• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

January 28, 2018 — Bryce Zabel with J. Randall Murphy

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
A fascinating ride, as writer/producer and UFO researcher Bryce Zabel runs the gamut from pop culture to UFOs and the curious military types that Zabel and writing partner Brent Friedman met shortly after their network TV show, "Dark Skies," premiered in 1996.

J. Randall Murphy served as guest cohost.

This is a subject Randall and I pursued, along with the Mandela Effect, on this weekend's episode of "After The Paracast," the podcast available to subscribers to The Paracast+.

For more information about our premium service, please check:

Introducing The Paracast+ | The Paracast — The Gold Standard of Paranormal Radio

It was refreshing to hear Bryce and Randall's optimism about UFOs.
Thanks for the positive comment! I'm looking forward to Bryce's detailing of his encounter with the military guys. I was also really glad to get the experience I had with the In Search of Episode out to a guy in the business where maybe at some point he'll run across someone else who knows about it. He suggested the possibility that maybe it had only happened to me.

But how is that even possible with a broadcast transmission? Mind you I'm also one of the people who swears I heard the news stories about Mandela dying in prison. So like Bryce says. Who knows? Strange stuff happens in the world. Maybe like Gene suggests, we can shift multiple times through multiple realities where our individual history is so unique that I was literally the only one in this reality that experienced that. It's out there for sure. But I'll entertain any explanation that could be plausible.

Last edited:
Good episode and good job keeping the interview flowing. I added Surrounded by Enemies: A Breakpoint Novel to my reading list. For anyone who is interested in the JFK assassination I’d recommend James K Lambert’s Conspiracy Theorists Lie.

I think Bryce answered the question as to why the Men in Khaki would visit TV producers. He said they made up the entire JFK-UFO connection themselves at the time and it was a relatively unknown idea. A quick Google search now reveals shovelfuls of stuff about it. As he said, ridicule, disinformation and deception have been working just fine for decades. Apparently they wanted to get the story of this strange visit out and make a connection to the story line he had created. The real meaty parts of the story would be who sent them, why they picked him and why that particular time? Means, motive and opportunity. The story line presented itself. Regardless, mission successful. No way would I meet anyone in a cemetery, the basement of the Alamo or any other creepy place for that sort of thing.

Ridicule, disinformation and deception have been in use for decades because it’s the closest thing to a perpetual motion machine I can imagine. It feeds itself and just keeps going. For those of us interested in these topics we often fuel it ourselves. I am reminded of that scene in Close Encounters where the military is giving a press conference and in the middle of it the geezer stats talking about his Bigfoot encounter. A scripted gift to the man giving the movie briefing and another pop culture reference but fittingly descriptive.

As for FUSAG in WW2 and maskirovka in general it’s intended to play into the beliefs of the recipient and assumes there actually is something to cover up. At best Disclosure might be giving up a useful tool needlessly and at worst might actually jeopardize national security interests. God, what if the answer to Disclosure is that the phenomenon (and I believe there is one at the core of this) really is utterly elusive and The Government has no better clue than we do and has been using our interest, and by extension pop culture, for utterly earthbound reasons. Who would gain from revealing that? I think its anthropomorphic arrogance to assume that we have anything other than the ability to react, generally poorly, to the phenomenon.

I look at Roswell and the Betty and Barney Hill case with a jaundiced eye because the accounts have grown legs over the years for a variety of reasons. Again I’d point to the pile of JFK-UFO references easily found today and I can’t accept iconic cases as given. One of the reasons I liked Conspiracy Theorists Lie is because it adds a lot of detail that puts things into better context which makes the idea of the lone gunman more credible. The truth behind most stories always turns out to be less exciting. Kind of like meeting a favorite star and they turn out nothing like the character they've created.

This is why I am very interested in the DoD program that’s been revealed. Luis Elizondo and that gun camera footage haven’t been in the public eye and are fresh. We’ve been rooting around in the UFO litterbox so long it looks like we’ve come up with different kinds of clumps and I am hoping they don’t turn out to be what all the other ones have been.

Last edited:
Good episode and good job keeping the interview flowing. I added Surrounded by Enemies: A Breakpoint Novel to my reading list. For anyone who is interested in the JFK assassination I’d recommend James K Lambert’s Conspiracy Theorists Lie.

I think Bryce answered the question as to why the Men in Khaki would visit TV producers. He said they made up the entire JFK-UFO connection themselves at the time and it was a relatively unknown idea. A quick Google search now reveals shovelfuls of stuff about it. As he said, ridicule, disinformation and deception have been working just fine for decades. Apparently they wanted to get the story of this strange visit out and make a connection to the story line he had created. The real meaty parts of the story would be who sent them, why they picked him and why that particular time? Means, motive and opportunity. The story line presented itself. Regardless, mission successful. No way would I meet anyone in a cemetery, the basement of the Alamo or any other creepy place for that sort of thing.

Ridicule, disinformation and deception have been in use for decades because it’s the closest thing to a perpetual motion machine I can imagine. It feeds itself and just keeps going. For those of us interested in these topics we often fuel it ourselves. I am reminded of that scene in Close Encounters where the military is giving a press conference and in the middle of it the geezer stats talking about his Bigfoot encounter. A scripted gift to the man giving the movie briefing and another pop culture reference but fittingly descriptive.

As for FUSAG in WW2 and maskirovka in general it’s intended to play into the beliefs of the recipient and assumes there actually is something to cover up. At best Disclosure might be giving up a useful tool needlessly and at worst might actually jeopardize national security interests. God, what if the answer to Disclosure is that the phenomenon (and I believe there is one at the core of this) really is utterly elusive and The Government has no better clue than we do and has been using our interest, and by extension pop culture, for utterly earthbound reasons. Who would gain from revealing that? I think its anthropomorphic arrogance to assume that we have anything other than the ability to react, generally poorly, to the phenomenon.

I look at Roswell and the Betty and Barney Hill case with a jaundiced eye because the accounts have grown legs over the years for a variety of reasons. Again I’d point to the pile of JFK-UFO references easily found today and I can’t accept iconic cases as given. One of the reasons I liked Conspiracy Theorists Lie is because it adds a lot of detail that puts things into better context which makes the idea of the lone gunman more credible. The truth behind most stories always turns out to be less exciting. Kind of like meeting a favorite star and they turn out nothing like the character they've created.

This is why I am very interested in the DoD program that’s been revealed. Luis Elizondo and that gun camera footage haven’t been in the public eye and are fresh. We’ve been rooting around in the UFO litterbox so long it looks like we’ve come up with different kinds of clumps and I am hoping they don’t turn out to be what all the other ones have been.

Thanks for the comments. Excellent post :cool: . I'll have to check out some of those Google references you mention. @Christopher O'Brien had a visit from a guy, also in khakis or fatigues, if I recall correctly. These guys have been around in the shadows for decades, making sure they have a finger on the safety valve. I'm sure we're all familiar with the time Keyhoe went "off script" and they shut down the interview. I know the thing I saw happen on In Search Of was real. Man would I ever like to find the archive of that. It had to have been done with Nimoy's knowledge because he did the intro to the inserted clip. Imagine finding that in somebody's attic.

Thanks for the comments. Excellent post :cool: . I'll have to check out some of those Google references you mention. @Christopher O'Brien had a visit from a guy, also in khakis or fatigues, if I recall correctly. These guys have been around in the shadows for decades, making sure they have a finger on the safety valve. I'm sure we're all familiar with the time Keyhoe went "off script" and they shut down the interview. I know the thing I saw happen on In Search Of was real. Man would I ever like to find the archive of that. It had to have been done with Nimoy's knowledge because he did the intro to the inserted clip. Imagine finding that in somebody's attic.

Theoretical physics has become a convenient touchstone for those who want to prove all sorts of things. After I saw the most recent X-Files The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat I started poking around about the Mandela Effect and ran across this article you might find interesting: On shared false memories: what lies behind the Mandela effect | Aeon Ideas

That said, your experience definitely sounds weird. Adam Nimoy is alive and well and maybe you want to drop him a line. It’s free, right? He might respond and you never know what he might have to say.

As for The Men in Khaki I keep thinking that it could be someone at a relatively low level abusing their privilege a.k.a Richard Doty. There are personality types who crave manipulating others for reasons that can be hard to understand, even when the BS is exposed. I have dealt with a family member like that for years and never have been able to get my head around it. When I was listening to this episode I was wondering if the two guys that met Bruce went back to what they were doing and had a good laugh. Maybe they were thrown a cookie for their efforts.

Theoretical physics has become a convenient touchstone for those who want to prove all sorts of things. After I saw the most recent X-Files The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat I started poking around about the Mandela Effect and ran across this article you might find interesting: On shared false memories: what lies behind the Mandela effect | Aeon Ideas

That said, your experience definitely sounds weird. Adam Nimoy is alive and well and maybe you want to drop him a line. It’s free, right? He might respond and you never know what he might have to say.

As for The Men in Khaki I keep thinking that it could be someone at a relatively low level abusing their privilege a.k.a Richard Doty. There are personality types who crave manipulating others for reasons that can be hard to understand, even when the BS is exposed. I have dealt with a family member like that for years and never have been able to get my head around it. When I was listening to this episode I was wondering if the two guys that met Bruce went back to what they were doing and had a good laugh. Maybe they were thrown a cookie for their efforts.

I did write to Nimoy through his agent, but got no reply. Of course you couldn't get near him at the conventions. But that is a really good idea. Maybe Adam wouldn't be so mired in publicity that he might actually get a letter. Also thanks for the link. I've also done some looking into the skeptical side of the subject, and there's no question it descends into woo land fairly quickly, but I also think there is something unexplained going on that goes beyond psychiatric disorders. Reality is in and of itself a bizarre thing to try to get to the bottom of. That doesn't justify every nonsense theory and belief out there, but it definitely leaves room for some of this reality shifting stuff to be taken seriously.

This should be a playlist of all the episodes in order.

Really interesting show and discussion, especially for me when: Mr Zabel mentioned the possibility that we can create things (as in make them real) by believing in them or writing or drawing about them.
This is something I believe in, and have sometimes not posted an idea or thought for this reason.

Really interesting show and discussion, especially for me when: Mr Zabel mentioned the possibility that we can create things (as in make them real) by believing in them or writing or drawing about them.
This is something I believe in, and have sometimes not posted an idea or thought for this reason.

I believe John Lundberg shares those same thoughts.

John Lundberg - Wikipedia

Really interesting show and discussion, especially for me when: Mr Zabel mentioned the possibility that we can create things (as in make them real) by believing in them or writing or drawing about them. This is something I believe in, and have sometimes not posted an idea or thought for this reason.
I think it's fair to say that all real inventions begin with an idea, and that drawing them and writing about them is the next step in making them a reality. Once you have the idea and plans out there, it's just a matter of time before somebody else either makes it or comes up with something similar. So it doesn't need to be thought of in a paranormal context. But I think there are some people who put it into that context to give it an air of mysticism. That way it can help them capitalize on that particular market.

Real is relative. Slender Man became real enough for this:
upload_2018-2-2_7-31-31.png

Real is relative. Slender Man became real enough for this:
upload_2018-2-2_7-31-31.png

Agree 100% thought the same when I saw this:

A man has been arrested after an alleged "swatting" prank call led to police shooting dead a 28-year-old man.

Andrew Finch was shot at his front door on 28 December in Wichita, Kansas.

Police surrounded the home after receiving a hoax emergency call from a man claiming to have shot dead his father and taken his family hostage.

Man killed in Call of Duty 'swatting' hoax

Back