• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Looks like we lost some posts

In any case, in case anyone cares, here's the final chapter, we hope, of this adventure. :(

We uploaded files Sunday to a newly imaged (erased) server, with the latest Linux kernel and all the frills that entails -- whatever they are. :)

Everything worked fine -- except every time you accessed this forum, you got a database error. And when you do, we get an email to tell us about it. So figure thousands of emails cluttering our mailbox during this period.

With the help of the friendly folks at cPanel Inc., who makes our Web control panel software, we solved the problems and we're back.

Those of you who are into this sort of thing might appreciate what the issues ended up to be. Unix-type operating systems consist of files with various permissions that allow users and the computer to read and write data. It can get complicated, and if the permissions are wrong, files can't be read, copied or whatever. Especially the whatever. Mac OS X users, by the way, can encounter the same problems from time to time, though not very often.

Once the permissions issues were fixed, we had one more problem even more critical, which kept the database from being called on. The transfer from our backup server to our production server somehow corrupted the access information from our forum software to the database that stores all the posts, pictures and forum settings. That, too, had to be addressed.

So here we are. Now can I go back to sleep? :D

At least with UNIX you just have to deal with Kernels. If you think about it, it is just like the military. Colonels really run the thing and as long as you keep within the base parameters and get their permission they give you a degree of flexibility to do some great things. Generals, now that is the problem. Self important windbags that love to make strong and direct statements with absolutely no plan, forethought, desire or ability to actually change or do anything.

Running MS crap I was always dealing with Generals. General Failure, General Protection Fault, General Access Violation, and General Memory Error. True to form, when you get these Generals talking the only choice they give is for you to click the "OK" button.

I also have some weird problems, if it takes to post something a little bit more time, it throws me back on the login screen, and if I enter my credentials, it does not take me back where I was, it just redirects me back to the login screen. Then if I type in forum.theparacast.com, it shows me logged in though.

I also have some weird problems, if it takes to post something a little bit more time, it throws me back on the login screen, and if I enter my credentials, it does not take me back where I was, it just redirects me back to the login screen. Then if I type in forum.theparacast.com, it shows me logged in though.
You may be seeing relics of transferring DNS from the main server to the backup one (that's why we keep the backup). I don't expect this to continue for more than a day or so.

always dealing with Generals. General Failure, General Protection Fault, General Access Violation, and General Memory Error. True to form, when you get these Generals talking the only choice they give is for you to click the "OK" button.

They used to team up with Dr Watson, he always seemed a shady character to me.

Back