• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Is anyone else Roswell-ed out?

Free episodes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lone Gunman

Paranormal Novice
I'm a big fan, really. I realize 60th anniversaries are big, nay huge. But I am getting so burned out on the topic, it's ridiculous.

I really liked that on the last show David steered the roundtable away from the Roswell discussion a bit, because the entire topic of UFOs is interesting enough without narrowing the discussion to such a laser-thin point. I did like the Larry King breakdown as I am all for a Michael Shurmer flogging anytime, anywhere. Let me know, I'll bring the beer.

I admit the Haut admission was a neat new development, but on the whole I couldn't agree more with the panel that Roswell is beginning to fade into this mythological mist. I think the UFOlogy field as a whole should move on from this case to more recent, more (possibly substantial) cases where the race with the undertaker is more winnable.

By the by, William Birnes would have been great on the round table with his Corso info. And when is Ritzman going to become an official co-host? Love that guy.

ondafritz said:
I believe it is time for a Roswell break. Yes, I agree.

I don't disagree with you, but we'll have one more discussion with Dennis Balthaser on the subject, set for August 12, before we move on.

It is not so much that I am Roswell-ed out as I am "same old information-ed" out (I started a new thread about this very thing elsewhere).

Read even the newest books about Roswell and to a large degree it will simply rehash everything we already have heard about it, with perhaps a few new bits of information.

So, perhaps the real question is "Is there anything really new and important to be gleaned for going over Roswell one more time or should we move on to other UFO cases that are compelling and have not be researched as much?"

With all the thrill and excitement of the National Curling Semi-Finals...

PLEASE, PLEASE, no more Roswell for awhile. I'm sick of it and at this point we are only wringing tales out of somebody's 2nd cousin's uncle's friend who once worked in New Mexico and has actually been near Roswell while hauling his Roadrunner to Stock Car Saturday in Las Cruces.
I can't stand the sound of Stanton Friedman's voice anymore--unless mimicked by DB (I think). I crack up every time he says "Why do you ask that?". The only two voices I hate more are whining Whitley and burping Jim (Sparks).
And that that old space ship is about as exciting as a Rambler Classic next to Triangles and sportier models.
I realize it is the big 60th but do we have to observe it for the full year? The only thing I find less exciting is ghost hunting TV shows and the associated Orbs and EVP's.
KO

You can put my vote in the Roswell-ed out category. It's just become so much more of a myth than an actual event that the lines between fact and fiction are irretrievably blurred, so much so that it may be detrimental to the ufology field as a whole.

True, it has managed to keep UFOs on the front (or maybe second) page over the years, but so many other compelling cases are eclipsed by the spectacle that is Roswell. Instead of capitalizing on it's popularity and using that as a vehicle to introduce the public to new cases and sightings, the same Roswell proponents just rehash the same old tales and bring up more and more evidence that the doubters just counter with more and more evidence of their own. The truth gets lost in the shuffle.

I did enjoy hearing Dennis Balthaser on the new show, as I consider him to be a reputable investigator; but his account of the goings on at the Roswell museum only reinforced my feelings on the subject. The prospect of an amusement park in Roswell and Haut's dubious deathbed affadavit just chisel away at the Roswell case itself. And that is how the media see UFOs, as the Roswell case. To some it's a pivotal case to the rest of the world, it's a t-shirt. We need to give it a rest. The work of many other researchers such as Richard Dolan or Paul Kimball make it clear that we don't need to rely on Roswell to convince others of the reality of this phenomenon.

-todd.

I agree, it's time to move on from Roswell. Dennis Balthaser was good but the investigation has stuck in a quagmire of "my research is more definitive than your research!".

"cosmo, sex position of the week"? wtf? (no pun intended)

pretty strange we cant say sh*t but we can click a link to a sex site? i wouldnt click that in a million years but i might click a tech/news site. i have no problem with advertising but cosmo is way out there.

Yeah, I feel done with it too, but truth be told I was never really that interested to begin with. I like the recent episodes regarding Roswell though. One good thing that came out of them was hearing David's Stanton impression (as Korum1 noted above). That's worth a segment of its own!

Brian Now said:
Yeah, I feel done with it too, but truth be told I was never really that interested to begin with. I like the recent episodes regarding Roswell though. One good thing that came out of them was hearing David's Stanton impression (as Korum1 noted above). That's worth a segment of its own!

Lone Gunman said:
Is anyone else Roswell-ed out?

Big time. It's too tied up in pop culture BS and too long ago to help this field progress in any positive direction IMO.

I saw yet another Roswell special on Discovery last night (Best Case or Best Evidence or something...) in which they actually recreated a Mogul-like set up, took it out to the desert and popped the balloons to see how it landed. Can you guess what happened?

The skeptics said: "See? This proves it! It had to be a Mogul balloon!"

And the believers said: "See? This proves it! It couldn't have been a Mogul balloon!"

End of show. Seriously, they just end it there.

Nevermind the fork, this bird isn't done, it's CHARCOAL.

CapnG said:
I saw yet another Roswell special on Discovery last night (Best Case or Best Evidence or something...) in which they actually recreated a Mogul-like set up, took it out to the desert and popped the balloons to see how it landed. Can you guess what happened?

The skeptics said: "See? This proves it! It had to be a Mogul balloon!"

And the believers said: "See? This proves it! It couldn't have been a Mogul balloon!"

End of show. Seriously, they just end it there.

Nevermind the fork, this bird isn't done, it's CHARCOAL.

Thank you for listing another show not worth watching.

Gene Steinberg said:
Thank you for listing another show not worth watching.

Well if I can prevent one other person from wasting an hour of their lives, it's makes the hour I lost seem less painful.

Was that the same show that explained the heiroglyphic covered I-beams as balsa wood that had gotten the patterns from holiday tape transferred onto it?

Apparently, for some reason during the construction of the Mogul balloons, the USAF had to resort to using adhesive scotch-type tape in order to hold the it together. This tape happened to be Christmas themed tape with ribbons and stars printed on it which in turn transferred onto the balsa wood... and voilà, extra-terrestrial heiroglyphics.

-todd.

I can't say, I was in and out of the room, making dinner. No doubt it was in there somewhere. All the usual suspects were present, so it's a good bet all the usual arguments were raised.

Roswell is just another case in a long line of UFO cases where the more steps we take to unravel the mystery, the farther away the truth gets. I'm a little resigned to the fact that what really happened is probably forever lost in the mists of time and disinformation. It would probably take a team of investigators with enough experience and money to do everything right and know where to look. Unfortunately, no one out there has either the right experience or the financial backing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back