• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Hoagland-Mars Observer Show

Decker

Administrator
Staff member
August 1993- another damn hot night in Southern Calf. on my former show, UFOs Tonite!. My guest was Dick Hoagland.... the topic the Mars Observer then in route to Mars. Some funny stuff had happened during the launch window the year before, now we were just a couple of weeks out from Mars. The cost of the mission in dollars? Over 1 point 5 Billion US dollars. And what happened to this expensive mission and did someone want it to FAIL?? Well, I say yes and to find out why, you are gonna have to listen.

Decker

Show opening
https://www.theparacast.com/darkmatters/HoaglandOpening.mp3

Hour 1
https://www.theparacast.com/darkmatters/Hoagland8-93-01.mp3

Hour 2
https://www.theparacast.com/darkmatters/Hoagland8-93-02.mp3

Awesome! Thanks! It's like you read my mind... I was just thinking "I hope there's a new Dark Matters episode up" as I logged into the site this morning. :)

Interesting show Don. Thanks for posting.

Interesting to hear a somewhat more conservative Richard Hoagland back in the early 90s. Listening to the interview, I really do get the sense that Hoagland is generally a pretty credible guy. But he seems to read waaaaay too much into what little information and evidence we have and extrapolate these insane unifying theories that sound absurd to most people with an interest in this topic, let alone those that dont.

Don, out of interest, what was Hoaglands reaction after the news that the Mars probe that you guys were discussing was lost? Did you talk to him 3 weeks later when the news came in?

Interesting show Don. Thanks for posting.

Don, out of interest, what was Hoaglands reaction after the news that the Mars probe that you guys were discussing was lost? Did you talk to him 3 weeks later when the news came in?

The general consensus was that an "unknown someone" very likely did sabotage this mission. Why? Now we are into the slippery slope of speculation. Remember that back then the big question was why NASA was so against re-imaging Cydonia to answer once and for all if there was a "Face" there. There had been one hell of a fight to even get a camera on the Mars Observer. The fact that I discovered about the lens being smeared with something after they pulled the capsule in the aftermath of the hurricane, and all the "crap" that was in the capsule was all kind of swept under the rug. The whole damn thing was a huge question that NASA NEVER answered. I was suspicious as hell and that episode colored my thinking about NASA for evermore. Hoagland was sure there was a nefarious plot .... of course.

Decker

Back