• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Mesopotamian clay tablet describes a coracle - Noah's Ark?

Free episodes:

pong

Groupthink Must Die
coracle.jpg

British Museum: Prototype For Noah's Ark Was Round

"A recently deciphered 4,000-year-old clay tablet from ancient Mesopotamia - modern-day Iraq - reveals striking new details about the roots of the Old Testament tale of Noah. It tells a similar story, complete with detailed instructions for building a giant round vessel known as a coracle - as well as the key instruction that animals should enter 'two by two.'"

article-1269165-0953E5A2000005DC-473_634x428.jpg

Ararat. My God, Turkey is full of so many ancient enigmas you can't count them all. It's on my "A" list for travel, along with Peru.

coracle.jpg

"A recently deciphered 4,000-year-old clay tablet from ancient Mesopotamia - modern-day Iraq - reveals striking new details about the roots of the Old Testament tale of Noah. It tells a similar story, complete with detailed instructions for building a giant round vessel known as a coracle - as well as the key instruction that animals should enter 'two by two.'"

If it was me I would have preferred a boat with a sail, because I would not fancy going on the open ocean in a coracle!

Apparently the earliest depiction of a boat with sails is older than the tablet in question, and was discovered in the same geographical region:

"The earliest representation of a ship under sail appears on a painted disc found in Kuwait dating between 5000 and 5500 BC."*

Which makes me think that there must have been a reason that a "coracle" design was preferred to a "reed" boat with sails and rudder?

It could be as simple as the storm allegedly sent by god was so fierce that a sail would have been more trouble than use, however I would not fancy rowing a boat that contained 2x every animal on the planet, especially in a cataclysmic storm! Noah must have been quite an "oarsman".

((source)): Sailing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And who said getting a degree in basket weaving has no practical value ! ?

coracle-jpg.3609

maybe he did get it right many times, and we are a friday afternoon job, or there again maybe he is just a figment of peoples imagination, maybe i am just an electrical impulse in some matrix, how is knowing going to pay my electricity bill ?.

Back