• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

July 24, 2016 — Linda Godfrey

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
Chris and I had fun talking to author Linda Godfrey. It became especially enjoyable for me when Chris and Linda swapped monster stories.

Your reactions appreciated.

I enjoyed the show. Linda Godfrey seems pretty down to earth, for a cryptid researcher at least. Chris and his bigfoot encounter was particularly interesting. Fragmented, missing, and/or inaccurate memories of high stress encounters are normal. There is a significant body of scientific research to back up the phenomena. They are a result of the perceptual, cognitive, and memory distortions produced by physical changes in the body during states of high physical and emotional arousal. From Chris' description he was in both states at the time of his encounter.

Just finished listening to the show. Enjoyed Linda, and her level headed approach to investigating, and relaying "monster" stories. The concept of portals is fascinating to me, though I'm pretty skeptical that such exist. They would just causes a lot of problems with the laws of physics, quantum entanglement accepted, but if you are someone who has experienced one I suppose you might have a very different opinion. So, who am I to say one way or the other? (Meow)

I especially enjoyed Chris's account of his near Bigfoot encounter as it was nearly identical to an experience I had with two friends over a decade ago between two lakes in Northwestern Ontario, Canada. ( N 49d 29' 41.3" W 93d 01' 29.8 ... to be precise). We had taken a canoe and a kayak from a nearby road to an island where we set up our camp before making a short hop southwest of the island to the mainland. We were trying to find a set of rapids between the two lakes, but when we got there it was dried up; just a field of untraversable boulders. So we ditched the boats on the south shore, and began a long hike west along the steep bank of what should have been the rapids, in the hopes of reaching the other lake. It took us a good part of the afternoon to get there, but we eventually arrived at the other lake, where we found a massive beaver dam, explaining the the dry rapids. Content with our discovery, and since it was getting late in the day, we decided to head right back.

It was nearly sunset, very late into the evening by the time we got back to the area where we had left the boats, when we heard something large crunching its way through the the dense bush somewhere nearby. We began speculating as to whether it was a bear, or perhaps a moose. It sounded huge, so we were pretty sure it was a moose, and we hoped to get a look at it. When we made a move in the direction of the sound, however, there came this unearthly loud, roar/howl. It had a strange almost human quality to the voice but at a volume that was impossible. We gave each other a quick glance and bolted for our boats, and paddled like mad for our campsite on the island that we now wished had been much farther out from the mainland. I looked back several times, but saw nothing.

There was no further sign of whatever it was, but we stayed up most of the night around a very healthy sized bonfire going over what sort of animal sounds each of us were familiar with, and we eventually came to the conclusion that it didn't fit with any of the local fauna. One of my two friends suggested that maybe it was just some other people pulling a prank, with a megaphone, but my other friend and I quickly pointed out that to get that kind of volume out of a megaphone it would have had to have been hooked up to a stadium concert-worthy stack of speakers.

Nearly a year later while lying on the sofa, reading a book, I had the Discovery channel playing in the background. It was a show about bigfoot encounters, and it was mostly the usual stuff (Patterson etc.) so I wasn't really paying it any attention. They played a recording of a supposed bigfoot call from the Washington area, and it made me drop my book and sit bolt upright. It was exactly the sound my friends and I had heard by the island. Still don't know what to make of any of it.

As usual Linda's appearance was a breath of fresh air. early on i was mentally applauding her when she said that on her appproach to this phenomena she applies speculation, if not only because, unlike Chris's SLV project and the EVP phenomena, there isn't a lot of oppurtunity to apply a scientific method to a subject that is so deeply rooted in folklore. i've never shied away from the fact that i think that speculation has it's place as a tool to get to the bottom of things as it can lead to out of the box thinking, but i sometimes find myself thinking just let it be, don't try to figure out what it's about, just let it happen and appreciate it, whatever "it" may be.

I liked how Linda took us down the road of how our thought process can and would work on these encounters and even a minor point as her use of the word otherworldly in her book title, it seems she has all the bases covered but I guess that will be determined when the book comes out.

As far as using speculation in this field, one possibility that Keel made that i never heard anybody since mention is that perhaps these manifestations are a result of projections put forth from our visitors to draw our attention elsewhere, away from them. That is to say an outside (or nowadays inside) intellegence may have been in the area and didn't need any would be Freddys or Velmas to be meddling around.

Lastly, on a somewhat related note I don't know if anybody noticed but earlier this year I noticed Albert Rosales took all his humanoid sightings offline (but they are now all available as Kindle downloads or books) I hope you guys were able to access them while they were still there, as they were well worth viewing. There were so many that even a $7.99 a pop ( done by decades) that the complete set would set you back a bit but at the same time i hope that Albert makes boatloads of money from them.

an experience I had with two friends over a decade ago between two lakes in Northwestern Ontario, Canada. ( N 49d 29' 41.3" W 93d 01' 29.8 ... to be precise).
Not to dredge up an ancient thread but recently a video with an audio recording was posted to You Tube with a VERY similar sound recorded...and from relatively the same area (about 70 miles NE) of where we heard the sound 20 years earlier. The sound is very hard to hear on video, clearly very far away, but it does give one a sense of the volume of such a sound traveling from so far off.

Not to dredge up an ancient thread but recently a video with an audio recording was posted to You Tube with a VERY similar sound recorded...and from relatively the same area (about 70 miles NE) of where we heard the sound 20 years earlier. The sound is very hard to hear on video, clearly very far away, but it does give one a sense of the volume of such a sound traveling from so far off.
Sounds like some kind of animal howling.

Back