• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

I got spooked the other day

Free episodes:

Live at the Witch Trials

Skilled Investigator
Ive got this job you see........

........as a delivery driver and amongst my delivery duties I am sometimes required to empty and re-stock vending machines.

I stock everything from Tampons to Asparins and Cans of Coke. Its not the best job in the world but it keeps the Wolves from the door, the moneys good, and I'm my own boss and free and easy.

Anyhow I digress.

In my line of work an early start presents the opportunity for an early finish. So on this occasion I decided to start at 4 am as I know i'd finish by 10 am my local Bar opens up at 11 and man I was very thirsty.

Its ok if the establishments have 24 hour access and being a trusted individual I have keys to some premises so I can come and go whenever the hell I choose.

Theres this school I service its a special school for special children. Its an old Edwardian red brick quasi Mansion type affair.

Kids are off school for 6 weeks so the place was empty and at 4 am I ventured in and up creaky stairs to the nurses quarters which was uncannily situated in the Attic of all places.

I hurridly changed the Vending machine as quick as I could. After doing my business I lingered in the hallway as there Is a large Victorian Painting on one of the walls that I am quite fond of looking at.

Its "The Derby Day" by William Powell Frith. I dont know if you are aware of this painting but its one of those that you can stand and look at for hours.

As I was looking at this picture a door opened behind me. It only opened Ajar and though I knew that the room was empty I also now knew that it wasnt which struck me ass an odd sensation to have knowing two things at the same that contradicted each other.

WTF.....!

As I peered into the room I started seeing a shape twirling in the darkness.

I didnt see much as I didnt want to stay but the shape looked like a head with big bushy unkept Hair. It was like a child but there was something oldy worldy about it.

And I had the feeling that whatever was going on was going on so that I would quickly leave.

I got the hell out of there and into my truck as fast as I could. All the hair was standing on the back of my neck and I my hands were shaking.

Maybe it was just my brain trying to make sense out of the darkness and an instinctual fear of the unknown.

But I tell you I was spooked that day and I decided right there and then that I would never linger in strange hallways looking at large Victorian Paintings ever again.;)

I find Im pretty easily spooked whenever Im on my own. Especially in a place like that.

No chance of a window being open? Old places sometimes have expanding and contracting timber (I think)... maybe that was it.

I guess it all comes down to how positive you are that you saw a murky shadow in the room.

Big old places like that tend to be spooky. As for the door opening, its hard to say in an old place like that. In the old haunted house I lived in, doors opened an shut all the time and while it can make the mood creepier, it was always just a natural old building sort of thing. It may have been different in this case, but old houses have ways of opening doors or slamming doors with the slightest breeze or even an air system kicking on or off. They also have ways of moaning, groaning and creeking. Doesn't explain the frizzy haired twirly kid though.

Sometimes the idea of ghost children are extra creepy. Like those girls in the Shining... creepy.

Yeah it could be my mind playing tricks as it was an old house and one really has to be rational about these things.

Another place that I service is a shopping mall and I have to service it at 6 am when its empty and I tell you that place is spooky I always get the feeling that I'm being watched.

Another place that I service is a shopping mall and I have to service it at 6 am when its empty and I tell you that place is spooky I always get the feeling that I'm being watched.
That's because you are:
cctv.gif

As I peered into the room I started seeing a shape twirling in the darkness.

I didnt see much as I didnt want to stay but the shape looked like a head with big bushy unkept Hair. It was like a child but there was something oldy worldy about it.

And I had the feeling that whatever was going on was going on so that I would quickly leave.

I got the hell out of there and into my truck as fast as I could. All the hair was standing on the back of my neck and I my hands were shaking.

Maybe it was just my brain trying to make sense out of the darkness and an instinctual fear of the unknown.

But I tell you I was spooked that day and I decided right there and then that I would never linger in strange hallways looking at large Victorian Paintings ever again.;)

Ha,ha,ha... all comes with the job, right?? NOT :eek:
And such a creepy building too -- all the ingredients one would find in a horror movie. Thanks for sharing. :eek:

That is a bit spooky. Not sure whether the investigative part of me would surface, or the scared shitless side if I were in your place.

I can relate to the contradictive feeling part very much so. To cut a long story short i had an experience once that ended up with me jumping outta bed, facing the opposite corner of the room which was pitch black with my hands in front of my face like a boxer and outstretched a bit. Whole time i was slowly creeping forward expecting to run into something, was to freaked to go for the light and i just knew something was there but in the same breath i knew if i turned the light on there'd be nothing.

My office is in a fairly old (1925) building. When I've had to work alone on weekends I get this hostile sense, as though something doesn't like me being there. Also I and other people have heard footsteps, then looked and not seen anybody.

I don't really believe in spirits but have an idea about them anyway. I think they're kind of driven back when a lot of people are around, but can come close to small groups or individuals. Either that or they want the place to themselves nights and weekends and don't like us cutting in on their time!

The original poster must be a fan of The Fall/Mark E. Smith- so props for having good taste. Anyway, that was a awesome story, well told and very creepy. Have you checked to see if any of the staff have ever experienced anything? Gonna keep a camera with you from now on? ;)

Ah, I like a good story. Thanks for sharing.

I had something a little bit similar happen long ago. In the 70s, I was offered a place to stay for next to nothing, in a vacant institutional building. The owner of the sprawling property was having problems with theft and vandalism, and wanted some people coming and going and being there at night, so he was offering a few places to people he knew and trusted. I was offered a funky old apartment on the top floor of a big building. It had a wonderful view and it was in decent shape. It was on the fourth floor, in a kind of big dormer. I was very interested.

One day I got hold of the keys and took a friend with me to look at the place. We joked about the building being a bit creepy, all vacant and drafty, while we climbed stairs and nosed around a bit. We were familiar with the place, Urban Exploration being very popular long before the name was invented :), but I don't think we had known about the apartment. It was cool, and only needed a bit of sprucing up since it had been vacant for some years. We checked out the various nooks and crannies, and being still a youngster from a large family, I was relishing the privacy I would have there.

On the way back down to the third floor, we came to a door we had passed on the way up. Thinking it was probably my new entry closet, I opened the door and looked in. Actually, I looked out. Outside the door was a cavernous attic, completely empty as far as we could see. I immediately got a cold chill, and realized in that moment that I would never live there. It made no sense at the time, but I lost interest in the place instantly. My friend felt it too. "Why does that seem so strange?" he asked. Neither of us had a clue. No one moved in there at the time, and I don't know of the apartment ever having been occupied since then. Many years later, after the property had been repurposed and renovated, my friend told me he had heard several stories of the building being haunted by something unpleasant. I don't think I would have managed to stay there one night.

Back