• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Montauk Project — Real or Fake? Ask Christopher Garetano

Free episodes:

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
Legend has it that the Montauk Project involved a set of secret tests conducted at the Montauk Air Force Station in Montauk, New York. It was purportedly designed to develop psychological warfare techniques and exotic research. It is said to be related to the legend of the Philadelphia Experiment due to its supposed time travel connection.

Well, independent producer and director Christopher Garetano has reportedly spent more than 10 years probing this alleged conspiracy, and has released a documentary film, "Montauk Chronicles," to present his findings.

We know this is a highly disputed subject, and we are anxious to get Christopher's take on the matter. The episode will be recorded on Tuesday, August 11, beginning at 11 AM Pacific time.

You can learn more about the project here: Official Website of The Montauk Chronicles: A Christopher P. Garetano Film. A Study Of Fear, Lies, Paranoia, and The Truth.

Interesting. There was a time, 20 years ago, that I was deep into this whole "Montauk thing," having been turned on to it by a friend. I read several books by Preston Nichols and Stewart Swerdlow. I even went to 3 or 4 "lectures" in Los Angeles by Stewart Swerdlow with my friend back in the mid-90s. Strange, wild, completely "out there" kind of stuff. Time travel chairs, infant sacrifices, the Bushes, Clintons, etc. drinking the blood of babies, aliens, mind-control, mind wipes, targeted assassinations, I could go on... I can't even remember all of it these days. Entertaining and very creative but none of it remotely verifiable or even plausible. I am really looking forward to this episode.

If questions are appropriate:

A) Does Garetano's film directly investigate or mention the claims made by author Preston Nichols (which may be a pseudonym) in the books he has written about the Montauk base and the experiments allegedly conducted within?

B) Does the film address the wide-ranging and seemingly wild claims made by the alleged "psychically-gifted" long time project participant/prisoner in the program, Stewart Swerdlow? Did he talk to Swerdlow for the film and was he able to verify ANY of Swerdlow's claims about the project, his involvement or the claims he makes about himself, personally?

I understand that Mr. Garetano delayed the Montauk Chronicles so he could add footage of one of the "experiencers" featured in the film--a seemingly younger man than Nichols et. al. who claimed to be the victim of an "ongoing" extension of the Montauk Project. I have to say, one of the most shocking and impactful parts of Garetano's documentary is when this man explains how a doppelganger of his father abducted him, took him to the base at Montauk, and cut off his own face in front of him, then put it back on. The man seemed very sincere and, actually, quite bitter and enraged over his experiences. Can Mr. Garetano explain how he found this guy and what convinced him of the veracity (or at least plausibility) of his claims?

We just finished the recording session.

Now Chris Garetano is a pretty level-headed guy. He's not peddling falsehoods, illusions, fiction, but appears to be making an honest effort to understand the stories and what they mean and he plans another movie to explore it further.

You'll enjoy this episode. We had lots of fun with it. And I have a background as one of the advisors to the Charles Berlitz book on a related episode, "The Philadelphia Experiment," in the 1970s. And I don't believe that story either, but just FYI.

We just finished the recording session.

Now Chris Garetano is a pretty level-headed guy. He's not peddling falsehoods, illusions, fiction, but appears to be making an honest effort to understand the stories and what they mean and he plans another movie to explore it further.

You'll enjoy this episode. We had lots of fun with it. And I have a background as one of the advisors to the Charles Berlitz book on a related episode, "The Philadelphia Experiment," in the 1970s. And I don't believe that story either, but just FYI.

Looking forward to it. I love the trippier, more mind-bending stuff, pushing the border between fact and phenomenology.

I've been to Camp Hero a few times and I saw nothing unusual of the place. Personally, like Gene, I think it's all fabricated story's as well.

I try to digest whatever material I can about high strangeness, and I read several of the Nichols/Moon Montauk Books. I try to keep an open mind, but something about these particular books read like poorly written fantasy. I couldn't buy the claims as they were presented, nor did I enjoy the reading. My BS meter was blaring the whole time. I'm excited to hear the show and hopefully get more insight.

Sounds like an interesting interview. Looking forward to hearing it.

I read I think it was Blue Blood True Blood (not really sure) but it seemed to me he was blaming all the bad on Montauk and all good on his new age ideas.
There was one part of the book where he claimed he fell victim to a beautiful red head because of his programming. I thought wow your wife bought that?

After years of being exposed to the stories about Montauk, I do not believe a word of it. Like Dulce, it has become an urban myth that always appeals to newbies in the field of the paranormal, the strange and the inexplicable.

After years of being exposed to the stories about Montauk, I do not believe a word of it. Like Dulce, it has become an urban myth that always appeals to newbies in the field of the paranormal, the strange and the inexplicable.
For the sake of discussion, can you give us a short list of the main facets of the case that in your opinion indicate that the story is a fabrication?

For the sake of discussion, can you give us a short list of the main facets of the case that in your opinion indicate that the story is a fabrication?
No. I gave my opinion, but I feel no need to explain it or defend it. And I only come here perhaps once every 3-4 months, so having a discussion would be impossible.

No. I gave my opinion, but I feel no need to explain it or defend it. And I only come here perhaps once every 3-4 months, so having a discussion would be impossible.
That's too bad. I'm not that familiar with the case and would like to have heard some specifics from someone who seems to have done their homework on it.

Last edited:
That's too bad. I'm not that familiar with the case and would like to have heard some specifics from someone who seems to have done their homework on it.

It's a waste of time, believe me, you are not missing much other than urban myth, however you can still see the bunkers, radar tower and some trails you can take over there, and not to mention a nice beach strip till this day. Which is probably the main reason I go out there some times -- that, and some good seafood. People see, and report all sorts of strange things down in the south shore of LI. Come to think of it...I did see my first sighting not too far from there at Robert Moses State park beach ( Well, about 90 miles away, all relative ) This time of year too, during the Perseid meteor shower. I guess you can say we get some weird shit happening here around this time of year.

This just reminds me that we just actually had a sighting in Lake Ronkonkoma a couple weeks ago. Supposedly a craft the size of an 18 wheeler was seen hovering around the neighborhood and then headed towards to MacArthur airport in Islip, You are being redirected... it's actually 10 mins from my home and 5 mins from my work. I guess I missed out. I do have access to infrared cameras at my work, and I'll do some digging around once I clear some discrepancies of the time and date of the Mufon report that was submitted. I'll post any findings here if you guys are interested enough that is.

I didn't know about the Aleister Crowley summoning Lam part in Montauk -- that's interesting Chris.

Last edited:
It's a waste of time, believe me, you are not missing much other than urban myth, however you can still see the bunkers, radar tower and some trails you can take over there, and not to mention a nice beach strip till this day. Which is probably the main reason I go out there some times -- that, and some good seafood. People see, and report all sorts of strange things down in the south shore of LI. Come to think of it...I did see my first sighting not too far from there at Robert Moses State park beach ( Well, about 90 miles away, all relative ) This time of year too, during the Perseid meteor shower. I guess you can say we get some weird shit happening here around this time of year.

This just reminds me that we just actually had a sighting in Lake Ronkonkoma a couple weeks ago. Supposedly a craft the size of an 18 wheeler was seen hovering around the neighborhood and then headed towards to MacArthur airport in Islip, You are being redirected... it's actually 10 mins from my home and 5 mins from my work. I guess I missed out. I do have access to infrared cameras at my work, and I'll do some digging around once I clear some discrepancies of the time and date of the Mufon report that was submitted. I'll post any findings here if you guys are interested enough that is.

I didn't know about the Aleister Crowley summoning Lam part in Montauk -- that's interesting Chris.
After listening to the show, I feel much more informed and tend to agree with your assessment. But I still enjoyed the show because I like urban myth stories. I also believe that strange things do happen. So if one makes it their campaign to study a particular locale long enough, eventually they're going to accumulate a case file, and that seems to be what's going on with Garetano. You've got to admire that kind of persistence and enthusiasm, and because he avoided out and out promotion of belief in everything about the case, I don't think he's fallen off the edge into the land of complete woo mongering. I hope he's able to do well with all the effort he's put into his investigations.

After listening to the show, I feel much more informed and tend to agree with your assessment. But I still enjoyed the show because I like urban myth stories. I also believe that strange things do happen. So if one makes it their campaign to study a particular locale long enough, eventually they're going to accumulate a case file, and that seems to be what's going on with Garetano. You've got to admire that kind of persistence and enthusiasm, and because he avoided out and out promotion of belief in everything about the case, I don't think he's fallen off the edge into the land of complete woo mongering. I hope he's able to do well with all the effort he's put into his investigations.

Oh I know, I absolutely concur, take nothing away from the show. I enjoyed listening to him, and I learned a few things about the area that I didn't know, which is always a plus. Chris G. is definitely a level headed guy it seems. I also think he's out to make a little cash from the wacky stories more than anything, and there is nothing wrong with that. You might as well try to after you put so much time and effort investigating these stories.

Last edited:
Back