• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

looking for books for young minds

Rikki

Paranormal Adept
my Twin daughters have reached the teens (13) my oldest son has turned 7 and so I ask for ideas Books to nourish their minds give them a sense of the world...Books on our world and the place we hold in it. the mysteries of the unknown. Books that foster the ability to QUESTION to grow and to learn. the Books we seek are not taught in school nor discussed. But the sooner we teach our children to learn and understand or our world the better!
so lets hear them no idea will be turned away out of hand!

The Empty Mirror by JanWillem van de Wetering. One of the first Westerners to travel to Japan after WW2 in search of Zen Buddhism. A classic.

my Twin daughters have reached the teens (13) my oldest son has turned 7 and so I ask for ideas Books to nourish their minds give them a sense of the world...Books on our world and the place we hold in it. the mysteries of the unknown. Books that foster the ability to QUESTION to grow and to learn. the Books we seek are not taught in school nor discussed. But the sooner we teach our children to learn and understand or our world the better!
DK Media - Knowledge Encyclopedia
Both can enjoy this one

28009db37d4b4eb1a57ce18b5a0a54a5.jpg

Hi Rikki, for me books are a bit like shoes, it is very hard to chose them for somebody else.
My suggestion would be to let your children decide (under your supervision of course).
Does there school have a lending library? or is there a local one they could join?
In England we have a lot of second hand shops that sell books very cheaply, brand new books can be very expensive.
There are millions of books that you can read free online too.

I think Randal's suggestion of an Encyclopedia is a good one, because they could find topics for further research in there.
I find it very hard to learn if I am not interested in the subject I am studying.

One book that I think everybody should read, even though it is a children's book is called Amelia Badelia. It teaches us about language, and how things can be taken too literally:

745793d528925b115638d99a167bc229.jpeg

My parents subscribed to magazines like the Smithsonian, Science and Omni. Find some interesting magazines to subscribe to that gives them exposure to topics they may not ordinarily come accross. They may find things in them they would like to explore further.

This should be on every girl and boys list-a beloved book of my adolescence
The_Song_of_the_Lioness_-_Alanna_The_First_Adventure_-_Cover.jpg

Alanna: The First Adventure is a fantasy novel by Tamora Pierce, the first in a series of four books, The Song of the Lioness. It details the start and early days of Alanna of Trebond's training as a knight, hiding her real gender. Wiki

Back