• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

If you had a truth machine

There are terms often used in Buddhism in answer to questions that mean neither 'yes' nor 'no'. I think one such term is "mu" ? It may signify that neither 'yes' nor 'no' is a correct answer. Or perhaps that the question is meaningless, or beyond the ability of the questioner to comprehend.
Answers to questions at the quantum level often fall into this category. The best known is probably whether light is a wave or a particle. It seems to be both and neither.

It's easy to imagine a superior intelligence answering deeper questions with something like "mu". Or maybe it would humor us with answers we could use to move a little futher down the path to understanding.

Interesting post. However I tend to believe that proclamations by the clergy or mystics ( pick your belief system ) that we don't have the intellectual capacity to understand their teachings is simply a cop out or ploy to get people to make a leap of faith without any evidence. Certainly some things cannot be truly understood logically ( e.g. emotions, intuition, inspiration ), however that is only because they are in an entirely different context ( subjective ). The example of wave/particle duality is in the context of objective reality, and certain paradigms ( e.g. the Computational Model ) can explain it. But even if that model is incorrect, I would contend that it would still be comprehensible given sufficient information.

Back