• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

I drew myself

Schuyler

Misanthrope
When I was about 25 or so in the seventies I was sitting at the desk in my second storey apartment in Seattle at night looking out the window. It was a really nice old, cheap apartment ($75.00 per month) on the outskirts of the CD (Central District: 32nd & S. Washington). I believe I was attempting to write something. I could have been studying. At the time I was the garden-variety hippe looking young man with ample hair down to my waist, plus a mustache and full beard. I was probably in graduate school at the time, working near full-time, and likely tired. I don't rememember exactly, but that apartment was during that time more or less, so I peg it from that. I was doodling and let my mind wander. I drew the face of a man. He was old and kinda jowly, nearly bald and with a long face. I'm really not a good artist at all, but this was a fairly good drawing--not professional in the least, but at least recognizable and not a scrawl. I rememember being kind of in a daze at the time, coming out of it and saying to myself, 'Wow, pretty cool.'

Well, it's been a few years. I managed to get a real job, get married, have kids and a have a career, and retire. I found that picture a couple of years ago in my 'effects,' and it is quite obvious from today's standpoint that I drew a picture of myself older, as I am today.

Of course, I can't 'prove' any of this and it's all subjective, but I still think it is kinda weird. FWIW, and I know that's not much. Just another anecdote for the pile.

When I was about 25 or so in the seventies I was sitting at the desk in my second storey apartment in Seattle at night looking out the window. It was a really nice old, cheap apartment ($75.00 per month) on the outskirts of the CD (Central District: 32nd & S. Washington). I believe I was attempting to write something. I could have been studying. At the time I was the garden-variety hippe looking young man with ample hair down to my waist, plus a mustache and full beard. I was probably in graduate school at the time, working near full-time, and likely tired. I don't rememember exactly, but that apartment was during that time more or less, so I peg it from that. I was doodling and let my mind wander. I drew the face of a man. He was old and kinda jowly, nearly bald and with a long face. I'm really not a good artist at all, but this was a fairly good drawing--not professional in the least, but at least recognizable and not a scrawl. I rememember being kind of in a daze at the time, coming out of it and saying to myself, 'Wow, pretty cool.'

Well, it's been a few years. I managed to get a real job, get married, have kids and a have a career, and retire. I found that picture a couple of years ago in my 'effects,' and it is quite obvious from today's standpoint that I drew a picture of myself older, as I am today.

Of course, I can't 'prove' any of this and it's all subjective, but I still think it is kinda weird. FWIW, and I know that's not much. Just another anecdote for the pile.

75 bucks a month!? Man, I need to move there. So long as it's roach free and not bad on murders, oh and arsen. I found an apartment for a little over 200 a month back in my mid 20s, which is extremely good in my area I hear. Roaches, gunshots, and fires everywhere though:(. Thankfully I no longer live there. Ick.

I got a kick out of watching some early Carlin once. I think he was impersonating himself as an old man, or maybe he was just impersonating an old man. It sounded JUST like what he ended up sounding like. I posted the vid here I think. Not sure of the thread title though.

If you're able to scan the drawing, and a pic of you, throw it up.

Back