• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Hubble Telescope Discovers UFO

JPL has the answer:
JPL Small-Body Database Browser

Just as an aside, this reminds me of another anomalous asteroid on a near collision course to Earth that occurred around the beginning of the year. It came up upon us relatively undetected and had a 365 day orbit, leading some to conjecture that it was not a natural object.

JPL has the answer:
JPL Small-Body Database Browser

Just as an aside, this reminds me of another anomalous asteroid on a near collision course to Earth that occurred around the beginning of the year. It came up upon us relatively undetected and had a 365 day orbit, leading some to conjecture that it was not a natural object.

Was there ever an official announcement as to what this object was?

Whatever it is, the image looks beautiful.

I also liked the article at Gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/5462539/hubble-detects-mysterious-spaceship+shaped-object-traveling-at-11000mph

Favorite quote:
This is quite different from the smooth dust envelopes of normal comets. The filaments are made of dust and gravel, presumably recently thrown out of the nucleus. Some are swept back by radiation pressure from sunlight to create straight dust streaks. Embedded in the filaments are co-moving blobs of dust that likely originated from tiny unseen parent bodies.
OK, David, we will believe you until Jerry Bruckheimer finish his next movie, in which a "comet" suddenly stops, turns to Earth, and starts firing anti-matter rays against our underpants.
:D

Back