• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

I thought the Cold War had ended?

I'm with the guys who are wondering what space planes (any space planes) can do better than conventional rockets/missiles.

As for aircraft carriers, I suspect that they were outmoded long ago. It's just that we haven't had to fight a country with a serious navy or air force that could make it obvious (we even used a battleship in Vietnam).

I'm with the guys who are wondering what space planes (any space planes) can do better than conventional rockets/missiles.

As for aircraft carriers, I suspect that they were outmoded long ago. It's just that we haven't had to fight a country with a serious navy or air force that could make it obvious (we even used a battleship in Vietnam).

So true and when a so called traditional 'battle 'between two or three superpowers comes to a head will they have to rewrite the text books regarding 'battle space technologies 'or will it still come down to historical methods of last man or woman standing? Furthermore, is the state of technologies overtake traditional military methods and become no-win situation (nuclear war)where's so called military complex needs to create the bad guys syndrome such as in TV series 'Jericho'?

They can deliver payloads, nuclear or conventional without violating the law of missile proliferation treaties.

We also used a battleship in bombarding Iraq during the Persian Gulf War.

As far as aircraft carriers, they are not necessarily outmoded nor outdated. They convey a political message as well as a military message. They can be sent to almost anywhere on the globe in a few days and carry enough power to pulverize most country's air forces, as well as the country itself.

They can deliver payloads, nuclear or conventional without violating the law of missile proliferation treaties.

We also used a battleship in bombarding Iraq during the Persian Gulf War.

As far as aircraft carriers, they are not necessarily outmoded nor outdated. They convey a political message as well as a military message. They can be sent to almost anywhere on the globe in a few days and carry enough power to pulverize most country's air forces, as well as the country itself.

You missed me, you called out to me, and the 1<SUP>st</SUP> Earth Battalion answered
Carriers are excellent command and control platforms but they are vulnerable to space based attacks because they do not yet have the ability to strike back or the agility to avoid an attack from a super kinetic weapon or high energy beam.<O:p></O:p>
Although the press have yet to show a space based energy weapon that could do more than make a cigarette smoulder from orbit it is inevitable that something will be deployed that can use the abundant source of solar energy.
Why?
It is a matter of logistics. If you have a weapon that does not need to be supported by a huge logistic chain you can free more resources and focus your tech research for the front line. It can also be deployed without having to worry about it needing to be accessible to a supply chain, perfect for orbit and deep the ocean.
Thankfully the USA realise this and are going to defend their advantage in space.
Ahh the super kinetic weapon... 20 years ago a think tank came up with a space based weapon that used ‘waste products’ to create ceramic pucks. These pucks looked like two fried eggs stuck together to form a saucer shape and were embedded with magnetic channels that allowed a liquid to move around controlled by electric impulses. The ceramic puck was extremely heat resistant and would build up kinetic energy as it dropped from orbit. The liquid would be channelled inside the puck subtlety changing/controlling its attitude so it could be guided to a target. The energy that built up was so high that it would vaporise a target as well as striking so quickly that it would have no time to react.
<O:p</O:p
So yes carriers may be obsolete on paper but in today’s world there are antagonists to the USA that need a very visual prompt to back off and behave. Three also needs to be a symbolic flag waving to ensure critics know that you can get close enough to tap them on the shoulder and blow cigar smoke in their faces.
<O:pFinally it gives you a layer of response between harsh language and nukes as sometimes a bloody nose allows you to learn the message and move on with your life.<O:p
Our enemies need to be concerned when:<O:p
THE DARK SIDE : they push us so far that we send in a couple of troops armed with a device that looks like a TV controller that summons the wrath from the heavens to whatever target they select with it.<O:p
1<SUP>st</SUP> Earth Battalion : We remove the will of the enemy to fight for a cause that will bring them harm and get them to join in the peaceful removal of those that abused their leadership rights.

P.S. for all you conspiracy buffs - look up the two transmitters (one russian one american) that send out a pulse and can be used to give 40% of the planets population epilectic fits.<O:p
<O:p

The technology is admirable, but the teenage idealist who still lives inside me thinks WTF? I'm pragmatic and realise the world is what it is. At the same time, I'm reminded of Bill Hicks' rant about spending money on exploration instead of potential destruction. He was only saying what most people on this Earth are thinking.

Back