• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Mars May Be All Wet — But You Can't Drink It

So much for the Dead Sea Bottoms of John Carter's Barsoom:

Only time will tell.

Mars Gullies Likely Formed By Underground Aquifers.

And today: Mars may hide oceans of water beneath its crust, study finds

And Perseverance data to come: "Perseverance also carries a ground-penetrating radar instrument called RIMFAX ("Radar Imager for Mars' Subsurface Experiment"). RIMFAX will be the first rover instrument ever to look under the surface of Mars, mapping layers of rock, water and ice up to 33 feet (10 m) deep." -- from the text at this site (about 2/3 down): Perseverance rover: NASA's Mars car to seek signs of ancient life

Armchair challenge: see if you can spot Perseverance in this satellite image from a few days ago: https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/oaRvzTjTQtTWo9zgmpNmRS.jpg

. . . Note: once you open the image click inside it to enlarge it. If you can see Perseverance please tell me where it's located. ;)

I thought the concept of how you set up a colony on Mars was quite realistically rendered except for not quite grasping the gravity differences between the Red Planet and Earth.

Hmm I disagree on that, Mars gravity is about 37% of earth, that would not be so obvious to the eye.

For that, The Expanse was really cool in 1st season, with this Miller guy in Ceres. There were hummingbirds (?) flapping only here and then, since they did not need to due gravity. That was really well made.

Back