• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Moon anomalies: These three are compelling

Just out of curiosity, is that little crater with the blue light on the light side, or dark side of the moon?

If it's on the light side, one would think that we could see it with a decent telescope, and not be blinded.

No such thing as a light side and dark side. There is however a far side and a near side.

As for the the blue light phenomenon, well it only 'comes on' occasionally. Read the link in the OP for LOTS more info.

When I said light side, I meant the side of the moon that faces the Earth.

The fact that this light seems to turn on and off at its own will, tells me that perhaps this isn't some phenomena intrinsic to the moon, but perhaps something going on, ON the moon.

Awesome pics that really make you wonder what the hell is going on up there.

Well, the shard is eight miles high, so it's not a guy in a spacesuit.

My observation was that it looked like the spacesuit and flag, not that it was, but if it IS, and it is 8 miles high, that would be even weirder, wouldn't it?

do they have a closer look at it anywhere?

Gareth,

And yes, Pixelsmith, I heard you, I suspect that the Hubble is designed for specific wavelengths of light and optical distances, it might be difficult - if not impossible - to use it to image the moon's surface. I'm not an expert on the Hubble hardware, so I reserve the right to be wrong.

dB

There were some moon photos done by Hubble, I think you probably meant those narrow bandwidth filters for detecting hydrogen and other elements in nebulas, but I think Hubble can also do RGB images.

The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera, or LROC,
is a system of three cameras mounted on the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO)
that capture high resolution photos of the lunar surface.

LROC Website

NAC-5fdb382340a4459360330b552b94d3ce.jpg

Back