• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Killer Whale

i am not sure who to feel more sorry for, the whale or the human. i agree with bobheck, these awesome animals should not be held captive.

I'm always amazed when this sort of thing happens how surprised everyone seems be. They don't call them killer whales just because it sounds catchy.

I agree wholeheartedly with everyone above, and assume this sentiment also applies to animals held in zoos. I actually would go one step further -- I don't understand why people pay for high-end safaris to Africa and elsewhere, disturbing animals in their natural habitats, just for the photo opportunity. I recognize that this helps to fund some wild life preserves, but there has to be a better way of pursuing conservation, while at the same time letting the animals be.

I'm always amazed when this sort of thing happens how surprised everyone seems be. They don't call them killer whales just because it sounds catchy.

Precisely. You play with fire and sooner or later you get burned. You force an intelligent 12000lbs mammal-eating machine to life in a cage -- to wear funny hats and jump through hoops at your command, well...

I feel saddened for the trainer and her family. I agree with all the posters above. These animals should not be kept in captivity and put on display like that. Killer whales a very intelligent animals and I'm surprised that this hasn't happened more often.

After seeing a video of an upon a seal that was lying on TOP of an ice floe, I cannot fathom why we humans allow them to be separated from the ocean...specifically for our amusement. These are wild animals with the same instincts in captivity as they have in the wild. Perhaps the breeding process has changed a bit of their behavior, but they have proven that they can and do think for themselves.

I don't know the details of the trainer's death. I don't really want to know them. Perhaps the whale meant to kill her, perhaps the whale meant to chastise her, perhaps the whale was feeling particularly grumpy that day and didn't want to train. The fact is, these cetaceans do, as has been stated above, belong in the open oceans. It is my opinion that all of them do.

Back