• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Kind of creepy..

Free episodes:

bogie13p

Skilled Investigator
This is something that happened to me when I was a kid living in my grandparents old limestone house. I am first going to give a little back story on the old house...

The house had been built in the late 1800s. My grandparents bought it when they were in their 20s or 30s. My grandma said someone told them Will Rogers used to go to dances in the house a long time ago, so that was kind of interesting. My grandparents had paranormal experiences since they moved into the house. I lived with my grandparents for most of my childhood and I went through a stage where I was completely terrified to be in the house alone. It seemed like the ghost or whatever was in the house picked on me the most. It was a lot of general haunting stuff.. scary noises, a lot of old time-ey radio comming from a closet where there wasnt a radio, things moving, footsteps, feeling of someone with you, things would go missing and then randomly appear where you know you had looked, even the occasional apparition. The majority of the spooky vibe happened upstairs. I always had pet dogs and no matter how sweet or human-needy a dog was, you could not get a dog to stay upstairs with you. My bedroom was upstairs, so a lot of times I was a little more brave in the daytime and would go upstairs and play nintendo or listen to music. Dogs would start to whine and wimper as I would carry them upstairs. If i closed the door, they would scratch at the door and be so frightened they would usually pee a bit.

Anyway, when I was about 10 and because I was so afraid of the house, I almost always slept downstairs with my grandma in her bed or on the couch. I was a bit old for that though and one night decided to be brave and sleep upstairs in my own bed. I actually fell asleep pretty fast. I had been asleep a couple of hours and all of a sudden I woke up out of a dead sleep. For some odd reason a feeling that I can only describe as one of pure terror, fell over me. I was beyond frightened. It felt like something or someone was in the room. I just wanted to get out of there. I bolted downstairs and as I ran into my grandmas room there was a huge crash. This woke up both of my grandparents. By this time I was completely freaked out. The noise had come from upstairs. Holding my Grandpas hand, the three of us walked upstairs. When we got to my bedroom, the huge old ceiling fan had come down and landed on my bed. It brought huge chunks of celing with it. I had not had the fan on, so there was no reason that me sleeping there should have effected it. I hadnt been jumping in bed or anything that would make it come loose. The whole episode was just really weird. It was so odd that I woke up right before it happened. I dont remember a noise or anything waking me up. Everything was completely silent.

Anyway, I just thought it was really weird. I have loads of stories from that house and so does my family. I plan on posting some of the interesting ones in the near future.

Thats pretty scary!

Could you interpret that as a positive story? Whoever or whatever somehow manifested this sensation of pure terror in you as a way of evacuating you from your room so you dont get hurt by the falling fan.

Or I guess you could take it as a warning not to sleep there.

So what did you do after that? Did you put the fan back up? Did you sleep there the following night?

Yeah, its positive that I was scared at the right time to get out, but I am not sure if I was scared because something wanted to hurt me or just to protect me. I will never know. I actually got to redecorate my room and get a new bed. I never slept upstairs again. I slept downstairs. I was a big wuss. I am not afraid of much now though. I don't think I would be afraid. For years whenever I had nightmares, they were always about that old scary house.

It could have been. Once I was driving home late at night. I was going really fast and listening to loud music. Not many people were on the road so I didn't feel bad about speeding home. Suddenly, I had a weird feeling...I just had a feeling I needed to slow down. I slowed way down and turned off my radio. I turned around a corner and about 6 deer were in the middle of the road. It was kind of odd. I was glad I had actually slowed down, or I would have hit them.

Yeah I remember that story now. You made a thread about that right? With that in mind, if it was me, I would heavily lean towards the idea that it was a precog type thing.

Fascinating.

Yikes. I'd usually think something dismissive of the story if I hadn't had the same things happen in the house I grew up in too. No ceiling fan.

I won't sleep there anymore...not in about 3 years. About 5 years ago, I was visiting. I had to sleep in my brother's old room. I was sleeping and was woken up by an icy cold. At the same time, sweat was pouring from me and I couldn't get back to sleep because it was itchy as it ran off my chest and stomach. I turned on my back. Something suddenly began to frantically paw or pat against my feet through the quilt. The sheer terror that ran through me was incredible. I think my face did one of those 'death rictus' things! I was overwhelmed by this impression that whatever it was was insane and blind. The room was dark and I couldn't see anything, I was too terrified to turn the lamp on straight away and lay there with my heart pounding in my ears and breathing heavily.

Now, I've had SP and night terrors and this felt wholly different. i was awake for a start! In the light of day, I put it to the back of my mind and put it down to SP for peace of mind.

A long while after, I was working with my dad on a weekend. We were driving in the van. He told me that the night before he'd been coughing in his sleep (builder's chest) and gone and slept in my brother's room after a few digs by my mum. He then said that he'd been woken up by a feeling of extreme terror and something had touched his feet on the quilt. He flipped and leapt out of bed and left the room. He swears he'll never sleep in there again.

My SP rationale began to look pretty piss poor! A lot of other things have happened in the house over the years. Although I was the main target for mischief, friends, family and girlfriends had weird or scary experiences too. Voices in empty rooms. TVs turning on when you walked in the room. Knives and forks vanish and reappear days later. My brother's ex saw a black shadow walk down the side of the bed and vanish through a wall.

I was occasionally woken by the sound of something gliding up and down my bedroom wall. I had the impression it was a lost female and the sound was skirts against the wall. Not scary, but eerie. When I left, my folks would sometimes hear footsteps in my room. They'd hear 'me' come in late at night, walk up the stairs and the footsteps would stop. Nobody there.

By three years ago, often when I slept over something would happen to disturb my sleep. Something would pitter patter across my pillow. A cough in the room. Breathing. Eventually, I would only sleep downstairs in the lounge. We'd all heard male voices in the lounge over the years, but nothing creepy really happened in there. Upstairs, I was actually more pissed off that whatever it was would wake me up. It annoyed me to the point that I'd told it to 'fuck off!' more than once.

Anyway, the last night i slept on the couch. About fiveam I was woken up again with the cold and the sweating. I lay there and felt the creepiness in the room. Suddenly, something warm kinda ran itself down my back from my neck. I gasped and sprang up and turned on the light. Freaked out.

In the cold light of day, I thought I'm never sleeping in the place again. Never have and never will. Stuff still happens there, I don't want to give the impression this was every day or even every week. Over the years it was often enough and shared by other people. There's other stories too. I'm a skeptic and have been trying to work out a scientific reason. No luck so far :)

I gotta admit, writing this down for the first time in full has given me the goosebumps.

Kandinsky, sounds like we both were in creepy houses. Sometimes when I would be away at camp or just not home, people would be talking to my grandparents outside and look up and say, "oh I didn't know Amanda was back yet." There would be a girl standing in the upstairs window looking out. I never actually saw this, but I still live in the same town as that house and always look as I drive by.

My grandparents owned the house a long time before I was even born. When my dad and my cousin were young boys, they were in bedrooms across the hall from each other. They would hear running and playing in the hall at night and were always yelling at one another to get back in bed even though they were both in bed. They said this happened often.

I never had anything grab my feet in bed. I would have probably wet myself. haha. I did not sleep upstairs by myself in that house. When we moved, I was fine sleeping upstairs in the new house.

Was the house you were in very old? I know they don't have to be old to be weird, I was just curious.

When we moved in, it was a wreck. Me and my brother were 8 and 5. The records went back to 1884, but the Deeds were held by a solicitor because of the mortgage. It was bordering on derelict with fungus, wood lice etc and rotten floor boards. It's quite a big place. Originally it was two houses, now it's one. An old couple, the Pillings, lived in two downstairs rooms when we bought it. They used the lounge and the kitchen (stone flags and a broken wood stove). The guy was a pigeon fanatic and the back yard had a couple of pigeon lofts.

When we started stripping it down and pulling up floorboards, it was an adventure for a kid. In my brother's room we were stripping the wall paper and behind it was writing that looked like pencil. It was in large writing and very fancy old-style script. The wallpaper pulled a lot of it away so we couldn't read it clearly. There was a name and a date 1863.

The mortgage was paid off years back and when they asked for the Deeds, the guy explained that a storage fire had burned a lot of records...that included. The house didn't have a bad history that we knew of. A barmaid in the local pub had actually been born in the room that became my parent's room. Although stuff happened around other people too, I often felt the target. It began when I hit adolescence. It was only when I left home and went back that it seemed so set on winding me up. I should be clear here, I'm not a ghost story fan and I've never had the same things happen in other places I've lived. I tend to switch off when someone tells me their ghost tales and rudely enough doubt them too! I'm aware on the irony:rolleyes:

haha, I am kind of the opposite. I have only had one ufo experience and while it was interesting enough when I had it, I can only take so much of the subject before I start thinking about other random stuff... like laundry or a paper I need to write.

It could have been. Once I was driving home late at night. I was going really fast and listening to loud music. Not many people were on the road so I didn't feel bad about speeding home. Suddenly, I had a weird feeling...I just had a feeling I needed to slow down. I slowed way down and turned off my radio. I turned around a corner and about 6 deer were in the middle of the road. It was kind of odd. I was glad I had actually slowed down, or I would have hit them.

Cheers to driving fast and listening to loud music. Preferably METAL.

Something would pitter patter across my pillow.
Like a cat?
Amongst the crew of spooks at the house I grew up in, one of them that used to really scare the hell out me was a "cat ghost" that would jump on my bed and walk around. Usually when this happened I was so terrified I would close my eyes as tight as I could and hide under the blanket until I fell asleep.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Like a cat?
That's crossed my mind a few times. It's happened to my mum in the same room. It's a mischievous little bugger. I re-read my original post and it comes across like some nightmare, but it was just something you got on with mostly. I'm older but no wiser about it. Thing is, I do like my sleep and stuff should keep sociable hours if it's gonna go misbehaving.

It makes no sense does it? Why a cat? Why anything? I like the UFO subject because it's conceivable. Spooky stuff is illogical...and has poor social skills :D

It makes no sense does it? Why a cat? Why anything? I like the UFO subject because it's conceivable. Spooky stuff is illogical...and has poor social skills :D
It really crossed the line with me when it started getting in the fridge.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

bogie and kandinksy,

Those stories made the hairs on my arms stand right up. Scary stuff, and I have to tell you, I don't know that I'd be able to stay in those houses, or sleep in those rooms. Creepy, but thanks to you both for sharing those stories, food for thought.

dB

It really crossed the line with me when it started getting in the fridge.

Cases like that (with the cat on your bed and in the fridge etc) has to be a situation of time periods intersecting some how.

What do you think?

Cases like that (with the cat on your bed and in the fridge etc) has to be a situation of time periods intersecting some how.

What do you think?
I have yet to aquire a framework through which to interpret such nonsense.

Back