• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Mapping the Grim-a study of Black Dog phenomena in the UK (and elsewhere)

I think I saw one of these Hellhounds/Black dogs when I was quite a small child (probably no older than 9) It happened in a place called Cannock chase in Staffordshire (Midlands England) in the mid 1980s.

The way I remember it is:

I was with my family but had gone off exploring alone, for some reason I stopped, and then I saw an absolutely huge dog approaching me. It was incredibly muscular (more like a panther than a dog) but it definitely had a dogs head with a very square and powerful looking jaw, with glowing red eyes, it also did not have a tail like a cat. It did not get close enough for me to see its paws. Its legs were much thicker than a dogs.
I remember being absolutely petrified with fear, as strange as it sounds I felt like it said something along the lines of don't worry I wont hurt you (telepathically). It then went off in the other direction.
I believe that I told my family but I have asked recently and no one can remember it.

I am 100% certain that it was not an ordinary dog or even a Big cat, I have always been fascinated by animals and even at a young age would be able to identify if it was a normal creature (even an out of place one like a Big cat). The red eyes and musculature (especially the legs) were a dead giveaway.

I have looked online and found similar reports from the area. for example:
Cannock Chase Creatures | Mysterious Britain & Ireland

I also think that Nick Redfern could be worth contacting, because I was reminded about my experience when he talked about a similar incident.

That is interesting. And I wonder if the reports of black dogs are being replaced with big cats. If you lived in an earlier century, never having been to a zoo or having seen a big cat on TV or even a photograph, maybe the doglike aspects would be greater than the catlike traits. The mind tends to bend perception to what it knows, right?

Do you happen to know anything of the area's history? I found this article intriguing. There's a notion that dogs were buried as guardians for the dead (replacing the custom of assigning the task to a human), and that the black dogs are these wardens:
The Ankou, Churchyard Guardians, Black Dogs and Memento Mori - The Mystic Masque

Great post. So according to Nick Redfern and yourself, Cannok Chase is an extremely active paranormal spot. So much so that it should really be mentioned alongside places such as The Bridgewater Triangle, Marley Woods and Skinwalker Ranch.

Unfortunately, despite reported levels of activity being very high, it is unlikely to be a case of just going there and hey-presto......UFO or ghost or Black Dog on display!
I wish....

Regardless, I would think it might be worthwhile having a well-equipped investigative team set up in the Cannok Chase for a few weeks. Anyone got a spare team kicking about?

Do you happen to know anything of the area's history?

I will try to compile a brief history of the area and will post it here.

Off the top of my head I believe that it was part of the Kingdom of Mercia, and it is very rich in natural resources.

If I am not mistaken it is part of the Staffordshire triangle:

BBC - Stoke & Staffordshire - Discover Staffordshire - UFOs in Staffordshire?

@Goggs Mackay here is the website for a Paranormal research group in Staffordshire: STAFFORDSHIRE PARANORMAL RESEARCH TEAM

More to follow when time permits.

A small history of Cannock Chase:

Cannock Chase is located in South Staffordshire (Staffs for short).
Over the millennia it has seen many changes, and gone through many phases. At one time it was covered in warm sea water complete with Coral reefs, and it has also been a desert arid as the Sahara, at an other time it was covered in huge Glaciers and ice sheets. There are also many "Faults" that cris cross the county.
All of the Geological activity has resulted in deposits of valuable resources including but not limited to: Coal, Clays, Sands, Gravels and Minerals.

After the last Ice Age the area became densely forested with many huge Oak trees, there are also Springs and wells present.
The first written records about the general area were made by the Romans sometime after invasion.
Tacitus says that the area was inhabited by a Tribe called the Cangi it is believed by some that this gave Cannock Chase its name (Cangi becomes Cannock) but others believe that the name came from King Cnut (( alternate spelling Canute)) (A Danish Nobleman whom once ruled England).
The "Chase" part of Cannock Chase means a: reserved Hunting Area. e.g Enfield Chase.

Back