• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

John Zaffis

BrandonD

Skilled Investigator
Hi, I enjoyed the recent show, here are some comments:

First of all, I really hate that popular quote about "don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out", because it's subversively detrimental to unconventional thinking, and more importantly it doesn't even apply to open-mindedness.

The type of thinking that the quote is referring to is *credulity*, which has no relation to open-mindedness. The two separate terms are deliberately associated together in the quote because mainstream thinkers use it as a club to batter maverick thinkers back into the fold.

Open-mindedness is typified by being unwilling to accept anything as factual one way or the other. One man says, "UFOs are piloted by extraterrestrials." A second man says, "UFOs are not piloted by extraterrestrials." A third man says, "Perhaps UFOs are piloted by extraterrestrials, and perhaps they are not."

How exactly are the third man's brains falling out? He is being the most honest and intelligent in this case. This stance is useful even in ordinary subjects, because it's been proven again and again that what people consider as "common sense" today may not necessarily be true.

Ok enough ranting about that. Next rant.

I think there are many other explanations why one man holding a recorder could pick up EVPs, and another man holding a recorder in the same room could not. I don't think imaginative projections are the only reasonable conclusion.

A person can touch a radio and improve its reception, so there's no question that simple human contact with an electronic device can affect its function. There are also many cases of people associated with paranormal phenomena being able to affect electronics in unusual ways (stopping watches, affecting street-lamps, etc). So it doesn't seem that much of a stretch to consider that specific people could affect a recorder in a way that others cannot, and this effect could alter its receptivity.

That's just one speculative possibility among many. Sometimes I think you guys may place technology on too high of a pedestal. As in, "Technology is objective, it measures the world exactly as it is. So if something changes then it must involve human imagination." As in the case of the woman touching the radio, technological measurements of "the world as it is" can vary, depending on both seen and unseen conditions.

Thanks for tolerating the nitpicking, this episode was very interesting as always.

In support of your response, Brandon, I've heard of a few people managing to erase or make void, without trying, the magnetic data on their credit cards and driver's licenses.

I had a wallet that accomplished that feat several years ago. Someone told me that wallets made with eel skin would do the trick and of course, my wallet at the time was made of eel skin. (What's up with that?)

Anyway, I've wondered if some people somehow vibrate at a different frequency, one that would interfere with or enhance electromagnetics. Guess I'm not sold on people affecting street lamps because I haven't seen it for myself, but I've touched my radio to improve reception at times. Not always though. So maybe it has something to do with a person where a person is in his head at the time? I know that's really speculative. Just musing.

Poi said:
Guess I'm not sold on people affecting street lamps because I haven't seen it for myself, but I've touched my radio to improve reception at times. Not always though. So maybe it has something to do with a person where a person is in his head at the time? I know that's really speculative. Just musing.

I do the radio reception thing all the time, so I just assumed that everyone else can do it all the time.

Brandon,

When a person touches a radio, they are indeed creating a situation where the capacitance of the human body is essentially "added" to that of the radio, enhancing the overall reception of RF signals. The human body makes a great antenna.

The issue I brought up with Zaffis, is that you would not expect there to be a huge difference with voice recorders with relation to who is holding them, in that they are a completely different type of technology than radios and televisions - the fact is that any portable recorder has specific circuitry to minimize RF interference and crosstalk, and the microphone circuitry in said devices is designed to detect the presence of sound waves, not radio frequency signals. I don't buy the idea that two people in the same room will have completely different results in EVP recording, one capturing nothing, the other getting all sorts of cool, ethereal voices and sound effects.

The thing that stood out to me about Zaffis is how he basically displayed little to no knowledge of the technology used in paranormal investigation work, which is something I've noticed is true for most of the people playing in this sandbox. I've been the first person to acknowledge that our current technology and instrumentation is not evolved enough to help us determine the ultimate makeup of matter and the nature of reality - I've certainly said it enough times on the show - but I am indeed a technologist, always have been, and I do feel that technology is a useful tool for interpreting the world around us. It's not perfect, but at the moment, it's all we have besides our intuition.

What might surprise you, is that there is a side of my life that I retain as private, that has shown me that there things that technology will probably never be useful in explaining, or in assisting us in terms of understanding and analysis. I'm sorry that I have to hold some cards close to my chest, but I've learned that I cannot reveal everything about my own paranormal reality in a public venue.

dB

David Biedny said:
What might surprise you, is that there is a side of my life that I retain as private, that has shown me that there things that technology will probably never be useful in explaining, or in assisting us in terms of understanding and analysis. I'm sorry that I have to hold some cards close to my chest, but I've learned that I cannot reveal everything about my own paranormal reality in a public venue.

Thanks for the clarification with the radio reception, and actually that doesn't surprise me about your unspoken ideas regarding this subject. You're the one putting yourself out on the line, so I don't blame you.

David Biedny said:
The thing that stood out to me about Zaffis is how he basically displayed little to no knowledge of the technology used in paranormal investigation work, which is something I've noticed is true for most of the people playing in this sandbox.

I really have to agree with you here David, he didn't seem prepared for your questions about technology and experts. I doubt he is usually asked such things. He almost seemed a little annoyed at one point.

Anyway, it was interesting. I think, though, I was hoping to hear more experiences than theory.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I don't buy EVP... at all. I've given it many, many chances but I have never once heard or seen on tv an EVP that sounded like ANYTHING until the investigator/presenter says: Listen closely and you'll hear a voice say "get out!"- or some such spooky nonsense. To me it's the audio equivelant of seeing faces in the clouds, espescially considering that it usually requires turning the volume way the hell up and applying some filters before it's "ready".

And before someone cries "debunker!" remember that I'm a guy who's had roughly half-a-dozen ghostly experiences in my life...

CapnG said:
Maybe I'm alone in this but I don't buy EVP... at all. I've given it many, many chances but I have never once heard or seen on tv an EVP that sounded like ANYTHING until the investigator/presenter says: Listen closely and you'll hear a voice say "get out!"- or some such spooky nonsense. To me it's the audio equivelant of seeing faces in the clouds, espescially considering that it usually requires turning the volume way the hell up and applying some filters before it's "ready".

And before someone cries "debunker!" remember that I'm a guy who's had roughly half-a-dozen ghostly experiences in my life...

The EVP phenomenon kinda reminds me of the whole mars anomaly subject. I've seen one or two REALLY compelling photos, and about 4 million other grainy photos where I'm like, "What am I supposed to be looking at again? A landing base with a tower?"

I got a phenomenally clear EVP incident through my laptop speakers.

"Hello!" it said.

Damn that talking smiley advert half way up this page.

I nearly moistened myself.

CapnG said:

There's loads of very clear evps, however, they could be hoaxes. Some can be found here. http://www.worlditc.org/

Loose Leaf Tea said:
I got a phenomenally clear EVP incident through my laptop speakers.

"Hello!" it said.

Damn that talking smiley advert half way up this page.

I nearly moistened myself.

bahahahaha It got me too at like 2:30 in the morning

CapnG said:
Maybe I'm alone in this but I don't buy EVP... at all. I've given it many, many chances but I have never once heard or seen on tv an EVP that sounded like ANYTHING until the investigator/presenter says: Listen closely

I know what you mean. There are very few EVPs that can stand on their own, most sound like garbled, robotic crap.

But here is one from ghostpix.com, they played this on C2C. Check it out.

The first link I'm giving goes directly to the wave file. Listen to it first.

Go here to read the description and "transcript" afterwards.

If it's true that no sounds in the recording were from anything in that room at the time, then this is amazing.

Again I shall broach the subject of the Faraday Cage. Have EVPs ever been captured on recording equipment that was situated within a Faraday Cage??? I don't think I've ever had that answered sufficiently, yet.

Oh and did anyone else get bored with John Zaffis' open mindedness ... bloody hell i think we get the point, already ... you're openminded ... possibly too open minded ... is this wibbly wobbly thing I've just found on the floor your brain ... or somebody elses ?? :p

Man, was that guy a hack or what?

"well, from the data ive been gathering....you really have to think outside the box and see all the different perspectives and once you perceive the perspectives and fondle the energies, your perspective leads to you perceive another perspective introspectivelyyy"

could you be any more vague or dance around questions any harder?

i mean, did this guy say anything actually concrete or concise after an hour into the show? i had to turn it off, i couldnt handle it.

does this guy seriously do any research?

CapnG said:
cmbezln said:
does this guy seriously do any research?

A better question might be: Can any of his research be taken seriously?

OR

Does this guy do any serious research?

No ... and no ... but he is extremely open minded ... which must count for something surely?? :D

So you are saying Zaffis is cuckoo? I have a EVP for you!!! Replay the Zaffis show at 1:51:08. Listen very closey after Gene speaks. When Zaffis answers listen closely to the noise in the background...........Was this deliberate Gene & Dave? :cool:

I am just getting to this show and have heard the first hour. I will listen to the rest but sometimes he is so hard for me to listen to without rolling my eyes. Not that I really disbelieve him, entirely, but he is really on the side of "believer" and says "open-minded" so much I would like to slap him every time I hear it.
I know some people hate the "not be so open-minded that your brains fall out" but I like it in that not enough people say it. Sometimes "open-minded" when spoken by some means "be credulous and believe what I believe" and I don't buy that. I hope I never suspend my critical thinking and just accept anything.

And I also don't like when "skeptic" is made to be synonomous with "cynic." They are not the same and people misuse the term "skeptic" all the time. That said, I don't know so far if Mr. Zaffis is really thinking critically or not. With all his "being open-minded" every other paragraph it is hard for me to tell.

I, of course, always reserve the right to be wrong, but I do have trouble with investigators who automatically assume there is a god or some supreme force and demons and angels and such. There may be, but to me it is just as likely there are not.

That said, I don't know how I'd make my own investigative dream team. A uber believer, a uber skeptic, someone in the middle, and someone who understands the equipment he/she uses and someone to take accurate notes? I don't know. But I'm not convinced TAPS or any other group has any real "knowledge" or "understanding" or authority on the subject. Regardless, I follow their exploits with interest in the hope that real credible and interesting evidence will emerge. Real ghosts? How cool would that be??? I currently don't believe there ARE any ghosts but, boy, would I LOVE to be proven wrong.

I'll never forget when TAPS was doing EVP work in the furniture store. The owners thought the ghost was a former employee named Jean. Well they kept asking Jean questions. When they played it back a voice said "no Jean here". Very cool

Back