• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Jeff R -- Weird experience

Free episodes:

BrandonD

Skilled Investigator
Hi, I've had a series of strange experiences in my life that I've wanted to share, but I've been hesitant to talk about them because they sound absurd. But I recently listened to the Jeff Ritzmann interview and his experiences were very strange, and it encouraged me to relate this weird story and get opinions on it, particularly Jeff's opinion. This is going to sound ridiculous, like those stories that cynical people tell to make fun of other people's experiences, but it really happened.

I was in 7th grade and my mom got relocated to Mobile, AL. For whatever reason (subjective or whatever) I have an association of evil with that place. Back then I used to skateboard and I found a big concrete ditch not too far from my house. It was perfect for skating, but the first day my brother and I went there, we found animal parts scattered along the floor of the ditch. They were large, like dog parts, not cooked, with no skin and the muscle still attached to the bone. It looked like an entire large animal but completely separated into pieces.

That was weird, but we didn't think much of it and we would go there often to skate.

Months later, I was with a friend named Sam and we were skating there. For whatever reason, we decided to follow the ditch into the woods and see where it led. So we skated along, for a very long time. It led away from the residential area and into the woods, getting gradually narrower and slightly lower in elevation. We kept on going deeper, for several miles, until the ditch abruptly ended at 2 concrete tunnels going into the ground in front of us. They were each about 5 feet tall.

At this point we're deep into the woods and far away from any houses. We stood there, trying to decide if we should go further. Before we said anything, we heard voices talking to us from inside the right tunnel. They were asking us to come inside the tunnel. We were so scared we were petrified, and then we heard an instrument like an accordion or harmonica coming from inside. We were not about to go inside, but we just stood there like statues.

Next thing I know, I see several sets of intense glowing eyes inside the right tunnel, moving up and down as if walking. Then, 5 people emerged from the tunnel. It was a family of 5, all with blonde hair and blue eyes. An adult male and adult female, maybe in their 30s, and 3 children. They all had bicycles. I looked down at the youngest child, which was a girl, and she looked to be about 6 or 7 years old. I remember thinking to myself that she had strange eyes like she was on drugs.

I vaguely remember that the man held up an instrument and said that the next time I heard it I would know it was him. And they rode away on their bicycles.

We stood there for a long time, and I finally asked Sam what he saw. He ackowledged that he saw their glowing eyes. Nevertheless we tried to think of an ordinary explanation. We said that maybe it was the bicycle reflectors. But in the back of my head I saw glowing eyes and they moved up and down like a walking person, not like a rolling bike.

WTF? A family of 5 aryans who were just sitting inside a pitch black tunnel in the woods. With glowing eyes and bicycles.

I would've completely written off this story as a child's exaggerated memory, had it not been for my friend Sam's corroboration of my experience. Which is one reason why I agree with Jeff's assertion that these "high strangeness" occurrences are happening more often and to more people that we assume. I can only guess at the number of things I've written off and forgotten because there was no one there with me to back up my weird experience and say, "yes it happened".

My gut feeling, for whatever it's worth, is that these people were involved in some sort of "occult practices". With these practices they could alter people's consciousness in some way. I'm open to anyone's opinions, and I'd especially like to know if anyone has had a similar experience.

wow...thanks for sharing, Brandon! that is a freaky story, and I'm happy to say, I can't relate to it! I'm glad you didn't go into the tunnel tho.

Raevenskye said:
wow...thanks for sharing, Brandon! that is a freaky story, and I'm happy to say, I can't relate to it! I'm glad you didn't go into the tunnel tho.

I came back at a later date and forced myself to go into the left tunnel, but I don't remember ever going into the right tunnel.

Here's a somewhat odd, but not paranormal, follow-up story that is related: Many years later, I was working at a dine-in pizza hut. At these pizza huts, each table has its own little swag lamp hanging over the table. One table had a burnt out bulb which the manager never fixed for some reason, so we just worked around it and never sat people at the unlit table.

One day a family of blonde-haired blue eyed people came in. I went to seat them, and they expressly asked me to be sat at the table with no light. The memory from 7th grade immediately came back to me, but I really can't say whether they were the same people. I didn't and I still can't remember the faces.

Anyway, they ate their food in darkness and then left.

They left the tunnel with their bikes? If so, were they walking the bikes or riding them? If it was 5 ft, it's hard to imagine them riding them, especially the adults. They have instruments when they left?

I used to hang out in a place either me or one of my friends termed "Sh*tland" when I was very young. It was a sewer drain. I vaguely recall hearing some sounds that seemed out of place, but realized it was probably from near by houses. Sound traveling through the toilet maybe. The music MAY have been from this. Hard to say since I wasn't there of course.

As for the animals, my guess would be kids doing it. Yes, some kids do sick things.

What color were their eyes? How close to a human eye did they appear to be? Iris or pupil?

Paranormal Packrat said:
They left the tunnel with their bikes? If so, were they walking the bikes or riding them? If it was 5 ft, it's hard to imagine them riding them, especially the adults. They have instruments when they left?

I used to hang out in a place either me or one of my friends termed "Sh*tland" when I was very young. It was a sewer drain. I vaguely recall hearing some sounds that seemed out of place, but realized it was probably from near by houses. Sound traveling through the toilet maybe. The music MAY have been from this. Hard to say since I wasn't there of course.

As for the animals, my guess would be kids doing it. Yes, some kids do sick things.

What color were their eyes? How close to a human eye did they appear to be? Iris or pupil?

They were walking their bikes out of the tunnel, and didn't actually get on them until they left.

Only the father had an instrument, I can't remember what it was but I remember its size. It was about the size of a bar of soap, it could've just been a harmonica? Because the music coming from the tunnel sounded like a reed-type instrument like a harmonica or an accordion. The musical sounds definitely weren't sewer sounds though. They came from the exact place that the voices of the people were coming from.

I recall their eyes as being bluish-white, which doesn't really fit in with all the stories of the weird beings with red eyes. As best I can recall they were shaped exactly like normal human eyes, not bigger or almond shaped or anything. And they were in sets of 2 in the darkness just like you would expect to see, they were even at various heights to match with the various heights of the adults and the children!

The eyes are definitely the part that even I have a hard time believing after all these years, had I not confirmed it more than once with my friend.

BrandonD said:
They were walking their bikes out of the tunnel, and didn't actually get on them until they left.

Only the father had an instrument, I can't remember what it was but I remember its size. It was about the size of a bar of soap, it could've just been a harmonica? Because the music coming from the tunnel sounded like a reed-type instrument like a harmonica or an accordion. The musical sounds definitely weren't sewer sounds though. They came from the exact place that the voices of the people were coming from.

I recall their eyes as being bluish-white, which doesn't really fit in with all the stories of the weird beings with red eyes. As best I can recall they were shaped exactly like normal human eyes, not bigger or almond shaped or anything. And they were in sets of 2 in the darkness just like you would expect to see, they were even at various heights to match with the various heights of the adults and the children!

The eyes are definitely the part that even I have a hard time believing after all these years, had I not confirmed it more than once with my friend.

One more thing that I just remembered as I was sending this: There were yellow metal bars blocking the entrances to these tunnels. They were only about 3 feet off the ground so a person could climb over them, but I can't remember how the family got their bikes past these bars. I definitely don't remember them lifting their bikes up and over them, which it seems is what they would've had to do.

The eyes are a bit puzzling to me, but that's about it. I doubt they all wore weird contacts heh. I know that the human eye can appear to glow red in certain circumstances. Like in photography. I forget why that occurs. I'm sure someone out there knows. Hell, I worked at a photo studio awhile and relearned it then, but that knowledge never stays with me long. A bluish white glow, to the naked eye, is a bit strange to me. Perhaps someone out there could explain it in terms of the mundane.

Recollection is a double edged sword. Many take polar positions on it. Either it IS reliable, or NOT reliable. The truth so far as I can tell is it's both. Some details remembered are very accurate, and seemingly just as often, some details aren't. You have another person who says they saw the same thing which makes it harder to say it's a false memory on your part. There is still the chance of a contaminated memory, but this is too hard to prove or disprove.

Oh, if you want Jeff's feedback, maybe try over at his forum (if it's still there, I haven't been over in awhile) at ATS forums. He'll probably come across it here though. But if he doesn't try there.

Paranormal Packrat said:
The eyes are a bit puzzling to me, but that's about it. I doubt they all wore weird contacts heh. I know that the human eye can appear to glow red in certain circumstances. Like in photography. I forget why that occurs. I'm sure someone out there knows. Hell, I worked at a photo studio awhile and relearned it then, but that knowledge never stays with me long. A bluish white glow, to the naked eye, is a bit strange to me. Perhaps someone out there could explain it in terms of the mundane.

Recollection is a double edged sword. Many take polar positions on it. Either it IS reliable, or NOT reliable. The truth so far as I can tell is it's both. Some details remembered are very accurate, and seemingly just as often, some details aren't. You have another person who says they saw the same thing which makes it harder to say it's a false memory on your part. There is still the chance of a contaminated memory, but this is too hard to prove or disprove.

Well the eyes are certainly the weirdest part, but even without the eyes it was quite bizarre. A suburbia-looking family of 5 in a pitch black sewer tunnel in the woods?

Raevenskye said:
could they have been photo-sensitive, or albino, or something like that?

That's a very good question, they definitely all had a fair complection. But I don't remember their eyes being pink. They were blue, I'm pretty certain.

Hey Brandon-
Sorry I've just seen this, and for my late reply...this has been a rough week for work.

I can tell ya, young childhood experiences that scare the wiggles out of ya are really potent memories. I've often said my own are so vivid that I can recall them visually in a split second, and I'm 40 years old now. I've never forgotten them.

I'd say your experience with this "family" is definitely of the high strangeness variety, although I have no idea what to make of it. Have you ever done any research into the area of "urban legends" of the area? I'd be curious whats there.

To me the most important part of your account is where the father related that the next time you hear that sound you'd know it was him (them).

That seems sickeningly familiar to me. I dont know where or how but I've heard that kind of thing said to me. "When you see/hear this, it's us".

If I've learned anything by whats gone on with me over the years, its that the enigma (whatever it is) alters perceptions any way it sees fit. More often then not, it seems to create a bizarre scenario as if it's trying to be "normal", but it just doesnt fit. During such wierdness, you'll get the "message" or point. But the experience is unequivocally wierd...and it *feels* wierd.

Not seeing or recalling their faces doesnt surprise me. That happens alot, but you got the point one way or another. You saw what you were supposed to see, and thats it.

It's possible you didnt hear a harmonica, but a tone that your head equated to that. That sound may have had a hand in altering your perception. I've heard the tones in some instances myself, and they're multi-level sounds that I could easily see being resolved to a harmonica, or harmonics.

I'll wager the sound you heard of a harmonica, wasnt anything melodic or musical, but rather a tone or tones. No tune. Yes?

I dunno, from what you've said (and I have only that to go by) it sounds like definitely something past the veil. It's not a UFO experience, but then again, a UFO experience might not even be a UFO experience...but just a disguise of whatever unseen beings or consciousness that tends to fool with us. It appeared differently to you, because youre you.

If there's a next time, it could be a different guise. But you'll know if you hear that sound.

Not to lay any scaries on you, but I think at some point you'll see or have another similar experience. I dont know why else you'd be told how to identify the presence (harmonica). Maybe you wont ever heard it or see it again. Who knows.

But your right, it's another ancedote that super stangeness happens to alot of people, if not all of them. It's all about perception of something thats on the edge of perception to begin with. Some people have UFO experiences, some have ones like yours, some have even wierder ones. To me it just goes to show that not every instance is in the same disguise (if thats in fact what your experience relates).

I'd be interested in what your life was like at the time:
1) What were you interested in?
2) Any interest or activity in the occult (even something as mundane as a Ouija board, even if only around that time, not necessarily before on during)?
3) What's your nationality? I mean like way back, ancestral.
4) And have you ever taken an I.Q. Test? (A proper one, not an online one)

You dont have to respond publicly to any of these if you dont want to, but I'd be curious. Most likely I already know the answers, as it would fit a pattern I've seen over the years.

~J

Enjoyed the story, thanks for sharing it. It's creepy . . . mainly because it's strange but nothing outside the realm of what could happen in anyone's daily experience. I find tale like the one you relayed much more intriguing then listening to the yarns of abductee #476,538 and their dealings with 5 different alien races.

I don't know what I would have done in that situation. Probably the same thing you did, just sorta stared in disbelief.

-DBTrek

DBTrek said:
Enjoyed the story, thanks for sharing it. It's creepy . . . mainly because it's strange but nothing outside the realm of what could happen in anyone's daily experience. I find tale like the one you relayed much more intriguing then listening to the yarns of abductee #476,538 and their dealings with 5 different alien races.

If you see glowing eyes in your daily experience then we really need to hear some more of your tales!

This may sound silly, but I'm serious. A tunnel would give a cool reverb/echo effect for someone playing an instrument. That may be part of the reason they were there. Who knows though.

Sure gave me the creeps too, Brandon.

Interesting too that different instruments are used in Eastern cultures to help facilitate altered consciousness.

In recalling some of the species that have been described as being visitors it is worth noting that your description of them is similar to descriptions of the blonde's.

But, who am I to judge?

ondafritz said:
In recalling some of the species that have been described as being visitors it is worth noting that your description of them is similar to descriptions of the blonde's.

But, who am I to judge?

Here's a kinda funny story, I actually called in to Coast to Coast a long time ago to tell this story, and I actually got through. I told him the story, but held back on many of the details because I was afraid that I wouldn't be believed (even on C2C, which shows how nervous I was to tell it). Noory's conclusion was that they were alien-human hybrids.

Back