• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

More WOW signals ?

So the source could be 5.5 billion light years away ?Does this mean the bursts were send 5.5 billion years ago ?If so , if they come from ET , do they still exist ?

So the source could be 5.5 billion light years away ?Does this mean the bursts were send 5.5 billion years ago ?If so , if they come from ET , do they still exist ?

Yes, if they are from that distance, then they are 5.5 billion years old. Could a civilization survive that long? I think maybe they could, but of course that is just a guess,

Do those signals travel at the speed of light ?.

I think any civilization that lasts more that 250 thousand years is doing well, theres got to be a big rock out there heading for every planet, its just a matter of when, not if,imo.
Plus theres a million and one other ways to go extinct.

It has to be ours doesnt it ?.

I know this is a dumb question but I'll ask:) , can our own "noise" filter out and bounce back at us and be misinterpreted as a signal?

Yes most certainly I would think it could.
Sorry if I tend to liken things to my own filed of work but in sound engineering we have "Diffusion, Transmission, Absorption, and Reflection" Radio waves experience the same conditions so I expect it indeed possible that we could have our own signals returned to us. Yes I know this happens in the magnetosphere etc already but in theory it should also happen when they hit other celestial bodies.
Just a thought anyway.

Sorry if I tend to liken things to my own filed of work but in sound engineering we have "Diffusion, Transmission, Absorption, and Reflection" Radio waves experience the same conditions so I expect it indeed possible that we could have our own signals returned to us. Yes I know this happens in the magnetosphere etc already but in theory it should also happen when they hit other celestial bodies.
Just a thought anyway.
Holy crap this is a deep thought i just had, what makes a sound die? How many things can it ping off of before dying. And no I didn't just smoke one!

Just a thought anyway.

Well, yeah, in theory, but you need to develop a feel for how big space is. No, bigger than that. Even bigger....

Reflected energy goes like 1/R^4, which means that even our most powerful RADAR transmitters struggle to get a reflection from something as near as Venus (they have done it, but it's quite a feat). So, the FRBs are certainly not that.

This is what paul is getting at about large, the nearly 2 hour journey at the speed of light.
Light leaving the sun at the centre of our universe, and then leaving in a straight line.

Last edited:
Well, yeah, in theory, but you need to develop a feel for how big space is. No, bigger than that. Even bigger....

Reflected energy goes like 1/R^4, which means that even our most powerful RADAR transmitters struggle to get a reflection from something as near as Venus (they have done it, but it's quite a feat). So, the FRBs are certainly not that.

Fair enough.
To be honest I had not thought of signal strength but now that you point it out it would be a heck of a lot of energy to get a decent reflection.
The FRBs on the other hand have me fascinated as to what is generating them. and I will keep my eye on this thread.

Fair enough.
To be honest I had not thought of signal strength but now that you point it out it would be a heck of a lot of energy to get a decent reflection.
The FRBs on the other hand have me fascinated as to what is generating them. and I will keep my eye on this thread.

Yeah, I'm fascinated to, as is much of the astronomical community. WE need more FRB detections at a greater diversity of radio telescopes.

Origins Of Mysterious Radio Wave Bursts Discovered
April 10, 2015 | by Stephen Luntz
LINK: Origins Of Mysterious Radio Wave Bursts Discovered | IFLScience

TEXT: "The source of puzzling radio wave bursts detected by two of the world's largest telescopes has been found, and the answer turns out to come from the research facilities' tea rooms, not extragalactic space.

"Earlier this year, Swinburne University's Emily Petroff was the lead author of a report on the first observation of a fast radio burst (FRB) in real time. Previously, the enormously powerful but poorly understood events known as FRBs had only been detected in the records of large radio telescopes years after they happened.

"However, among those records was something else, which astronomers named perytons. The first peryton detected was in 1998, although it was not recognized as such until 2011. Perytons look sufficiently like FRBs that astronomers even speculated that the first FRB, known as 010724, might actually have been a peryton.

"Perytons last about half a second and are “frequency-swept,” meaning different frequencies arrive at different times, which in perytons's case means the high frequencies appear first. Petroff says, frequency-sweeping is commonly associated with signals that have passed through an interstellar medium that has delayed certain frequencies more than others.

"However, while FRBs are believed to come from outside our own galaxy, perytons were thought to be terrestrial in origin, since they registered on multiple beams of the radio telescopes, something that should only be possible for events that are very nearby or spread across a huge area of the sky.

"However, according to Petroff, “A lot of theories thought it might be atmospheric; radio pulses from lighting or ball lightning, etc.” So Petroff set out to solve the problem. As one of her co-authors, Dr. Evan Keane, said on twitter, “As a scientist you are basically a detective solving mysteries—it's fun.”

"One clue Petroff had was that all recorded perytons were observed during daylight, and indeed during business hours. When the observatory at Parkes installed a radio frequency interference (RFI) monitor, it picked up signals coinciding with some perytons detected by the famous dish. This confirmed the local nature of the events and indicated the signal was also occurring at frequencies beyond what the radio telescope can detect.

"Using this information, Petroff narrowed down the possibilities until she eventually identified the source—microwave ovens in the observatory tea room opened while in operation. A test conducted on March 17 confirmed two ovens could reproduce perytons whenever the telescope was pointed appropriately. Although modern ovens have automatic mechanisms to switch-off when opened prematurely, it seems they don't do this without complaint. “We're still not sure how they are causing this signal,” Petroff says, “It might have something to do with discharge of energy in the oven's magnetron when shutting down.”

"The demonstration that ovens are the cause of petryons, and that FRB 010724 is almost certainly a real FRB, has been accepted for the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. It is also available on arXiv.org, with Petroff once again the first author, despite having yet to complete her PhD.

"Petroff told IFLS that “It takes a 64m dish to pick up the radiation,” so she doubts perytons are dangerous to those too impatient to stop the oven before opening. Nevertheless, she has advised on Twitter that it “Still might be good to advise staff to wait. It's a small lesson in patience.”

"Petroff says the culprit has not been identified and denies plans to “point fingers.” "

Last edited:
LOL thats pretty funny

I had something similar happen many years ago.

We had just installed a new fangled high speed printer in the computer room, a very large very expensive printer.
At random and always in the small hours of the morning it would start printing garbage.

The techs from HP went insane trying to fix it, they replaced every circuit board, even had a senior tech fly out from the states.
They could never replicate the problem.

Everyone was going nuts, the dept manager developed a nervous tic.

Then one day the evening job run crashed, by the time we restored the backups and started the runs we were 5 hours behind, itself a disaster.

So i was using the decolater (device that removes the carbon from mutli part computer paper) 5 hours later than usual, and bingo it started printing garbage while the tech was watching.

Noise from its motor was causing the problem. the night operators never saw it because if they were using the decolater they wernt able to see the printer.

63251-web-format2.jpg

Difficult thing to use, get it wrong and it could explode paper all over the place, we would use 6 boxes of 4 part paper a night , and it only removed one layer of carbon paper at a time

Back