• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

January 27, 2019 — Jason Offutt

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
It's been nine years since we've had Jason on The Paracast, and I wonder why it's taken so long.

He covers lots of paranormal material, and he has a great sense of humor.

In fact, we ran out of time on the regular episode, so we asked him to stay over to do this weekend's After The Paracast too.

After The Paracast is an exclusive feature of The Paracast+. For more details; please visit: Introducing The Paracast+ | The Paracast — The Gold Standard of Paranormal Radio

The other day I happened to see a 2013 film that is called either Shadow People (2013) - IMDb or "The Door" that dramatizes people encountering the shadow beings that Jason talked about. (The direction and cut of the film was similar to the The Fourth Kind where both "dramatized" and "real" characters act out and comment on the encounter cases.)

At the end of this "Shadow People" film, a "Bibliography" is provided as to the basis of the film's plot. (Attached is a grab of it.) Jason Offutt is listed first, and the others listed are evidently legit. This includes a NYT's piece entitled, NIGHTMARES SUSPECTED IN BED DEATHS OF 18 LAOTIANS The film links unexplained deaths like these with shadow people.

It might have been nice to ask Jason about that.

Anyway, I realize that booking guests is not according to a fixed timetable, but if at all possible, it would be nice for booked guests to be listed on the Forum as early as possible, like two or three days before they are interviewed, when that is possible, so that more people can ask questions.

Interesting show.

Attachments

• bibliographyshadowpeople.jpg
    bibliographyshadowpeople.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 3
The other day I happened to see a 2013 film that is called either Shadow People (2013) - IMDb or "The Door" that dramatizes people encountering the shadow beings that Jason talked about. (The direction and cut of the film was similar to the The Fourth Kind where both "dramatized" and "real" characters act out and comment on the encounter cases.)

At the end of this "Shadow People" film, a "Bibliography" is provided as to the basis of the film's plot. (Attached is a grab of it.) Jason Offutt is listed first, and the others listed are evidently legit. This includes a NYT's piece entitled, NIGHTMARES SUSPECTED IN BED DEATHS OF 18 LAOTIANS The film links unexplained deaths like these with shadow people.

It might have been nice to ask Jason about that.

Anyway, I realize that booking guests is not according to a fixed timetable, but if at all possible, it would be nice for booked guests to be listed on the Forum as early as possible, like two or three days before they are interviewed, when that is possible, so that more people can ask questions.

Interesting show.
We're working on that, but we don't have a production crew to take care of those details. So if anyone wants to help source out guests along with their contact information, by all means get involved. After all, the forum offers a way to help make the show more what you want it to be as well as a place to post related content, and I'd like to see it used more for that than just airing complaints.

we don't have a production crew to take care of those details
Where is your evidence that other paranormal radio shows or podcasts have a "production crew" that does stuff like this, apart from Noory et al at C2C or maybe Strieber, or people at that level?

Maybe utilizing social media more effectively would be a good move. Nothing much seems to be happening with the show's twitter account--that might be a more fruitful place to source input than a forum.

if anyone wants to help source out guests along with their contact information, by all means get involved.
If we recommend a certain number of guests can we earn a month of Paracast Plus?

This episode came up with little advance warning.
Why? Honest question. From personal experience, I know several podcasters (in a variety of genres, not just paranormal) whose shows come out on a weekly basis that are able to book guests more than a day or two ahead of schedule. I know you've got two shows you're doing and that your plate must pretty full, but this should be feasible.

Where is your evidence that other paranormal radio shows or podcasts have a "production crew" that does stuff like this, apart from Noory et al at C2C or maybe Strieber, or people at that level?
Shows like C2C are obvious, but I've been on local radio here in Calgary too, and they also have staff who work behind the scenes. Admittedly, I don't have a ready list of all the radio stations that have staff who assist in pre and post production, but I'll gamble that many more radio shows besides C2C also have staff who source out guests as well as handle various aspects of marketing and technical. How much money would you bet that they they don't? Whatever the case, it still doesn't change the point that we don't have that.
Maybe utilizing social media more effectively would be a good move. Nothing much seems to be happening with the show's twitter account--that might be a more fruitful place to source input than a forum.
You are probably right about that, but it's Gene's show, and I only have so much time to volunteer. I have my own projects too. We do have Anders who helps as he's able between his more high-priority commitments.
If we recommend a certain number of guests can we earn a month of Paracast Plus?
If it were my say, I'd say that anyone who not only suggests a guest, but also provides their contact info should get a free week of ATP provided the guest does the show. I'd go further and say that anyone who volunteers for a pre-production position and comes up with weekly guests on a regular basis should be given free ATP as long as they continue to help out.
Why? Honest question. From personal experience, I know several podcasters (in a variety of genres, not just paranormal) whose shows come out on a weekly basis that are able to book guests more than a day or two ahead of schedule. I know you've got two shows you're doing and that your plate must pretty full, but this should be feasible.
I have to agree. But it's also not as quick and easy as one imagines when one gets right into it. Once upon a time there was very little competition to contend with. Now there's a lot. So the picking pool is highly watered down, with guests often already booked elsewhere. Plus this isn't my sole endeavor. My own projects, as well as keeping my own lights on, have to take priority.

Still, if we just had one or two more volunteers I think we could make your suggestions work, offer them free ATP, the occasional free e-book, and perhaps in time, other rewards as well. But again, it's not my show to make those kinds of decisions with. I imagine @Gene Steinberg would be fine with the ideas though. My experience with him is that he's very easy to work with.

I only have so much time to volunteer.
Plus this isn't my sole endeavor. My own projects, as well as keeping my own lights on, have to take priority.
Wait. Wait. Volunteer? Maybe it's my old lefty labor organizing instincts kicking in, but that is not right. The Paracast is a business, not a non-profit (and even non-profits pay their staff). Your business is your business, of course, but I hope that with the new revenue sources Gene's working on that you're going to be justly compensated for your time and contributions.

Still, if we just had one or two more volunteers I think we could make your suggestions work, offer them free ATP, the occasional free e-book, and perhaps in time, other rewards as well.
That's a cool idea!

Wait. Wait. Volunteer? Maybe it's my old lefty labor organizing instincts kicking in, but that is not right. The Paracast is a business, not a non-profit (and even non-profits pay their staff). Your business is your business, of course, but I hope that with the new revenue sources Gene's working on that you're going to be justly compensated for your time and contributions.
Thanks for the vote of support, and I share your sentiments. Perhaps if I share my primary motivation it will help explain why I'm okay with the situation for now. I feel that I'm not simply volunteering for a business, but for those others out there who have had genuine paranormal and UFO experiences, as well as those who find it interesting and would like to know more. It is as much for the cause as anything else, and The Paracast has an excellent track record of raising community awareness. So I'm volunteering not only for what I see as a community resource, but for the cause in general, and in particular the audience.

If at some point we get to the point where paying staff is a viable option, then I trust that we'll come to a fair arrangement. In the meantime I get free ATP, the occasional free book or e-book, as well as some promotion for my own website. So it's not all sacrifice for no reward.
That's a cool idea!
I like to think of constructive solutions :cool: .

Another good episode. I would like to ask Randall about his assertion that we have Aircraft the size of which was seen in Phoenix. (Phoenix lights) From my understanding the object spotted that night was as much as a mile wide. The largest craft we have at the moment is the stratolaunch with a wingspan of around 117meters. Also it was reported to be silent. I find it very hard to believe that we have anything that comes close to that. Also what would be the point? Strategically it would be a sitting duck and hard to hide:) Cheers John.

Wait. Wait. Volunteer? Maybe it's my old lefty labor organizing instincts kicking in, but that is not right.

Lmao.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The tangent about shrinking newspaper staffs was interesting to me since I'm one of those laid off by the USA Today Network. Your guest said the industry is still trying to figure out how to survive and the answer is easy: to beef up their staffs. Sadly, that's just not true. The newspaper-buying public (the elderly) is slowly passing on, classified and advertising sales are down and the business model itself is obsolete. The money just isn't flowing in quickly enough for newspapers to sustain themselves. The real tragedy is the death of local-news gathering. The NYT and Washington Post, etc., will live on both in print and online, but there will be no way to find out what's going on in your neighborhood. When I started in the business 40 years ago, we had reporters in every single town, both for news and sports. I know of some decent-sized newspapers near me who have three reporters total on their staffs. Newspapers are very expensive to maintain and, sadly, will be a thing of the past before long. End rant.

Such a large physical craft made of which material/s (mined/manufactured where). Powered by? Assembled where? (largest buildings in world can only manufacture jumbos) and by whom? (surely would take a cast of thousands in both manufacture and operations- someone would blab). Financed how ?(cost would be truly astronomical - and finally to what possible military/strategic purpose? (if we had that technology why bother with conventional aircraft at vast cost?) unlikely ??

There are potential answers to these questions, depending on how you interpret a number of facts, specifically an issue referred to as "the missing trillions" which has been best documented by Catherine Austin Fitts. Here is her bio from her companies website...

Catherine is the president of Solari, Inc., publisher of the Solari Report, and managing member of Solari Investment Advisory Services, LLC. Catherine served as managing director and member of the board of directors of the Wall Street investment bank Dillon, Read & Co. Inc., as Assistant Secretary of Housing and Federal Housing Commissioner at the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development in the first Bush Administration, and was the president of Hamilton Securities Group, Inc. Catherine has designed and closed over $25 billion of transactions and investments to-date and has led portfolio and investment strategy for $300 billion of financial assets and liabilities.
Catherine graduated from the University of Pennsylvania (BA), the Wharton School (MBA) and studied Mandarin Chinese at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. She blogs for the Solari Report at solari.com.

Catherine (CAF) collaborates with Dr. Joseph Farrell who together they have pushed this issue, most recently, into the MSM over the past few months. At the core of the issue is the inability to audit the Fed, and the black budgets which is supported by multiple sources which CAF and Dr. Farrell site.

If you have not come across this topic yet you should have a fascinating time looking into this.

TDSR....is you!

So this is a good thread, and thank you DavidVincent for the questions. I think this would be a good opportunity to discuss the extent of what many call the "US Empire", specifically that many countries cooperate with US initiatives as they receive "aid" for foreign infrastructure programs and resource support, many in sparsely populated, undereducated, and technologically stifled countries with great reserves of natural resources. Take a minute to look into Daniel Litz (aka Dark Journalist) work and research into the Pine Gap facility in Australia as an analog for how the US and Britain control the resources of the former crown territories, including Africa. There is a much greater extent to the resources of the US industrial complex than the in situ resources of the continental US. I am not saying the Pheonix lights, for example, was not genuine, just pointing out that the scale of the USMIC reaches. To quote a certain line from the movie "Gladiator" a man who sees the roman coliseum for the first time exclaims " I did not know man was capable of such things..."

TDSR

The tangent about shrinking newspaper staffs was interesting to me since I'm one of those laid off by the USA Today Network. Your guest said the industry is still trying to figure out how to survive and the answer is easy: to beef up their staffs. Sadly, that's just not true. The newspaper-buying public (the elderly) is slowly passing on, classified and advertising sales are down and the business model itself is obsolete. The money just isn't flowing in quickly enough for newspapers to sustain themselves. The real tragedy is the death of local-news gathering. The NYT and Washington Post, etc., will live on both in print and online, but there will be no way to find out what's going on in your neighborhood. When I started in the business 40 years ago, we had reporters in every single town, both for news and sports. I know of some decent-sized newspapers near me who have three reporters total on their staffs. Newspapers are very expensive to maintain and, sadly, will be a thing of the past before long. End rant.

That segment interested me as well.
The Buzzfeed layoff story was something I didn't expect to see pop up but am glad to hear their perspective.

Technology is moving forward, however I heard the site didn't grow into its projections as it thought.

Any local news is just going to be the tail end of whatever network affiliates have a tower in town. Maybe a few newspapers apps on smart phones pumping ads between cut and paste news articles.

Another good episode. I would like to ask Randall about his assertion that we have Aircraft the size of which was seen in Phoenix. (Phoenix lights) From my understanding the object spotted that night was as much as a mile wide. The largest craft we have at the moment is the stratolaunch with a wingspan of around 117meters. Also it was reported to be silent. I find it very hard to believe that we have anything that comes close to that. Also what would be the point? Strategically it would be a sitting duck and hard to hide:) Cheers John.
Thanks for your comments!

IMO there's insufficient evidence that the Phoenix lights were a craft. The lights usually seen in the video that descend behind the mountain range I'm satisfied from analysis were independent objects, probably flares. The other reports I've heard are interesting, but not sufficient enough to substantiate a mile wide craft. I also simply don't believe all the witnesses I've seen in the videos.

As a rule of thumb I also go with the axiom that if we could build it, then it is more likely to be ours than something from another world. There could of course be exceptions, but without more evidence it seems more reasonable to suggest a misperception on the size and that the object was some sort of unusual terrestrial lighter than air craft.

But who really knows for sure? Not me. I do believe alien craft have visited Earth, but I know of no single airtight case to support that belief. I just hold the position that it's not reasonable to believe that so many reports of an unusual nature can all be attributed to something mundane.

My favorite theory about the Phoenix Lights is that it's a combination of genuine alien visitation coupled with a military search, hence the flares. But we have to be careful about assuming our favorite theories are true just because we want them to be.

Last edited:
If it were my say, I'd say that anyone who not only suggests a guest, but also provides their contact info should get a free week of ATP provided the guest does the show. I'd go further and say that anyone who volunteers for a pre-production position and comes up with weekly guests on a regular basis should be given free ATP as long as they continue to help out.
Absolutely.

I lived through some of this. In the 1990s, I wrote a newspaper column and had regular and decently-paying book assignments. My income was appropriately high, relatively speaking.

Through the early 2000s, the newspaper reduced staff, including my column, and book contracts became less lucrative. Today, it's long ago and far away.

And I grew up in Brooklyn, New York, at a time when there were three tabloid newspapers, Daily Mirror, Daily News and New York Post. The broadsheet papers included the Herald-Tribune, Journal-American and the Times. These are just the ones that come to mind.

And the Brooklyn Daily Eagle.

It's enough to feel a little bit old.

Back