• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

mirror mirror on the wall

Free episodes:

bogie13p

Skilled Investigator
As I have mentioned in my previous posts, I have been experiencing weird things my entire life. For some reason though, the thing that scares me the most, has never happened. Mirrors pretty much freak me out. Not mirrors in the light, but mirrors in the dark. I think at some point most people have unknowingly walked past a mirror at night and been startled by their reflection. I have a fear of seeing something scary in a dark mirror. I am pretty sure I have Oprah to blame for this. Let me explain...

Back in the 80s and early 90s, Oprah had kind of a normal talk show. It wasn't always about celebrities and self improvement and all of that stuff. I was probably around 10 or so, and she had this episode about Psycomanteums. It is where a mirror is put in an extremely dark room with just a little bit of outside light. The point is to sit there until you communicate with dead loved ones. According to the show, the Greeks were all into it. They had Oprah try, but she thought she heard something odd and came out after just a couple of minutes. So she made one of her producers go in. They came out and said they had heard and seen some stuff. I don't remember the details. Ever since then, I have been afraid of mirrors in the dark.

This was also about the same time kids in my school started doing the whole "bloody mary" thing. Being afraid of mirrors in the dark anyway, I refused to take part of any of that. BTW, this was before the Candyman movies, or they would have probably tried that too. Two of my close friends at the time tried it. One was very calm and practical and the other was always kind of hyper. The calm one calmly said that she did in-fact see a strange reflection of a lady. The hyper one actually passed out and had to go to the nurse. I was telling another friend about it on a car ride home. Her mom was a uber-catholic and overheard us. She got very serious and made us swear we would never do it. She said when she was in school a boy did it and I am not sure if he passed out and hit his back or head, but my friends mom claimed he ended up really hurt. I grew up and was still afraid of mirrors, but also realize how silly this fear is. I'm sure children with overactive imaginations see their reflections and because of the adrenaline of the moment, think they are seeing something else.

Two years ago, I made friends with a girl who had also had several odd things happened. She ended up helping me around the house after an ankle surgery and somehow my mirror fear came up. She said when she was in school she did the Bloody Mary thing and saw a horribly scary woman that she will never forget. She too passed out and woke up in the nurses office. Like I said, I have never had an experience involving a mirror, but I am kind of curious if other people have. I am very skeptical about this kind of thing where eyes can play tricks on someone, but at the same time, I have seen some weird stuff in my life, so ...yeah... thats where I am.

Not so much mirrors, but I do seem to have an irrational fear open windows at night...like something is going to look in at me.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n7ZAcXbHvSg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n7ZAcXbHvSg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Back