• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Infrasound

dusty

Skilled Investigator
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here and I would like to ask if any one has any opinions
on the subject of infrasound. Specifically with regard to its effects on perception.

I don't know much but I am aware that it can have some rather strange effects both physiologically and psychologically.
If anyone is interested you might like to take a look at this page.

www.borderlands.com/newstuff/research/infra.htm

I have been listening to the Paracast for some time now and to date I dont recall this being talked about by any of the guests.

My reason for being interested is really because I feel this may well be a contributing factor in many hauntings/oobe's.

Well that's all for now.

Peace, Mark (dusty).

We had access to a device that measured infrasound. We spoke with someone that used it professionally and we all believe that it is a viable cause for people experiencing what they perceive as paranormal activity. Sound can have a lot of effect on our bodies and thinks like infrasound are natural so I guess it could possibly be one of the contributing factors on why we see/feel things. Unfortunately we never went ahead with experimenting with it so I can't say for sure.

Thanks for your response Jose,

Like I said I dont know much, but have been intrigued by this phenomenon for some time.

Some years ago I saw a documentary about the megalithic structure at Newgrange in County Meath, I think, over in Ireland.

Basically after some research it was found that the structure itself was acting like an enormous speaker, for want of a better word.
It produced an infrasonic wave by the action of the wind blowing across the open doorway. Much like the effect of blowing across the top of an empty bottle.

The crew suffered feelings of nausea and had the peculiar
sensation of being in the presence of something other-worldly.

Another observation was that the dust on the floor started to rise and form spirals. Like many structures from ancient times, spirals and zigzag lines were carved into the walls. It was concluded that the inspiration for these patterns may well be down to the effects of infrasound on the dust.

These experiments seemed to me to be a good explanation, both of the physical effects and the odd sensations experienced by those present.

As this and other structures of that era were of religious signifigance,
it seems to me these effects would go some way to explain early belief systems, or rather such phenomena may well have been taken as evidence of some higher power.

Any thoughts?

I found that article some time back, dusty. It makes for a hornets' nest of questions. My guess is that there is something to it.

Years ago I had my hearing tested when I was experiencing some dizziness. When the doctor was surprised at how acute my hearing actually was, I kept trying to tell him that I didn't actually hear the faintest tones as much as feel them. It was a pressure thing, near as I can tell which would explain the severe headaches I get when atmospheric pressure is low. Thankfully, I don't hear as well as I did in my youth.

But if infrasound is able to affect pressure on a human nervous system, it may also affect perception. That may be a stretch in our technological reference frame today, but not so when we had no understanding of vibratory data.

I once talked to a guy, who was obsessed with the idea that Aliens were jacking with him. He believed they were using infrasound to disable him and induce amnesia. He spoke of designing an alarm system that would trigger when infrasound was present. I'm not sure if it ever got built.
I've read that the military also did some experiments with infrasound weapons, but discontinued the project because of the negative health effects on everyone involved.

cool topic, I think that using one of those detectors on a "ghost hunt" when they plan on doing evp to see if they can match data.

I read an article years ago about an infrasound producing paranormal activity. All I remember is that they guy found his fencing sword vibrating and concluded there was a wave in the room. I don't remember the particulars but it was fascinating. Then, out of curiosity, I searched for "fencing sword paranormal ghost wave" and I found the article after all these years. Internet can be great!:)

Here is the article:

http://meta-religion.com/Paranormale/Ghost/ghosts_created_by_low_frequency.htm

Hi skunkape,

Yes I had heard that the French (I think), experimented with some sort of cathedral like organ pipes.
Because of the difficulties in generating those kind of low frequencies at any useful level, they were looking for the resonant frequency of a human body to shake it apart, those big old lead lned wooden pipes seemed to be the inspiration for this experimental weapon.

From memory "7 Hertz" was the frequency that did all the damage to the technicians present during the first tests.

"7 Hertz really hurts" apparently.

Heres something for all you Bassmen out there. :)

Peace,

Mark

Hello Dusty,

I recall a TV programme from about 1970 about the French experiments with enormous pipes and whistles. You are correct, 7Hz was the most dangerous frequency but I think it was because many rooms resonated at that frequency rather than the human body although I'm not too confident about the body after this time.

A quarter of a wavelength of 7 Hz at 1000 f/s is about 35 feet so reasonable.

One concern mentioned was that traffic noise could easily excite resonance.

I also remember discussing this with somebody I worked with at the time and he passed on some (probable rubbish) about the human bowel resonating at roughly 78 Hz and that people exposed to it at high level undergo what may be called 'involuntary peristalsis'. An interresting experiment would be to give a tape or CD of whatever junk they listen to (with an added 78 Hz burst hidden in the beat) to one of those arseholes that drive around with what sounds like a very loud drum.

Bye for now

Lemmy

I also remember discussing this with somebody I worked with at the time and he passed on some (probable rubbish) about the human bowel resonating at roughly 78 Hz and that people exposed to it at high level undergo what may be called 'involuntary peristalsis'. An interresting experiment would be to give a tape or CD of whatever junk they listen to (with an added 78 Hz burst hidden in the beat) to one of those arseholes that drive around with what sounds like a very loud drum.

The legendary "Brown Note."

Wikimedia Error

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Hello Dusty,

I recall a TV programme from about 1970 about the French experiments with enormous pipes and whistles. You are correct, 7Hz was the most dangerous frequency but I think it was because many rooms resonated at that frequency rather than the human body although I'm not too confident about the body after this time.

A quarter of a wavelength of 7 Hz at 1000 f/s is about 35 feet so reasonable.

One concern mentioned was that traffic noise could easily excite resonance.

Bye for now

Lemmy

What a brilliant idea Lemmy,

You got me thinking. :)

Oh and Gareth, (brown note). You slay me man that's hilarious.

Mark

I read an article years ago about an infrasound producing paranormal activity. All I remember is that they guy found his fencing sword vibrating and concluded there was a wave in the room. I don't remember the particulars but it was fascinating. Then, out of curiosity, I searched for "fencing sword paranormal ghost wave" and I found the article after all these years. Internet can be great!:)

Here is the article:

http://meta-religion.com/Paranormale/Ghost/ghosts_created_by_low_frequency.htm

Sorry for taking so long to get round to reading that article, but that's real interesting to me dreampsi. Thanks for posting.

Mark

Back