• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Listening to This Week's Show

Gene Steinberg said:
On the other hand, if all our listeners would send us donations, or remember us in their wills, send us limousines for our personal use, etc., I don't think we'd you down :) :)

Will you accept a mildly used F250 4x4 and an all-too-often ridden Harley Davidson? ;)

hopeful skeptic said:
Will you accept a mildly used F250 4x4 and an all-too-often ridden Harley Davidson? ;)

I really haven't had a lot of experience with motorcycles, but I bet David would appreciate that :)

Or maybe not? I think he'd rather just have a scout ship to tool around in.

HS,

So what are you looking for, am I supposed to say to myself "I can't provide physical evidence of my own paranormal experiences, so they didn't happen and I shouldn't talk about them"? What exactly does THAT accomplish? You cite "possible physical trace evidence" - the words POSSIBLE and TRACE speak volumes. It's not that I don't think there are legitimate cases - the Trindade case is one of the strongest around, IMO - and Blue Book contains lots of compelling cases, but hard physical evidence? Sorry, no dice there. Does someone on this planet have such evidence? I suspect so. Can I prove it? No. Can you? Can you prove otherwise? Go for it.

Right now, it seems to me that the world is becoming more polarized in every way, from basic human interactions to the most important issues of the day. You want me to prove everything as an absolute, which is just ridiculous. Chaos has some outer parameters, but it's called chaos for a reason: it's a dynamic system, it changes, it's part of a feedback loop. You believe in the absolute power of deductive reasoning, which is fine, but I submit that the Universe is far more capable of surprising you than you are of anticipating being surprised by it at any given moment. Part of human vanity is devotion to the limits of our own biology, as if your eyes are capable of seeing all the information in front of them. Reality check: your eyes see a tiny visible spectrum sliver of a huge electromagnetic realm, not the majority of the whole picture even by any scientific measure. Radar records tell us that something was in the air, but not a whole lot more.

So tell us all about what you KNOW and what deductive reasoning and facts were used to derive your knowledge.

Gene & I have created a way to talk about these topics, at our own expense, with no monetary gain, and we're happy to do that, but I'm getting a little pissed off at your accusations that I'm being less than logical or thoughtful. I'm not a religious fundamentalist, but I do indeed recognize that human knowledge and understanding only go so far, that's there's a lot of information that we lack regarding the nature of reality. Some of it seems to be beyond our ability to produce hard evidence - what am I supposed to do about that? Ignore stuff because our current science doesn't provide an explanation?

You state that Arigo is a fraud. I suppose that John G. Fuller was making up everything in his book about Arigo, "Surgeon of the Rusty Knife". Film clips, credible testimony, medical scrutiny, but I'm supposed to ignore all of this? My father was the director of film newsreels for a company in Caracas involved in producing the reels that ran at the local theaters. He did a segment debunking psychic surgeons, and interviewed a handful of Venezuelans that were cured by Arigo, which served as the counterpoint to the fakes. No, I don't have the segment - it was produced in 1975, a few years after Arigo died, the company that my father worked for seems to be out of business (it was owned by a fellow named Pedro Fuenmayor, who was on old friend of my Dad's), but I went on a couple of those shoots with my him, and those interviews sparked my own interest in Arigo, who is VERY well known throughout South America. Now, if you want to call me a liar, that I'm making this stuff up, how am I supposed to respond to that? The vast majority of so-called "psychic surgeons" are indeed bogus, but every indication is that Arigo was the real thing. Can I explain it? No. Does it appear to be true? Absolutely.

Did I expect chummy back-slapping? No, I didn't know what to expect, and Gene had to talk me into doing this, thank you very much. I guess if I can get even a couple of steps closer to understanding this mess, it was worth it. I'm not promoting a particular explanation or belief system, I don't have to believe in my experiences, they are part of my actual life, and if you've never lived through a paranormal experience, the corresponding confusion and frustration is hard to express adequately in words, or relate to. It shakes you to the core, and pumps some true humility into your worldview. It becomes crystal clear that we don't really know much about this Universe.

You complain endlessly about my objectivity - well, I have a news flash for you, I'm a human being, imperfect in my logic, flawed in my thinking, weak in some ways, strong in others. I know what I've experienced, I know others have experienced the same things, so I want to have discussions with folks interested in the topic, and open enough to understand that our instrumentation and scientific knowledge have boundaries. That's the fact, and it's not my doing. Apparently, I don't enjoy your absolute objectivity, but then again, I'm not a frikking object, I'm a subject, a person. I understand the role of humility in the process of life. I don't have the answers, I have questions, and you attack me for this stance. What am I supposed to say? You're a better person, more logical, thoughtful, objective? And how much more of an understanding of these topics has this superiority brought you? I reserve the right to be wrong at any given time. Do you?

If you can do better, go for it, start your own show, create your own forum. Nothing is stopping you.

dB

also well stated. i agree with David.

HS, you have made your points, they have been noted and yet you are like an annoying little gnat that will not go away.

interestedINitall said:
I'm not the first to state this on here; the onus lies with the claimant not the skeptic.

This thread has gotten very strange. I think it's something I said that sent certain people for a loop and then it snowballed from there. That's regrettable. People seem to be dividing into camps and that's counterproductive.

There have been some very surprising developments.

It is indeed a burden to prove to some. No matter which side. Especially when someone demands evidence of another, but provides none for their case.

Camp grounds have a lot of litter around them:)

These camps existed all along it's just no one bothered to notice where the lines in the sand were (until now, it seems)...

CapnG said:
These camps existed all along it's just no one bothered to notice where the lines in the sand were (until now, it seems)...

I noticed. It may have went un noticed that I noticed because I try not to label people here as believers, skeptics, and/or debunkers. The terms are often not accurate. I see "skeptics" believe things as much as believers as an example. I see "believers" be so skeptical that they are skeptical of not only believers, but skeptics too. I gravitated here because there seems to be a bit more open minded skepticsim here. I think both are important, and both are to my liking. A balance is nice. Little to no skepticism is gullibilty, and too much belief is just blind faith or dogma to me. Being dogmatic is thinking you're as smart as God, but having it backwards. Am-God.

I think it's "cards on table" time.

Let us be honest with each other.

Okay, this a direct question to Hopeful Skeptic:

Do you think that David B and Jeff R are making up their experiences?

A 'Yes' or 'No' response will suffice.

hopeful skeptic said:
Since Mr. Ritzmann won't answer this question, I'll pose it to you: How long should skeptics and reasonable people wait for tangible proof of these claims? When does the clock expire? At what point do evidentially unsupported claims get discarded?

Sorry I didnt even see this question, I actually dont live here on the board.

So, how long should people wait for tangible proof of the experience?

I have long said, for going on 20 years that there may not be tangible proof as we know it. I've also said the beings, "aliens" or whatever you want to call them, may not be physically tangible themselves...OR, might have the option or ability to be physical and non physical.

However, as I have said before I've had shared experiences with others both in the home and out. So there is an external element, and independantly observable one. But, the question is it "ping a rock" real.

I still dont know, and I've said that on here before.

So, I dont know that tangible proof as you wish it is ever going to be there.

You'll have to forgive me as I'm past little green (grey) men from outer space who fly around in spaceships. It's far more complex to me then that, and I dont even think about what "proof" can be gotten anymore. I've never been a subscriber to the ETH, because I never saw evidence of that in any experience I ever had.

Rick Deckard said:
I think it's "cards on table" time.

Let us be honest with each other.

Okay, this a direct question to Hopeful Skeptic:

Do you think that David B and Jeff R are making up their experiences?

A 'Yes' or 'No' response will suffice.

I'm don't want to "speak" for hopeful_skeptic but I would like to tackle this question. After rereading all of the latest mishagas in this thread I don't think hopeful_skeptic (or anyone else who is skeptical) is saying that they "made it up" (even my speculation was theoretical ). I think he's saying that without (okay, brace yourselves, I'm going to use that word) evidence, they're stories and not factual accounts of anything.

Again, this is only my interpretation.

pixelsmith said:
like the Bible?
Yes, precisely. There's no reason to think that Bible is 100% factual anymore than the Illiad or the Bhagavad-Gita.

What's your point?

interestedINitall said:
I'm don't want to "speak" for hopeful_skeptic but I would like to tackle this question. After rereading all of the latest mishagas in this thread I don't think hopeful_skeptic (or anyone else who is skeptical) is saying that they "made it up" (even my speculation was theoretical ). I think he's saying that without (okay, brace yourselves, I'm going to use that word) evidence, they're stories and not factual accounts of anything.

Again, this is only my interpretation.

...not factual accounts of anything...

Another way of saying LIE.

So tell me, what about my accounts indicates to you that I'm lying?

What do you think my motivation is for making my accounts up?

What do I have to gain?

dB

there is no proof that interestedINitall exists.
we have no proof he/she even has a brain.
do we have proof that any of us exist?
are we not just reflected light?

David Biedny said:

...not factual accounts of anything...

Another way of saying lie.

So tell me, what about my accounts indicates to you that I'm lying?

What do you think is my motivation for making this stuff up?

What do I have to gain?

dB

dB

I don't think you're lying. I wouldn't listen to the show every week to hear you lie. I think you had the experiences you say you did, however, you have to admit that they could have stemmed from an almost infinite number of sources.

That's what I think the skeptics are challenging.

Again, I find your stories fascinating. I've even written to you about the story of the CD appearing out of thin air. All these things are to be pondered but shouldn't just be believed because someone seems nice, intelligent, etc. and he or she said so.

Can't we enjoy pondering the possibilities?

The skeptics' contributions don't offer the same sort of fun, interesting, imagination expansion that stories of contact, ghost phenomena, etc. do but they are integral to any thoughtful examination of this sort of thing.

I don't understand the schism.

pixelsmith said:
there is no proof that interestedINitall exists.
we have no proof he/she even has a brain.
do we have proof that any of us exist?
are we not just reflected light?

*sigh*

Thank goodness for the ignore feature.

interestedINitall said:
I don't think you're lying. I wouldn't listen to the show every week to hear you lie. I think you had the experiences you say you did, however, you have to admit that they could have stemmed from an almost infinite number of sources.

That's what I think the skeptics are challenging.

Again, I find your stories fascinating. I've even written to you about the story of the CD appearing out of thin air. All these things are to be pondered but shouldn't just be believed because someone seems nice, intelligent, etc. and he or she said so.

Can't we enjoy pondering the possibilities?

The skeptics' contributions don't offer the same sort of fun, interesting, imagination expansion that stories of contact, ghost phenomena, etc. do but they are integral to any thoughtful examination of this sort of thing.

I don't understand the schism.

Sigh.

Look, I understand your point. I really do.

I will think VERY CAREFULLY before EVER offering to speak about another one of my experiences on the show. Even though I've repeatedly stated that I'm NOT looking for anyone to believe me, some of our listeners continue to think I'm looking for their approval. I AM NOT - my experiences exist outside of anyone's opinion.

Now I'll state this for the record: I don't UNDERSTAND what the source of my experiences are, so I'm not trying to provide answers, I'm just saying that these things HAPPENED to me, and I would really like to understand them. Wasting energy trying to prove that they actually happened so that YOU can BELIEVE me is not something I will spend time doing. I don't have physical evidence, and even if I did, those who want to think I'm making everything up will disregard and ignore anything short of a UFO landing on their heads and little green monkeys asking for beer and pretzels. And, BTW, it's not like I'm making my own personal experiences the central focus of the show - I simply want listeners to have an idea of the source of my personal interest in these topics. Take from my stories what you will, I really don't care one way or another.

If you have ideas or opinions as to the possible reasons for these things to happen to people, not just myself, then I'll be happy to engage in a conversation about them, but as I'm not claiming to have answers, I sure as hell won't defend the notion that I've witnessed some seriously odd stuff in my life. If you don't want to accept that I'm telling the truth about my experiences, no problem, but don't try to get me to convince you that they really did happen. I won't play along. Life is too short for this kind of dynamic.

dB

Back