• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

June 28, 2020 — UFO Disclosure Update with Stephen Bassett

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
Even if you don't believe that Stephen Bassett's quest for UFO disclosure will succeed, you'll find him an entertaining and informative interview. He does know his politics and history.

We also invited Stephen to hang with us on this weekend's episode of After The Paracast, which makes both episodes essentially a single interview.

After The Paracast is an exclusive feature of The Paracast+.

To subscribe to The Paracast+, pease visit:

Here we have more on that Bill to disclose "UAP" information: Senate Intelligence Committee Votes to Allow Public to See UFO Records This is pretty much the same as the Politico article @Gene Steinberg posted prior to Bassett's appearance on the show ( June 25 - 26 ).

"On Tuesday, the committee voted to require the Defense Department and U.S. intelligence agencies to provide a public analysis of any data related to “unidentified aerial phenomenon” as soon as 2021."
That vote would have taken place last Tuesday June 23, 2020. More on this as it unfolds. Presently if this is the Bill in question:

I see no reference to UAPs UFOs or anything similar. Where exactly is this alleged requirement? Does it still need to be inserted into the bill?

No mention of it here: Senate Intelligence Committee Passes Intelligence Authorization Act
No mention of it here:
Press | Intelligence Committee.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it's not enforceable. And if a new administration takes office in January 2021, new people will be hired to fill such positions as the DNI, and thus they will be free to manage it in accordance with their wishes. It's not as if the U.S. Senate can enforce the request, anymore than the House was able to enforce subpoenas to White House and Department of Justice people.

It's the way politics works here. It's a good show, but it may not be much more than that.

Unfortunately, it's not enforceable. And if a new administration takes office in January 2021, new people will be hired to fill such positions as the DNI, and thus they will be free to manage it in accordance with their wishes. It's not as if the U.S. Senate can enforce the request, anymore than the House was able to enforce subpoenas to White House and Department of Justice people.

It's the way politics works here. It's a good show, but it may not be much more than that.
Okay, but is the bill I posted the link to above even the right one? Did I miss where it says something about UAPs ( or whatever )? I don't see any mention of them in that particular bill. To me it looks like it should be the right one, but I'm not experienced in looking at political bills and such, especially from the USA. Where can we confirm this story? I also posted a link to Rubio's site. Maybe there?

Last edited:
I normally don't post, but I can't resist doing it this time. Here is the basic text of an email I sent Gene a few days ago after hearing the disclosure show. It's probably going to start trouble here, but I can't resist commenting on "Disclosure", which really bugs me. I call this opus "Disclosure Navel-Gazing"...

=======

Stephen Bassett spins a good yarn, and I have no doubt about his tenacity and sincerity. He almost seems to be at the verge of being obsessive.

But I want to take an international view. Living in Switzerland, I cannot help but notice that all the talk about disclosure - and UFOs in general for that matter - always revolves around the USA and American politics. Has it ever occurred to anyone that there is a world beyond the USA and that other countries and governments may possess information about ET and UFOs? Yes, I know the stories to the effect that they do, but why is it not of the same magnitude as in the USA? Could it be because there's no "UFO industry" over here, as there is in the US? Maybe it's also because science fiction is not as big an entertainment focus here as in the States.

Another thought is that other governments do know something, but have said nothing publicly, simply because there is nothing of consequence to say. All the disclosure talk always presumes a coverup - a coverup that ET is here and visiting us. But what if that is not true and the whole thing is the product of vivid imagination? Yes, Hilary Clinton might have pressed for disclosure, but this presumes that disclosure would have revealed an ET presence and a prior coverup. But maybe not at all. Could all of this just be wishful thinking and jumping to conspiracy conclusions? If there really is an official effort to cover up UFO-related information, then it's more likely that the reason is diplomatic or military.

In this vain, I have to mention our two British friends, Nick Pope and Nick Redfern, with whom I have no personal quarrel - on the contrary. Once again, they tell good stories that enchant audiences - and sell books and guarantee media appearances. They've recognized that there's a UFO and paranormal market in the US, and they have capitalized on it very successfully. They are nice guys, but they are also shrewd businessmen who have cornered a niche market in the US. But I don't think their books sell well over here on the Continent, or even in the UK, for that matter. Again, it's definitely a US phenomenon.

As a journalist, I am well on top of news and developments in Europe, and I can tell you that there is utterly no public discussion or even interest in "disclosure" here, simply because there has been nothing reported here that cannot be explained by mundane factors.

I have to conclude, as I have before, that Americans seem to have overactive imaginations driven by a lot of sci-fi and political conspiracy theories. I personally believe that ET - whatever it is - is real, at least in theory. But why don't they appear to us Europeans to the extent that they do in the US? (Billy Meier aside). Not even your Canadian neighbors seem so concerned about this. I think JRM gets my point.

Just my thoughts.

Bob Zanotti

Last edited:
As a journalist, I am well on top of news and developments in Europe, and I can tell you that there is utterly no public discussion or even interest in "disclosure" here, simply because there has been nothing reported here that cannot be explained by mundane factors.
Hey Bob. Thanks for your thoughts. However I'd point out that there's a difference between "a mundane explanation" and a reasonable explanation. For example, anyone can proclaim a mundane explanation for a UFO sighting e.g. hallucination, misidentification, fabrication, ball lightning, swamp gas, or any other of a myriad number of possibilities. However it's another thing to assume a mundane explanation is the case when the conditions required to reasonably make that assumption don't fit the report. It was the prevalence of such reports that led Hynek to take UFOs seriously.

In Europe there are a number of very good UFO cases, that to my knowledge cannot be reasonably written-off as something mundane. I would suggest that you acquire a copy of Timothy Good's Beyond Top Secret, which is a revised version of his best seller Above Top Secret. In it he chronicles some very good sightings from Great Britain, France, Italy, Portugal, and Spain.

You might also want to check out the COMETA report, a French UFO study by high-ranking officials and military officers. The report concluded that about 5% of the UFO cases they studied were utterly inexplicable and the best hypothesis to explain them was the extraterrestrial hypothesis. In May 1955, Jacques Vallée sighted an unidentified flying object over his Pontoise home. To my knowledge that sighting has not been reasonably explained as something mundane by him, and Vallée is one of the foremost serious ufologists in the field.

There are too many actual cases for me to begin outlining them all here. But attached are some PDFs. On the public discussion side of things. There was definitely some interest in years gone by. Not so sure about recently. BUFORA seems to be a shadow of its former self.

Attachments

• COMETA_Part_01.pdf
    747.3 KB · Views: 0
  • COMETA_Part_02.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Three-Radar-UFO-Cases.pdf
    8 MB · Views: 0
Hi Randall.

I think you may have missed my point. Perhaps it was too subtle. As I wrote, I know about UFO sightings and mysterious events over here in Europe and the UK. I have even commented on them in the past. I didn't deny them. But my point and focus is on the hype that surrounds "disclosure" in the US. I think that should have been pretty clear.

Because something is labeled "unexplained" does not necessarily mean that it cannot be explained at some later time. Perhaps there was inaccurate or insufficient data involved. I want to believe that there are "real" UFOs, but I just want to eliminate all other possibilities first.

A local example: Here in Switzerland we see mysterious-looking lights on or around our high Alps all the time. We don't find that unusual or mysterious because we know that mountaintop restaurants and mountain huts often burn lights during the night. We also know that the Swiss army is up there on exercises all the time. But others who don't know this might find all of that mysterious. This scenario might well be applied to other places on Earth.

But we're losing the point again. My point is all the hype surrounding the "religion" of disclosure in the US. That's my point. We don't have all of this hype here.

Regards,
Bob

I have to say Randall while I enjoy you on the show the last person I would want to reference is Timothy Good.
Deluded or a nutcase and more than likely probably both.

I have to say Randall while I enjoy you on the show the last person I would want to reference is Timothy Good.
Deluded or a nutcase and more than likely probably both.
Timothy Good's book Beyond Top Secret is excellent. You would not think it was written by the same man. Good also worked with CUFOS. He's also a talented musician. I don't know what pushed him out into the fringe ( and seemingly over the edge ), but I can see how if one didn't know about his quality work, you would not take him seriously at all. Maybe he's got some kind of degenerative condition. I dunno.

But seriously, if you don't have a copy of Beyond Top Secret, it's still worth getting. Even a cheap copy of Above Top Secret is worth the money. Just watch out for the couple of cases that turned out to be highly dubious, if not outright fabrications that got past him. There's also the copy of the MJ-12 documents included in them, but if you know all the pros and cons there, you can filter as required.

1594097769508.png

Last edited:
Hi Randall. I think you may have missed my point.
You were making more than one point. I commented primarily on:

"there is utterly no public discussion or even interest in "disclosure" here, simply because there has been nothing reported here that cannot be explained by mundane factors."​

Because something is labeled "unexplained" does not necessarily mean that it cannot be explained at some later time. Perhaps there was inaccurate or insufficient data involved. I want to believe that there are "real" UFOs, but I just want to eliminate all other possibilities first.
That is a very reasonable approach, and it's why the USAF took that exact approach during its initial study of the phenomenon. Before the object in a UFO report could be classed as a UFO by the USAF, there had to be enough information in the report to make an identification if one were possible, and reports with insufficient information were put in an entirely separate pile. This is basic ufology 101, but there are a lot of misinformed skeptics and ufo buffs alike who parrot the misnomer that UFO simply means the literal definition of the words that form the acronym.
A local example: Here in Switzerland we see mysterious-looking lights on or around our high Alps all the time. We don't find that unusual or mysterious because we know that mountaintop restaurants and mountain huts often burn lights during the night. We also know that the Swiss army is up there on exercises all the time. But others who don't know this might find all of that mysterious. This scenario might well be applied to other places on Earth.
We both know there are a lot of misperceptions and misinterpretations. We also both know that the media generally has clue none about what the word UFO actually means, and misrepresent it constantly. It's one of those things that drives me nuts. It's even worse when skeptics and those who are supposed to be our own people do it.
But we're losing the point again. My point is all the hype surrounding the "religion" of disclosure in the US. That's my point. We don't have all of this hype here.
Perhaps if the MOD had some leaked videos and Navy pilot's go on record on TV and YouTube, there would be more interest. Presently there doesn't seem to much for those interested in disclosure in Europe to go on. However back in January 2020, the U.K.'s Ministry of Defense decided to publish a number of previously secret UFO related files after PA Media, a British news agency, filed a request for the UFO files under the Freedom of Information Act. MoD officials decided "it would be better to publish these records, rather than continue sending documents to the National Archives," the RAF spokesperson said.

So it's not like nothing is happening in Europe. Maybe there's really not that much going on here either, and it's just that whenever someone puts "UFO" into a headline, it's guaranteed to get a certain number of views. In my everyday experience, most people don't even know what the "Disclosure Movement" is.

Timothy Good's book Beyond Top Secret is excellent. You would not think it was written by the same man. Good also worked with CUFOS. He's also a talented musician. I don't know what pushed him out into the fringe ( and seemingly over the edge ), but I can see how if one didn't know about his quality work, you would not take him seriously at all. Maybe he's got some kind of degenerative condition. I dunno.

But seriously, if you don't have a copy of Beyond Top Secret, it's still worth getting. Even a cheap copy of Above Top Secret is worth the money. Just watch out for the couple of cases that turned out to be highly dubious, if not outright fabrications that got past him. There's also the copy of the MJ-12 documents included in them, but if you know all the pros and cons there, you can filter as required.

1594097769508.png
Yes, Randall, I read it many years ago and I have to admit I thought it was a great book but then there was a time I would everything by the late great Stanton Friedman and assume it was all factually acurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they disclose what ever it is ? It will never be all that those are seeking and above top secret. On the ongoing debate about MJ 12 its the first one and the M J -12. still used. If any U.S President was to grant the release it will be after the election thats why they like to see him lose. Not forgetting China and Russia both seek to beat the US to Mars. Thought Mr.Dolan gave a open mind debate with J.C. today and its up to yourself to decide not anyone else. Also micro level -latest data is very intresting on life in our solar system. In end they only relase what they choose too.

I recall when he came on The Paracast and boosted the crazy claims of George Adamski. That wasn't just jumping the shark; it was leaping the shark.

I seem to recall some kind of conversation - maybe in the forums, I don't recall - about how it might be a systemic risk to investigators in this field to go sideways.

I remember thinking that many of the folks that start off strong - like Good, Howe, Strieber, etc seem to all of a sudden drop off a logical cliff at some point. I'd put Kean at risk of being this category after reading her latest work as well.

Yes, Randall, I read it many years ago and I have to admit I thought it was a great book but then there was a time I would everything by the late great Stanton Friedman and assume it was all factually acurate.
Until information comes along to change our view of history, the existing accounts we have of it are as good as it gets. Beyond Top Secret, remains a very good historical resource to this day. Even the hard copy MJ-12 documents included therein are good to have for reference. We just have to bear in mind that evidence has since emerged to believe they were fabricated and take that into account.
His earlier stuff was good. He appears to have totally gone off the deep end though.
I followed Good's slide into the twilight zone to the point where he was openly expressing his belief that aliens are among us, they look like us, at least superficially, and can communicate with us telepathically. Good's description of his personal experiences that confirm this ( for him ) seemed to be sincere, so I began to wonder if it might really be going on.

Being a believer in alien visitation myself, I figured that if alien craft are visiting Earth, it's not that far fetched to think that the aliens might take the next step and do some "away missions". It's perfectly logical. That's when I realized that I was suddenly standing at the edge of the same precipice Good had taken the leap from. Sure it's possible. Maybe even likely. But once you go over that ledge there's no turning back.

For a while I seriously contemplated how, if alien visitors are among us at a community level, could tell them apart from the rest of us? Add the MIB and abductions cases, and it doesn't really seem so far gone. I presently think there is a very high probability that they are here, or at least have been here in the recent past, and have been studying us a close range, not just at a distance from the safety of their craft.

Last edited:
Back