• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

if the pyramids where tombs for pharaohs...

W

wezzy

how come the pharaohs where NOT buried in them but instead their tomb was just some hole in the ground? (valley of the kings?)

as far as i know no mummy has ever been found inside one

so WHY do all these mainstream history books try to tell people that they where tombs?

and hasn't there been dating of the sphinx suggesting that it is MUCH older then the pyramids?

what the hell is the point in covering something like this up?
this forbidden archeology stuff is starting to piss me off...when you know millions of kids each day are being thought lies like this

where the hell do these people get the tomb idea from?

I no longer research pyramids etc. much because it became so frustrating, but if my memory serves, I was thinking that tombs have been found. As for the sphinx, all of it hasn't been explored last I checked.

wezzy said:
how come the pharaohs where NOT buried in them but instead their tomb was just some hole in the ground? (valley of the kings?)

so WHY do all these mainstream history books try to tell people that they where tombs?

and hasn't there been dating of the sphinx suggesting that it is MUCH older then the pyramids?

this forbidden archeology stuff is starting to piss me off...when you know millions of kids each day are being thought lies like this

Well, you should bear in mind that pyramids were as amazing and attractive in ancient times as they are in modern times...except back then they weren't explored by archaeologists, they were looted by tomb robbers!
At least one reason for burial in The Valley of the Kings was to try to keep the mummies safe from tomb robbers. And, at least in the case of King Tut it actually worked!

And just because a few people say that the Sphinx is thousands of years older than it is doesn't mean they necessarily know what they're talking about. And it certainly doesn't mean "lies" are being told to our children. Maybe it is and maybe it's not, it hasn't been proven either way.

People will never give up trying to make Ancient Egypt be what they want it to be.

Brian Now said:
Well, you should bear in mind that pyramids were as amazing and attractive in ancient times as they are in modern times...except back then they weren't explored by archaeologists, they were looted by tomb robbers!
At least one reason for burial in The Valley of the Kings was to try to keep the mummies safe from tomb robbers. And, at least in the case of King Tut it actually worked!

And just because a few people say that the Sphinx is thousands of years older than it is doesn't mean they necessarily know what they're talking about. And it certainly doesn't mean "lies" are being told to our children. Maybe it is and maybe it's not, it hasn't been proven either way.

People will never give up trying to make Ancient Egypt be what they want it to be.

Is there an alternate theory to account for the water erosion?

There is an empty sarcophagus chamber in the upper area of Cheops pyramid. However, they may not have been tombs so much as monuments. Bear in mind that originally they were covered in facings that made them perfectly smooth but were gradually stripped over the centuries to build Cairo so they're not nearly as impressive now as they once were.

CapnG said:
There is an empty sarcophagus chamber in the upper area of Cheops pyramid. However, they may not have been tombs so much as monuments. Bear in mind that originally they were covered in facings that made them perfectly smooth but were gradually stripped over the centuries to build Cairo so they're not nearly as impressive now as they once were.

I know that is true for the Great Pyramid but I haven't heard about the others. Regardless though, it must have been a sight to see the pyramid(s) covered in white stone glowing in the desert sun for the first time. If you didn't believe in the gods before you probably did then!

And the water erosion...yes there are alternate theories. One was that there was none, and others being that there was, but that it only makes the Sphinx a little older than thought. Not the thousands of years older you probably have heard those guys Bauval and Hancock say.

I would always be careful about believing Graham Hancock (not that anyone said they did here, but he was a proponent of this Sphinx theory). Judging from the one book of his I have, he argues with a lot of emotion at an unprofessional, almost adolescent level.

I don't mean to sound like an apologist for Zahi Hawass and the "establishment", but I just believe in the old cliche'd expression "big claims require big evidence"...or something like that;)

Brian Now said:

Precisely! The pyramids were an open invitation for robbery. Though there were a lotta traps and stuff, the robbers became sophisticated. Also if u look into the Egyptian Civilization as such, only the Pharaohs belonging to the Old Kingdom had pyramids built after them. The kings of the New Kingdom were all buried in Valley of the Kings. Only temples were built for them and not pyramids. We have had much luck, archaelogically, only with the kings of the new kingdom, Tut, Akhnaten, and who cud forget the legendary Ramses.

wezzy said:

I think you want to find some books by Graham Hancock and read them. Then look into some other stuff from recent archeology. Skip a lot of what went on in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Most of the answers to your questions can be "because people are lazy". The only writing about the pyramids was found next to the pyramids, where people claimed that someone prior to them built the pyramids. Since we don't know how much history THOSE people knew, we cannot judge if they were talking about humans or dinosaurs, etc. Most of the discoveries near the pyramids were found during a time when many people still believed in the 6000 year old Earth, so they fitted their theories to that constraint. Later archeology has always had a tough battle with the beliefs of the first people to write and interpret the evidence.
Time may or may not tell us the truth.

Back