• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

McKinnon loses extradition appeal

I have never quite understood this story.

1) McKinnon hacks into US government computers using unchanged default passwords on Windows systems with a default terminal server program on them and active. I can believe this. No problem. The default is on. Been there, done that myself.

2) These computers were connected to the public Internet an accessible to the entire world. I can believe that, too.

3) The US says he caused thousands of dollars worth of damage. I suppose it's possible that he trashed file systems while connected, but I doubt it and the government's case. That would be a stupid thing for him to do if he were trying to remain in stealth mode and actually find stuff. A spy tries hard not to leave footprints. I can't see how he could accidentally cause damage in terminal server mode snooping around a hard drive. Prove it.

4) While connected to these publicly accessible computers he found vast troves of UFO information.

Uh, no. That does not sound credible to me at all and he hasn't produced even one byte of it. If I'd done that I would have copied over those files to my own machine as fast as I could. BTW, he was on dial-up, not exactly a fast connection. He says this is why he doesn't have stuff, but the fact is, to see it at all, you have to effectively 'download' it. To see a jpeg, it needs to be in YOUR memory to display on YOUR screen. To see a PDF it has to download first, then it's an easy save.

The reason his story does not sound credible is because of how top secret information is handled by the government. We all know of the 'need to know' compartmentalized nature of US security. We also know that anything UFO-related has got to be rated very highly secret by the government. It's locked down. Few people know the whole story.

I have some personal knowledge of how this works. I'm not claiming detailed expertise in top secret networks, but I do have journeyman-level expertise in networks and network design. I was once a CNE (Certified Novell Engineer, not that that means anything in this day and age) and have personally designed and built many networks with as many as 500 machines and a dozen remote locations connected by anything from dial-up to Frame Relay to fiber optics. Part of the operation was an ISP with 35,000 subscribers and a hundred modems. My machines have been hacked, spit-upon, beat up, spammed, trolled, and kicked in the rear so many times that security became a full time job. I have also worked around and for the military all my working life, have held a Secret Clearance (working on Trident SSBNs), and have lots of 'friends in the biz.' I hired ex-military computer guys to help run my networks. Lots of shop talk.

The US does, of course, have network access, but 'secret stuff' is on entirely separate networks--compartmentalization in action. These networks are NOT 'connected to the public Internet' at all. They are PHYSICALLY separated. There is NO network cable that travels from the secure network to the public Internet. Access to these networks is passworded and encrypted like you wouldn't believe.

Employees who have access to this kind of network are under very strict restrictions. For example, you cannot take a cell phone or a thumb drive (or any memory device whatsoever) into a secure installation. The most secure installations have razor wire on top of chain link fences surrounding the buildings with Marine guards and several checkpoints to gain entry before you even get to a keyboard. Anything Top Secret gets stored in a safe meeting government specs, including your hard drive when you're not there. And the thing is, some of this so-called Top Secret stuff is very ho-hum. If you knew about it, your likely reaction would be, "So? What's so damn secret about this? Big deal!" Really. Most of it is just 'stuff' of little consequence.

If you are a technician with a Top Secret clearance assigned to maintain machinery in a top secret installation, and when something breaks, the entire office area is 'sanitized' before you get there. Every other piece of equipment is covered with curtains and ONLY the machine you are working on is left exposed and accessible. You walk into a cloth tunnel to fix the machine, do your thing, and leave.

Now, assming there really is secret UFO stuff the government is hiding, how likely is it that the REAL reports, pictures, analyses, and what not are lying around on machines publicly accessible via the Internet? Do you really think the most highly classified subject the US has allows real information to lie around in the shared "My Documents" folder of a GS-9 worker bee's PC in the Commerce Department? Some guy might have a Billy Meier wedding cake pic on his machine for shits and giggles, but you're not going to find ultra top secret stuff on a random sample of machines you just happened to hack into.

I think McKinnon got caught snooping around US government computers and they are coming down on him like a ton of bricks, very publicly, which makes no sense. They should spend their energy fixing their silly security holes and just ignore McKinnon and say his claims are bogus. IMO McKinnon found nothing important about UFOs on these machines. It makes no sense whatsoever.

I assume that I am the only one here thinking this way… but there you go: You can't just hack in to U.S. defence department and Nasa and than just go all like oh look at me I was just looking for UFOs and I have Asperger’s …and stuff.

“... the Crown Prosecution Service said his hacking activities were not random experiments in hacking but a deliberate effort to breach US defence systems in 2001-02

How do you know what was he realy looking for and that he wasn’t working for British Secret Service or Chinese of whoever? :confused:

I don't know about you guys, I feel I can sleep at night now, knowing that the likes of Gary Mckinnon are locked away.
I mean look at him, he looks so spyish and thin, he talks funny to.
If I had my way, I would send some F22's over to make sure he dosen't tell any more of our super secrets! If any of those nosey, fish and chip eating Brits get in the way we should show them who's boss.
Sixty years behind bars i feel is not enough for this kind of crime, what do you expect from a bunch of screaming leftys! If George and Dick were still here they'd know what to do.
Oh i feel so safe now:)
Hmmm what to do? I know, I'm going to buy something, I'm off to the SHOPS!! YIPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
Oh man, we are so F#$@!^*^ Great!
God Bless America

4) While connected to these publicly accessible computers he found vast troves of UFO information.

Thinking back to when I've heard this talked about in any detail, he claimed to have found some rather routine looking document listing 'off world personnel' or something to that effect. So this leads to theories about a black space program, stargate, who knows. I don't vouch for this, just another part of the story around this guy that might be interesting to Google. This has been cited as the secret that has him in so much trouble.

This thing has never made any sense to me either. Just deny whatever he said he saw, leave the guy alone and beef up security.

I don't recall any vast troves. I remember him claiming to have seen a few photos of odd looking aircraft and a personel list that included "non-terrestrial officers" and that was it.

They should spend their energy fixing their silly security holes and just ignore McKinnon and say his claims are bogus. IMO McKinnon found nothing important about UFOs on these machines. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Not only that but it doesn't make sense twice. It doesn't make sense to crack down on McKinnon and thus draw attention to his claims and it doubly doesn't make sense to call attention to the inherent weaknesses in US government defense computers of that time, espescially since as part of McKinnon's own testimony he claims to have seen literally "dozens" of other unauthorized users online with him during his escapades.

Rather than save face, dragging this out does quite the opposite.

Pathetic.

Im extremely skeptical of any UFO information he claims to have found.

But still, this is was OTT.

I'm just glad it was a benign computer nerd who embarrassed the US military into getting its act together in the computer department, if that's really what happened. I agree that large parts of the story never have made any sense. I think the whole extradition thing was just more absurd theater from the paranoid end of the gummint. Apparently, a plea deal with a trial and sentence in the UK was acceptable to McKinnon, and would have been the most appropriate course in my opinion. It would all be history by now. I've always thought the then-current administration was just milking it for maximum fear value.

He did something illegal in full knowledge that it was illegal, so he has to face the consequences.

Why is that a problem?

Because the guy is basically harmless,60 years for something like that is reprehensible bullshit,If he was spraying depleted uranium around or starting wars or advocating torture then sure give him 60 years.

Because the guy is basically harmless,60 years for something like that is reprehensible bullshit,If he was spraying depleted uranium around or starting wars or advocating torture then sure give him 60 years.

The phrase was 'COULD face UP TO sixty years.' It'll never happen. He'll get one or two years, which is what he would face in Britain. Besides, his next step is the EU court system on Human Rights. If they agree to take it on, he'll never serve any time. Here's what he says of his 'moral crusade.'

"[UFOs] have been reverse-engineered," he said. "Rogue elements of Western intelligence and governments have reverse engineered them to gain free energy, which I thought was very important, in these days of the energy crisis."

This is strictly Exo-politics Greerian Disclosure stuff. What I have to wonder is, is there a connection? Of couse, the Salla attack on the Paracast is in the news now. Speculation on another thread is that the entire Exopolitucs 'movement' is bogus and some feel it is intentional. If THAT is true (not saying it is) then WTF is the US government DOING in this silly case? Does the right hand not know what the left hand is doing? (OK, don't answer that!) or is here a pattern to it?

I don't know. I'm confused.

Back