a shit about the so-called "race" of their politicians any more than their height or hair-colour?...oh, wait, that's right. People do tend to vote for tall people with good hair.

So much for that democracy wheeze.

Even if that were true, a Communist is not the same as a Nazi

I'll stop the quote there.

What?

No kidding. What was your point with that comment? I never claimed he was a Nazi. That word never came out. Excuse me, but what the fuck are you talking about?

Saul Alinsky was an open Communist in his writings (Rules for Radicals). Chris Matthews said he is one of his heros. Thus, my comment. I don't know where you were going there or just made a bad comment by mistake.

I think official cable ratings (at the prime 8pm spot) have Oreilly at about 950k viewers vs 195k for Olbermann vs 105k for Campbell Brown.

At 5pm you have Beck at 930K vs Chris Mathews at 90k vs 80k for Blitzer (ouch!)

I used to watch a variety of them on both sides of the spectrum. I just can't anymore. Too much opinion and not enough substance.

I used to watch a variety of them on both sides of the spectrum. I just can't anymore. Too much opinion and not enough substance.
My issue with most all of them is the constant repetition. They say the exact same thing over and over and over again. If I'm in the car going somewhere I'll tune in for a few minutes, but I never seek these guys/gals out. It's much too depressing.

My issue with most all of them is the constant repetition. They say the exact same thing over and over and over again. If I'm in the car going somewhere I'll tune in for a few minutes, but I never seek these guys/gals out. It's much too depressing.

Its not just repetitious, its utterly predictable repetition based on ideology above all else.

By saying he forgot Obama was black for the duration of the speech Matthews impled (rightly or wrongly) that the rest of the time he is acutely conscious of the fact. That's disturbing.

What normal person gives a shit about the so-called "race" of their politicians any more than their height or hair-colour?...oh, wait, that's right. People do tend to vote for tall people with good hair.

So much for that democracy wheeze.[/QUOTE]

why would you need to forget somebody's physical appearance? the way he phrased that, he was suggesting there is something wrong about Obama's appearance that needed to be overlooked.

it is what it is, we are what we are in appearance and that ought to be good enough for anybody, and if it isn't, well, tough.

Back