• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Meat grown in lab

Why am I afraid that test-tube babies will be raised on lab-grown meat? This has Bill Gates fingerprints all over it.

Not quite, but it sounds real close.

I first tried a veggie burger more years ago than I care to count. I could live with 'em, really.

It is all about seasoning and flavouring, with skill and practice it is possible to make even the cheapest parts of a carcass taste edible, things like connective tissues, eyelids and tendons etc.
Obviously this does not apply to whole cuts like steaks or chops, but I would sooner eat a Lab grown Hamburger than a "normal" one, because in some cases a "normal" burger can contain parts of literally thousands of individual animals, which is a recipe for disaster. In very simplistic terms: the more animals a meal contains, the higher the chance that one or more of those animal was sick, and eating a sick animal can in turn make you terminally ill.

The above does not mention the other factor at play and that is ethics, many people don't eat meat on the basis that they don't like the idea of animals being killed for their food, and Lab grown meat offers some solution to this, and I am confident that they will make a lot of money selling it.

There is also an environmental lobby at play here, my understanding is that Cows and Pigs produce greenhouse gasses as incredibly high levels through digestion, I don't think the same is true of lab grown meat.

I am usualy completely opposed to GM foods etc but in this case, I hope it works and that people buy into the concept, because I believe it will reduce cruelty and suffering, which can not be a bad thing.

Ive been following the Invitro meat story for many years. At this stage of the game the energy that needs to go into the bio-reactors is still very high. Which impacts cost. NASA were the original researchers for obvious reasons.

I can't wait until I can 3D print a proper Alberta steak.

Just like the replicators on Star Trek. 'Computer, grass fed steak, ribeye, medium rare. Big. And a Traditional Ale.'

Back