• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Interactive Mythology

conor

Skilled Investigator
when I was 12 or so I saw a ufo with two of my friends and my lil bro. It was my birthday. I had went to see Independence day in the cinema that day. We all saw the object in the sky. The fact that I saw this on that particular day makes me wonder if ufos are what I would like to call (drum roll please) physical manifestations of an interactive mythology.

Okay, so every generation is a generation of myth makers that reflect the general hopes and fears of that generation. What I am proposing is that these myths interact with certain phenonema which are unexplained (plasma, higher dimensional frequencies, collective consciouness etc, the list goes on) to produce physical or partly physical manifestations (or projections) of these myths which are part of our culture. The confusion that the ufo phenonema presents is to do with this fact, but also to do with the advent of mass communication. In a small tribal society, myths are very structured, and when people have experiences they tend to be very similar to the experiences of others in the tribe. Their gods literally take a certain shape familiar to all within that small close knit community. With mass communication, and a growing culture of global awareness, this same phenonema becomes confusing and distorted. It is as if our collective consciousness is shaping itself to fit our changing world, and the alien, the other, is the myth of our time.

It's just a theory that I've been thinking about for a while:rolleyes:

Okay, so every generation is a generation of myth makers that reflect the general hopes and fears of that generation. ... With mass communication, and a growing culture of global awareness, this same phenonema becomes confusing and distorted. It is as if our collective consciousness is shaping itself to fit our changing world, and the alien, the other, is the myth of our time.

that makes sense, and if someone accepts that, then it only a short step towards that "The Secret" theory that is making money hand over fist for the person who put it together... how ironic that someone who is doing something to make money, just might have tapped into one of the many truths out there that remain unknown...

me neither, but it works along the law of attraction, if what I have heard and read about it are correct.
tx on Einstein, he seemed like one really cool nerd!

Like the Einstein quote::)....never read The Secret though

Read Abraham-Hicks, which is what inspired it, but then they were kinda cut out of the ordeal. They were left somewhat in the documentary though. I only watch about half of it, made me kinda sick. Abraham-Hicks is way better than the Secret imo.

Okay, so every generation is a generation of myth makers that reflect the general hopes and fears of that generation. What I am proposing is that these myths interact with certain phenonema which are unexplained (plasma, higher dimensional frequencies, collective consciouness etc, the list goes on) to produce physical or partly physical manifestations (or projections) of these myths which are part of our culture. The confusion that the ufo phenonema presents is to do with this fact, but also to do with the advent of mass communication. In a small tribal society, myths are very structured, and when people have experiences they tend to be very similar to the experiences of others in the tribe. Their gods literally take a certain shape familiar to all within that small close knit community. With mass communication, and a growing culture of global awareness, this same phenonema becomes confusing and distorted. It is as if our collective consciousness is shaping itself to fit our changing world, and the alien, the other, is the myth of our time.

I find this to be a very interesting idea. The essence of the paranormal experience being the same, across the board throughout time. However, the manifestation of what the viewer sees/feels fluctuates according to how the brain interprets the experience. Which of course is dependent on the time period that the individual is in and his/her culture. You experience what you know. So the source of the unknown phenomena doesn't change, only how the viewer interprets it.

This actually touches on conversations Paul Kimball and I have had over the varying paranormal fields of study and whether perhaps they actually are connected.

Well, going along these same lines, and I have no data to back this up, but you would expect to find many examples of physically appearing angels, the Devil himself, dead relatives, and so on. And certainly to some extent we do, although I don't know about religious manifestations such as angels. Anyone know about angel sightings?? Religion seems to much more pervasive than UFO's and the alien archetype.

But the truth is that science is beginning to look at how the observer comes in to play in the workings of our universe. And it seems that observation may be quite an important yet neglected component of physics. There are some interesting articles in my new Discover magazine relating to this. I've wondered about this quite a bit because we really have no idea why physical or quantum phenomena might change just by introducing an observer. But the fact is that it does change. This is explicit in the double slit experiment.

And while the UFO and other para-phenomenon persist, the apparent observer manipulated results are even more intriguing and strange than Greys from Zeta Reticuli. In fact it second guesses what we think is reality altogether.

But the truth is that science is beginning to look at how the observer comes in to play in the workings of our universe. And it seems that observation may be quite an important yet neglected component of physics. There are some interesting articles in my new Discover magazine relating to this. I've wondered about this quite a bit because we really have no idea why physical or quantum phenomena might change just by introducing an observer. But the fact is that it does change. This is explicit in the double slit experiment.

And while the UFO and other para-phenomenon persist, the apparent observer manipulated results are even more intriguing and strange than Greys from Zeta Reticuli. In fact it second guesses what we think is reality altogether.

Mind blowing eh... isn't it fantastic?! :p

Two words: holographic universe.

PK

So we create our own gods, and our own reality?

I choose to make my god look like Jessica Alba. ;)

I'd rather meet jessica alba on a dark night than a little grey dude:D
I'd rather meet a little gray dude than a big-ass creepy bug. And if I had to choose a Hollywood chick for them to appear as, I have this strange crush on Jenna Fischer. Kari Byron from Mythbusters gives me a funny tingle, also.

Well I'd rather my god look like a young Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp or Orlando Bloom (as Legolas or just as himself, whichever) :eek: :D

Back