• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Is there any consensus on the Mothman?

The Mothman sightings are such a weird occurrence that I doubt there will ever be a consensus on any one theory. The skeptics over simplify the phenomenon and tend to ignore most of the very strange peripheral stuff like MIB, Indrid Cold and UFOs. The more nuts & bolts explanation that Mothman is a cryptid also tends to ignore much of the other strangeness that occurred. Then you have John Keel who's take on Mothman resided in a much more existential realm. I used to think the cryptid theory was the answer, but now I think the idea of some sort of cross dimensional phenomenon is interesting. Whatever the case, I truly believe that people saw something...something that terrified them. I don 't know how anyone could watch some of the witnesses describe their experience and not see that those people were truly frightened by something...even if only in their own mind (which is a truly interesting phenomenon in itself).

I'm with you, it seems something real happened to these people. What that reality was is what hangs me up. The "indrid cold" situation just further complicated the matter.thanks for replying.

I have a interest in the mothman since I only live 50 miles a way.
I think something may have happened.
Legend says Chief Cornstalk put a curse on that town in 1777.

Yep, heard that too. the only thing, is do you believe that curses have that kind of power? Wish the paracast would do an update show on it.

All I know is what I've seen in various documentaries. Most of the witnesses on camera appear sincere and truthful. Beyond that... dunno.

Anyone who has had the pants scared off them are always very convincing witnesses even if the only thing they saw was a large owl and light reflecting off their inner eye surface. The Mothman Prophecies is an excellent example of what happens when you collide a series of scary unknown encounters with a contactee's narrative - when you add Keel to the mix mythology follows, hence the MIB features etc.

A lot of winged monster sightings are usually large Great Horned Owls on trees, their eyes flashing back light and flying menacingly low overhead. They can be quite a unique, intense experience at night. I think that the general consensus amongst anomalies is that the sightings were of an owl, and the rest of the events got woven into a very tight, ethereal tapestry by Keel. Individual witness reports are the bulk of this story, no? When you add the bridge collapse which was a structural defect, you have an apocalyptic story that now has its own statue. And it's a good looking statue.

Back