• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

I didn't see it! Cases with puzzling witness deficits

Well, Curt, between you, Storge and the stuff Koi has posted I feel like I've fallen straight into the rabbit hole. My recent viewing of Mirage Men and reading more about Moore and Doty have left me swimming in a quagmire.

There are detailed reports published about the finding of 27 of the 35 bodies tangled in wreckage and encased in ice. That contrasts dramatically with what Armold reports as the 'real' series of events that unfolded following Butler's discovery of the crashed plane on Mount Rainier.

Arnold appears to be a very pivotal figure whose dealings with pilots, three letter agencies and his own pursuit of the UFO enigma is as tantalizing as it is conflicted. My understanding is that Maury was a hoax & a messing with Arnold's head which, when you read some of his speculations, you wonder if he also began to menally unravel in the way that Spaur did. How is it that he himself had so many sightings (followed by Floyd?) and became convinced of their telepathic skills?

But of more interest are his notions of the UFO as living creature, evolved and spawned from the planet itself. Somewhere between that bizarre claim and all the pestering, and subsequent silencing of pilots and witnesses, just like and including Arnold, there lies a curious tension about unestablished strange truths:

"ARNOLD: Something that… could come from the surface of this earth, commonplace things that go through a stage of development similar to a tadpole. It would be difficult for you to believe it’s going to be a frog. But when you watch the process, it becomes a frog. And it’s, well, a density, like I said to “Look” magazine one time. I said, “If you take a jellyfish in the ocean and you’re not familiar with jellyfish when it’s completely extended, it looks just like the ocean water, or very similar. It looks just a little bit milky, and you stick your finger in it, Oh Boy, it will really shock you. And then it solidifies. Nature has ways of doing this type of thing with these deep fish, or with fish in the deep parts of the oceans, and they go through various stages of development… If it is an aircraft from some place, they haven’t advanced much. You know, if you took a picture of, say, a 1915 airplane and then you took a picture of a 1978 aircraft that we have, you’d hardly know that they were related."

If anything, Arnold, seems to have driven deep into the mystery and remains convinced that militaristic motives are responsible for covering up an unknown quantity that does not originate from experimental Air force test beds, but some other place that involves both the witnessing of technological craft and living beings. Neither of these should be talked about or investigated is a mantra oft repeated and seems to originate from Arnold's era.

Here's some more information on Kenneth Arnold's other sightings and his conclusion that flying saucers were living beings:
Conversations with Kenneth Arnold - UFO Evidence
This is from a series of interviews done by Bob Pratt. More of his material can be found archived at the MUFON website.
Pratt's interviews are really scintillating but I would like some reonciliation between what Arnold says happened vs. other versions of reported reality.
HistoryLink.org- the Free Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History
Either family members received authentic rings, papers and wallets from the bodies on Mount Rainier, Arnold was busy spinning his own mystery without getting full evidence or the conspiracy cover-up regarding UFO abduction is really well woven making reality far stranger than I ever thought it could be. All these can't be true. I wonder just how clear Arnold's thinking was, or if he was being used and abused at various points?

Curt, sorry to continue to load onto this thread but many things have been flitting through the brain cells since you posted this and since watching Mirage Men. I know that people hate to hear about the lack of reliability in witness statements but when you do look into it the reality is that misperception is probably much more common than not. The material Koi posted regarding qualitative criteria suggests that everyone's guilty of misperception and even in groups we see how one individual will want to see what the group sees. The madness of crowds and popular delusions etc. seem to be something we can conjure up.

Those cases with independent clusters of witnesses at various points along the highway need more attention. Those odd solo cases, no matter how compelling and fascinating, that have situations that should have secondary witnesses and don't, might have to be placed in a different category altogether.

16: Qualitative criteria: Credible witnesses - Best UFO Cases - Isaac Koi's UFO website

Curt, sorry to continue to load onto this thread but many things have been flitting through the brain cells since you posted this and since watching Mirage Men. I know that people hate to hear about the lack of reliability in witness statements but when you do look into it the reality is that misperception is probably much more common than not. The material Koi posted regarding qualitative criteria suggests that everyone's guilty of misperception and even in groups we see how one individual will want to see what the group sees. The madness of crowds and popular delusions etc. seem to be something we can conjure up.

If you get out there and do field investigation, you find lots of misperceptions, and what I call overperceptions - that is people imagine that they can judge, size, distance, speed, altitude etc. when in fact they can't.

The vast majority of these misperceptions are honest - the witness has no intent to deceive anyone, but they are simply dealing with something of which they have little experience, even if it's the planet Venus, or the landing lights of aircraft stacked up on approach, or how a fast-flying bird looks in a photograph.

I recently wrapped up a hoax investigation though. Those are still around. Bastards.

The usual approach is to try and rule out all the possible candidates. In this process, we usually rule in something mundane, and then we wrap up our investigation. I think this process is necessary, but I wonder if it is sufficient. Also, you have to be careful - I've seen investigators dismiss an object as a satellite when it couldn't be a satellite, or as a blimp when no blimps were in the area.

Well, Curt, between you, Storge and the stuff Koi has posted I feel like I've fallen straight into the rabbit hole.

Don't feel bad. Everyone looking into this stuff for very long winds up there.

So, without talking specifics, I assume Arnold's almost lifelong involvement with high strangeness aerial phenomena is credible and valid? I'm wondering why it has taken all these years for Arnold's previous and post 1947 experiences to come to light? Or have some of us just missed it ? At any rate, this "new" information is tantamount to a game changer as regards how we historically view the onset of credible pilots interacting with UFOs; especially for that time period.

Back