• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

John Zaffis

Yeah, he's not much of a researcher, IMO. After the interview, I ended up not thinking much of his investigative approach, and when folks show their complete lack of understanding of technology, well, part of me just falls asleep.

dB

For entertainment, Zaffis can't be beat if you pick the topic "Exorcism" or "Possession" on the C2C jukebox. He is much better as a story teller, and when he attempts to come across as a researcher, I think his delivery suffers. (Asside: I also could not listen to the entire interview because of all these inane "Keeping an open mind" repetitions).

Now, John is the nephew of Lorraine and Ed (?) Warren, who proclaimed the entire AmityVille Horror Case to be real, even though other researchers in that field have concluded it was a hoax. John is also a very devout Catholic, and approaches his exorcism cases as an assistant to a Catholic Priest who does the ritual. I have never heard of John as an objective paranormal investigator. He has a strong belief system within which he securely encounters the paranormal.

For me, knowing that context of his own belief system, he is a great spinner of tales, and I can enjoy listening to him relate a spooky yarn of demons and haunted families, while safely enjoying a glass of wine during a cold night with the wind howling outside. I guess I put him in the same category as Brad Steiger.

Oh, yeah, I like Steiger.

Mr. Zaffis would be better as a storyteller, imo. His religiosity makes me extrememly skeptical of his approach, just as I have a great deal of trouble with the Penn State Kids on "Paranormal State." They take too much for granted so I can't help but be rather dismissive of their "findings." Plus, they also use Lorraine Warren and I always think of the Amityville debacle, possessed dolls, and their propensity towards finding a portal to hell in every other house they investigate. Meh.

I hope Mr. Zaffis cuts down on his "open-minded" comments a little in the second hour. I was so annoyed by them I was tempted to just skip the rest of the show. But I won't. After all, if I can listen to all of Eric Julien and Joel Martin I suppose I can handle Zaffis.

Back