• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Insane irony in previews before Avatar

AdamI

Skilled Investigator
I saw Avatar (a.k.a. Pocahontas in space) a few days ago. I really liked the movie, and do recommend it... but that's not why I'm here.

I am here because immediately prior to the film I was treated to:

a) TWO gung-ho advertisements for different branches of the U.S. military

... immediately followed by ... wait for it ...

b) An advertisement for a series of nationwide live theater appearances of none other than Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly!

That's right. Glenn and Bill are taking their clown show national to some series of tent revival tea party wankoffs in movie theaters. Apparently you might get to actually meet Sarah Palin too! Wow!

The irony of this stuff immediately before Avatar was pretty incredible.

P.S. Avatar did make me think... maybe it's a good thing we don't have starships yet.

If I went and paid to watch a movie, and got stuck listening to any of the above listed...ummm, I'll be nice...people. I would probably go Na'vi on their ass.

And what part of the world are you in?

Massachusetts. Not exactly a red state, despite the fact that they recently elected the nude Republican to the Senate.

(I call him the naked Republican because there's a well-circulated naked spread of him on the Internet.)

Massachusetts. Not exactly a red state, despite the fact that they recently elected the nude Republican to the Senate.

(I call him the naked Republican because there's a well-circulated naked spread of him on the Internet.)

That pic is from like 30 years ago though. it's not like it was taken anytime recently. Total double standard as far as if that was a female her chances of being elected would be zero. Although in the case of Hillary or Pelosi I'd hate to accidentally come across a pic of them naked. ## shudder ##

An advertisement for a series of nationwide live theater appearances of none other than Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly!

That's right. Glenn and Bill are taking their clown show national to some series of tent revival tea party wankoffs in movie theaters.

I don't always agree with those two guys, but I give them a listen now and then, and they make some good points. Bill O'Reilly is actually a pretty fair guy, and Glenn Beck has put together some really excellent programs. He'll always be a flamboyant showman, of course, and he often stretches his arguments a bit too far. But what, for example, does he put forth in the below video clip that is so objectionable?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/38mm4TimlLw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/38mm4TimlLw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>​

If I went and paid to watch a movie, and got stuck listening to any of the above listed...ummm, I'll be nice...people. I would probably go Na'vi on their ass.

I agree with you, I don't like ANY ads before paid movies at all.

But, would an ad to meet say Helen Thomas or Jesse Jackson be just as objectionable for you?

I don't always agree with those two guys, but I give them a listen now and then, and they make some good points. Bill O'Reilly is actually a pretty fair guy, and Glenn Beck has put together some really excellent programs. He'll always be a flamboyant showman, of course, and he often stretches his arguments a bit too far. But what, for example, does he put forth in the below video clip that is so objectionable?

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/38mm4TimlLw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425">http://www.youtube.com/v/38mm4TimlLw&hl=en_US&fs=1&http://www.youtube.com/v/38mm4TimlLw&hl=en_US&fs=1&http://www.youtube.com/v/38mm4TimlLw&hl=en_US&fs=1&</object>​

You've GOTTA be joking.

Btw, that Che Guevara "expose" was laughable. Full of quote mining and other logical errors.

I agree with you, I don't like ANY ads before paid movies at all.

But, would an ad to meet say Helen Thomas or Jesse Jackson be just as objectionable for you?
Absolutely. Jesse Jackson's hair smells like peanut-butter mixed with sweat and WD-40. Helen Thomas's farts smell like 3 week-old haggis. Trust me. These things I know. I can "whiff-stench" psychic-auras with superb accuracy. My third-nostril has been opened.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

By quote mining I meant taking his more offensive quotes out of context to fit the format of the piece. Instead of relating the context of the situations. It's Fox , so naturally it's lurid and sensational, and very slanted.

But I do agree that he's been romanticized and made into a glossy counter culture hero when most people have no idea who he was or what he really represented. They just admire the "revolutionary" aspect. he was obviously much more complicated than that. A hero and a villain. . I wont defend his violence, but I can relate to his drastic measures against the Imperialism of Capitalism etc.
The irony is staggering , that he would be a fashion icon for consumers.

By quote mining I meant taking his more offensive quotes out of context to fit the format of the piece. Instead of relating the context of the situations. It's Fox , so naturally it's lurid and sensational, and very slanted.

But I do agree that he's been romanticized and made into a glossy counter culture hero when most people have no idea who he was or what he really represented. They just admire the "revolutionary" aspect. he was obviously much more complicated than that. A hero and a villain. . I wont defend his violence, but I can relate to his drastic measures against the Imperialism of Capitalism etc.
The irony is staggering , that he would be a fashion icon for consumers.

Picard sums up where this thread is going...

picardheadesk.jpg
picardheadesk.jpg

he was obviously much more complicated than that. A hero and a villain. . I wont defend his violence, but I can relate to his drastic measures against the Imperialism of Capitalism etc.

I promise I won't keep this going any longer after this final comment--but I just can't resist.

A few years ago, I think it was, I read an article about Hitler's personal secretary, who had died. Your comment above reminds me of the story, because she wanted to tell people about the side of Adolf that most people didn't know. He could be a very kind, thoughtful, and generous man. He loved taking walks on the beech barefoot, feeling the sand between his toes ... okay, that one I made up.

But in short, Hitler was a villain, yes, but also a hero to so many people whose lives he elevated before war broke out. And many of the modern members of the Hitler cult revere him as a great hero of the anti-Communist cause--and a sharp critic of the corrupt American capitalist democracy.

Does it all depend on your point of view, or can some evils just not be so easily offset by other acts of beneficence?

FWIW ... We all have our moral blind spots.

Over and out ...

JungeBlindSpotDVD.jpg

Back