• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

It ain't a black triangle but...

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
[via Stardrive:]
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 12:16 PM
To: [email protected]

Subject: Re: That (NOT SO) ridiculous Area 51 Book (Dr. Quantum)

"Separate issue...can this aerospace giant try any harder to make this look like a flying saucer? Spooky lighting is a nice touch."

neither is this one

Next month, a V-shaped airship bigger than a baseball diamond is due to rise from the West Texas desert to an altitude of 100,000 feet (30.5 kilometers), navigate by remote control, linger above the clouds and drift back to earth.
For the U.S. Air Force, the feat will demonstrate the feasibility of a new kind of semi-autonomous craft that could hover in "near space," to do reconnaissance and relay battlefield communications.
That vision is ambitious enough. But for JP Aerospace, the California-based company that built the airship for the military, the flight would represent just one more small step toward an even bigger conceptual leap: a system of floating platforms that gossamer spaceships could use as high-altitude way stations.
"The full-size station in our grand vision is 2 miles across," John Powell, the company's founder, told MSNBC.com.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5025388/

050418_ascender.grid-6x2.jpg

050418_spaceballoon.grid-6x2.jpg

In this artist's conception, a 6,000-foot-long, helium-filled craft flies in orbit, propelled by an ion drive.

Is there anything that classic saucers did that we can't do today with known aircraft? I think modern sightings are much harder to sort out as the skies are full of suspects.

Ya know I love the paranormal. I read every ghost story I could get my hands on as a child. I went to see Close Encounters way back when and was just blown away. I loved the only "Son of Krypton" (Superman for all you young-uns) when I was a child and was horrifed at the "power" of the aliens in the original Day the Earth Stood Still. :) I grew up to read horror novels and Stephen King was the only "true" writer. I still love the pop culture of ufo's and think the purely materilistic world of the skeptics is a cold sterile place that I wouldn't want to live in. But, alas I just don't beleive we are being visited by folks from outer space. I read books about Alien Abduction and want to beleive. Hell, I'll even take the belief in the demonic hord that some of the religious folks believe in. I want to think that the light in the sky is an acutal enlightened being from the stars. But, while Whitley Striber and Stanton Freidman and Richard Dolan are intersting. I just can't quite buy it. But, I'll keep watching the skies and hope that somewhere somehow somebody with real "game" will publish something that will cause me to say "Dayum" that's incredible. :)

I saw some Lockheed patents filed in the 80's/90's for cargo airships that actually were deltoid shaped a long time ago. I'll try to find them again.

An aside, In the 70's was about 7 years old riding home with my parents on the floating bridge in Seattle over Lake Washington. It was dark, and foggy, and a HUGE UFO with flashing light patterns all over the side of it was right above the bridge. Everybody was stopping and getting out of their cars. I tried to hide on the floor of the car. I was terrified. I remember my mom saying "Why are you hiding? You're always talking about spaceships.".

It was very low, maybe a couple of hundred feet above, if that. Traffic was barely moving because of it. When we got a a little closer you could make out the shape of it a little better. It was gigantic. We got even closer and you could read a logo on the side. It was the Goodyear blimp! I'm sure the pilot thought it was hilarious. (It did look authentically scary, even to my parents.)

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Is there anything that classic saucers did that we can't do today with known aircraft? I think modern sightings are much harder to sort out as the skies are full of suspects.

Extremely high speeds, right angle maneuvers at those speeds, instantaneous acceleration, no visible exhaust, no sonic booms, VTOL, lack of noise or very low strange noise, etc.

You forgot blinking out of existence. I think everything else can be duplicated or explained as observer error. Still no credible film of those fabled speedy right angle turns to my knowledge.

I didn't know we were talking about filmed sightings. I just pulled some of the reported behaviors out. We can't duplicate the no sonic boom thing, can't duplicate the no exhaust/vapor trail thing, the instantaneous acceleration thing, the lack of noise either. If you have any examples of modern aircraft that can, (even rumored black project stuff) I'd be interested in reading about them.

I aggree with the points raised both bitfiend and sentry... There are lots of reported observations and maneuvers from UFO sightings that cannot be dublicated by know aircraft, but the agurment still stands whether the reports are infact accurate.

Particularly the high speeds, impossible turns etc; These could be due to perspective or reflective viewing conditions, and can only really be confirmed as real life movements from multiple angles/witnesses, or even better, radar returns.

I still think the similarities in the things that these craft can do crop up too many times in reports for them to be just tricks or the mind or mass delusion, but getting the evidence to confirm their existence (as 'whatever' they may be) isn't easy... But here's to wishing!

Back