• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Imagine a herd of deer

Free episodes:

mikepc

Skilled Investigator
Now imagine a man piloting an ultralite airplane with a camera, photographing the beautiful deer, watching them look back at his vehicle and him in shock. The deer are confused. Some run away some stand there in shock, some ignore it altogether. Some of the deer on the far side of the herd miss the event altogether. The amazing craft disappears into the horizon to return on another day.

The pilot has no impetus to land and talk to the deer, nor has any inclination to do so, were it possible. He is merely there to observe and photograph.

If the herd could talk to each other there would be those who deny the craft altogether, those who support the witnesses even without seeing it themselves, those that saw it and box the experience up into their own subjective package, and those that deny seeing it even though they saw it with their own eyes.

Man is far too self-absorbed to acknowledge our utter lack of evolutionary advancement. We assume that if another intelligent race were to exist in the multiverse that this race would of course want to communicate with us. My question would be WHY? Like the pilot of the ultralite, there is absolutely nothing the deer can teach him about his world or enhance his understanding of the universe in any way. They're animals. While they have their place, and offer their own unique beauty, in the end there is no reason to talk to them.

Now imagine a man piloting an ultralite airplane with a camera, photographing the beautiful deer, watching them look back at his vehicle and him in shock. The deer are confused. Some run away some stand there in shock, some ignore it altogether. Some of the deer on the far side of the herd miss the event altogether. The amazing craft disappears into the horizon to return on another day.

The pilot has no impetus to land and talk to the deer, nor has any inclination to do so, were it possible. He is merely there to observe and photograph.

If the herd could talk to each other there would be those who deny the craft altogether, those who support the witnesses even without seeing it themselves, those that saw it and box the experience up into their own subjective package, and those that deny seeing it even though they saw it with their own eyes.

Man is far too self-absorbed to acknowledge our utter lack of evolutionary advancement. We assume that if another intelligent race were to exist in the multiverse that this race would of course want to communicate with us. My question would be WHY? Like the pilot of the ultralite, there is absolutely nothing the deer can teach him about his world or enhance his understanding of the universe in any way. They're animals. While they have their place, and offer their own unique beauty, in the end there is no reason to talk to them.

Are you shitting me? Nothing to learn from animals? We don't know if the sweat glands from animal X can cure disease Y, and it goes the same with plants and all wildlife in general.

We have much to learn about almost everything on this planet. I'm pretty sure that there are actually very few animals we fully understand, ourselves included.

It's very naive to assume that because we are smarter and can build things that we have nothing to learn from other species. In fact, that's probably the only reason we are on this planet. In order to study everything else on this planet, because in all reality, I can't think of a better reason.

If I were the pilot of the ultralight, I would be wishing I had my .308 so I could round up some venison.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Are you shitting me? Nothing to learn from animals? We don't know if the sweat glands from animal X can cure disease Y, and it goes the same with plants and all wildlife in general.

We have much to learn about almost everything on this planet. I'm pretty sure that there are actually very few animals we fully understand, ourselves included.

It's very naive to assume that because we are smarter and can build things that we have nothing to learn from other species. In fact, that's probably the only reason we are on this planet. In order to study everything else on this planet, because in all reality, I can't think of a better reason.

Let me expand on my original post. We are the deer, not the man in the ultralite. The ultralite is a man-made craft that the deer literaly can't even conceptualize, much make sense of. The ufo's are the ultralite, we are the deer. Yes there things that they can learn from us, but not by talking to us. The deer aren't going to tell us what the cure for X disease is, we are going to derive this data from study and analysis, not by communicating with them.

My point is that there is no reason for ufo's to establish any meaningful relationship with us because to them we are deer in a field.

My point is that there is no reason for ufo's to establish any meaningful relationship with us because to them we are deer in a field.

Maybe. Maybe not. How can we project our values or perspective onto the Alien/Other and think to understand what motivates them?

Around my house, there's this squirrel. The really odd thing about this squirrel is that she initiated contact with me. (In effect, she tamed me.) Now I give her peanuts when she knocks on the door.

I'm not sure what this example proves.

Let me expand on my original post. We are the deer, not the man in the ultralite. The ultralite is a man-made craft that the deer literaly can't even conceptualize, much make sense of. The ufo's are the ultralite, we are the deer. Yes there things that they can learn from us, but not by talking to us. The deer aren't going to tell us what the cure for X disease is, we are going to derive this data from study and analysis, not by communicating with them.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. As far as a communications standpoint is concerned, I completely agree. There really is no point, considering they can just download music for free.

The ultralite is a man-made craft that the deer literaly can't even conceptualize, much make sense of.

Seeing something one cannot even conceptualize is one of the more difficult aspects of dealing with an intense "experience." I saw a UFO up close once, and as my mind scrambled, trying to interpret what I was seeing, I swear I saw what looked like an ultra-light or small plane covered in Christmas lights for a few seconds.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Back