• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Hearing older

It's not working for me either, so apparently it's site related. Try again later.

Or, things just might be really slow. Open the audio link in a new window and let it sit and load a few minutes.

Adder said:
why can´t i hear older castings

Are you referring to previous episodes of our show? Tell me about the problem, as I have no issues in hearing the on-demand feed and I am able to download past episodes from the site, and from iTunes.

Perhaps if you can be explicit here about details and such, I'll try to figure out what's wrong. We switch hosts about 3 weeks ago, but it seems performance is better for most.

I clicked on the March 21 program and it took nearly two minutes to load. Things have been real slow the past several hours. On my end at least. I'm not on dial-up. I use cable, Road Runner ISP.

A.LeClair said:
I clicked on the March 21 program and it took nearly two minutes to load. Things have been real slow the past several hours. On my end at least. I'm not on dial-up. I use cable, Road Runner ISP.

I connect to our host's California servers via Cox, in Arizona.

I timed this and it was plenty fast. Unfortunately, in situations like this, you never know whether it is your ISP, the Internet in general, or the host.

If you know what a Traceroute is, feel free to email one to us, pointing to www.theparacast.com, so we can see where the bottleneck might be. Not that we can fix it, of course, but it might help.

I've never had a problem listening to archived shows.
One thing I do differently than some of you may, is open the Paracast in Windows Media player.
I do this because the quicktime player had an annoying habit of getting "stuck" sometimes and repeating itself in statico fashion.
I connect via DSL and the Paracast feed is always very fast...unlike some others whom one need download at least half the program before starting to listen...that is of course unless one enjoys the pregnant pauses of "buffering".
Things may slow down in the future as more people find this wonderful site.
I'm sort of a missionary online for the Paracast...I drop links to the show all over.
Gene and David have probably the BEST show dealing with the paranormal I know of, and I know plenty of them.
What is laughable is that some of the worst shows try to charge to hear them, if we had to pay for The Paracast I'd be inclined to do so, but I hope folks will patronize those sponsoring the show, and.....
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE FOR THE SHOW AT PODCAST ALLEY!!!!
Every vote helps us keep listening to David and Gene free!!!
And we don't have to listen to the likes of Sylvia (they will be found alive) Brown.
I find it refreshing that our intelligence is not insulted by the show, David and Gene are quick to challenge B.S. that some people try to sneak by.
BTW; I highly recommend Attack of The Rockoids.
There has got to be a movie deal coming up for this book.
I'd put the writers skill right up there with Ira Levin, and that is a rare talent. You should read "This Perfect Day" by Ira Levin...he was much more than just the writer of "Rosemary's Baby"...the book was MUCH better than the movie.

A couple of points come to mind:

1. Cable speeds vary with the number of people online, since you're time-sharing the cable. Ergo, during peak hours (6 PM to midnight), it can be considerably slower than during the rest of the day, and even in the noon to 6 timeframe it will be slower than in the early AM hours. As well, other users doing large downloads can severely impact cable speed.

2. The downloads for the previous programs are about 30 megabytes for the 90-minute MP3s and 40 megabytes for the 2-hour files. Roadrunner may promise a blazing speed, but in fact the standard download-speed numbers are given in megaBITS per second. Divide that number by 8 to get the megaBYTES per second.

Nobody Runs Like Road Runner!

Road Runner just got faster -- It's now up to 5Mbps downstream. Up to 3 times the speed of most standard DSL packages and up to 100x faster than dial-up**. so your family can spend their time on the computer learning, experiencing, and playing -- instead of waiting.

A blazing fast connection to the Internet means no waiting. You can pay bills online, telecommute from home and get homework help in a flash. Plus, with our home networking service, everyone in the family can enjoy Road Runner at the same time.

With Road Runner you're always on, your connection is fast and you're ready for everything.
Blazing Speed

Note that the quoted speed is "up to 5 Mbps downstream", i.e., download speed (and "up to" used three times). You're not guaranteed 5 Mbps, and more often than not you won't get it. And you usually won't notice the drop IAC.

The "Mbps" means "Megabits per second". That translates to 0.625 megabytes per second (MBps - capital B). The March 21, 2006 program is program is 30.9 megabytes. Therefore, at the top RR speed of 5 Mbps, it would require about 50 seconds to download. If you did the DL during peak hours, 2 minutes would not be unreasonable.

I'm connected by HughesNet satellite (my only option), and my maximum Pro package speed is about 1 Mbps, although in off-peak hours it runs about 1.03 Mbps. The older shows take about 5 minutes to fetch.

BTW, dial-up here is a maximum of 28.8 Kbps, or 3.6 KBps, although it was normally about 3 KBps. To download the new 40-megabyte shows would require about 3.7 hours.

Enjoy your cable. You could live where cable and DSL don't exist.

A.LeClair said:
Things work fine now. It was only screwy for about a day. It was only this site too btw.

If it happens again, I'd like to see a Traceroute on this. If you don't know how to do it, send me a private email and I'll help you further. That way, we can see where things are slowing down in the route from you, your ISP to theparacast.com. It's usually a dozen or so hops from there to here.

Things can go awry (that's a technical term :)) anywhere along that path.

Back