• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

It's like... how much more black could it BE?

My first thought was that a perfect use for this would be as a car paint to absorb laser radar.

A second less illegal thought was that if it absorbs all light wouldn't it be invisible to the human eye ? After all - our eye does not actually see an object, but the light reflected from that object. And what would that look like ? Negative space in a normal background ??? Something like a silhouette? Verrrrrry interesting

It would not be invisible because the light from behind the object would not be there to replace it. It would just be a featureless black outline... That alone could be very, very disconcerting. Have you ever tried to walk through in an absolutely lightless environment? Also, your brain does not like things it is not used to; I had an eye bounce out of my skull in an accident and saw down and forward at the same time which caused my sight to simply turn off. I fell backwards and that blind fall was incredibly disorienting (it seemed to last forever). I really wonder what your brain what do when confronted with a substantial amount of this material!

If they could make a "cloak" out of this, it would be interesting to see how it performs when observed by IR and other night vision technologies. It has some serious military applications if it is not so black that it spotlights itself with its lack of reactivity!

Michael L. said:
It would not be invisible because the light from behind the object would not be there to replace it. It would just be a featureless black outline... That alone could be very, very disconcerting.

Yes -- that is sort of what I meant by "Negative space in a normal background ??? Something like a silhouette?" In "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" there is a shot of a silhouetted UFO following Roy Neary's truck -- you can't see the craft, but you can't see the stars -- it mostly looks someone cut out a shape from the background - this is what I imagine this to be like.

So -- suppose you have a ninja suit made out of this material , and you come up with a device to bend light about yourself -- would that make you invisible?

Michael L. said:
Have you ever tried to walk through in an absolutely lightless environment? Also, your brain does not like things it is not used to; I had an eye bounce out of my skull in an accident and saw down and forward at the same time which caused my sight to simply turn off. I fell backwards and that blind fall was incredibly disorienting (it seemed to last forever). I really wonder what your brain what do when confronted with a substantial amount of this material!

Ummm -- Ewwww. but I have heard about eyes popping out of the socket and wondered what that would be like. Now I know. However, the brain can adjust to unusual circumstances, and I am sure that given time your brain would somehow make some sort out of the situation.

Michael L. said:
If they could make a "cloak" out of this, it would be interesting to see how it performs when observed by IR and other night vision technologies. It has some serious military applications if it is not so black that it spotlights itself with its lack of reactivity!

Funny -- the last thing I thought of was military applications. No wait, I take that back -- I didn't think of military applications at all -- lol. But of course you are right (If I knew what IR was) -- I am sure the military would glom onto this immediately.

IR is infared. That is the night vision stuff that either looks greenish or like weird black and white video (like the Paris Hilton tape!). It is light that is normally not in our visual range... So where such a cloak would make a soldier hard to spot in the shadows with the naked eye in the dark, they may actually be EASIER to spot using such a system.

And whenever there is any new technology you should always consider the military application... the military is!

Michael L. said:
IR is infared.

Of course it is -- DUH !!!!!

Michael L. said:
And whenever there is any new technology you should always consider the military application... the military is!

Sorry -- my extremely liberal brain just doesn't go there -- LOL. But you are right, I am sure the military looks at just about every new invention with consideration of how it can be used in warfare.

Trouble is, by the time we hear about it, it's probably already in use. Or it goes black for military use long before we hear of it again.

I'm such a downer sometimes. Sorry. We could all use super duper solar panels. Here's to progress in a hurry!

Poi said:
We could all use super duper solar panels. Here's to progress in a hurry!

I'm sure BigOil will get right on that... and by "get right on that" I of course mean "get right on to purchasing the prioprietary rights and burying it so we never see it again, while simultaneously lobbying the governement to make it illegal to own".

Oops. Goes blacker? Nah.

Goes blackest. Nope.

Blacks out? Been there, done that.

Alrighty. It bleeps out. So there. :D

it's actually WHITE, when it's not "Grey". It's the Ku Klux Klan and the American Nazi Party, where and how they hide in the United States.

It's Operation overcast, and so it's two shades of "grey".

It's the grey of large-eyed aliens, and it's the grey of an overcast created by a terawatts-powerful atmosphere+ manipulation device. I don't imagine that MANY New Zealanders are surfing the 'nets finding out about the High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program...but I know what a figure of speech is. Even Barack Obama is only BEIGE. Perhaps it is beige? (Fuck 'Em If They Can't Take A Joke!)

--one thing is certain -- secret operations that the taxpayers don't know about basically ARE the deficit. Between that and of course the valueless dollar, enough people can see the contrived disaster that Big Government is attempting to create on purpose -- to DO something about it.

and that, if you're quick enough to keep up: is

---------- Post added at 02:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 AM ----------

The Obama administration does not want to talk about Anwar al-Aulaqi. A sixty-four page brief sent to the US district court in Washington, D.C. early Saturday morning made this clear. The document—supported in public declarations by the CIA Director Leon Panetta, National Intelligence Director James Clapper and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates—was issued in response to a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union and the Center for Constitutional Rights on August 30 and invokes the controversial state secrets privilege in order to halt the rights groups’ attempt at litigation.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

AT A CERTAIN POINT ONE MUST LOOK AT THE SSP AND REALISE
that it is PRECISELY being used to obscure the participation of the Bush Administration in the Obama Administration. But one must add intuition to the otherwise imbalanced Western way of seeing...

...adding intuition, THEN you can see the Paperclip and the Overcast and the Trading With The Enemy and the Bush, Bush, Bush...going all the way back to the Second World War...which is why the SSP is being used so much. The secret, of course is the GUN at the back of Barack Obama's Beige head -- the guns pointed at his wife and daughters, aimed and held steady by the Secret Nazis of the GOP, who are as real as George Herbert was when he was Nixon's shadowy advisor, at that time when an Administration was found in Conspiracy.

Back