• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Hearing beeping sounds from nowhere....

Indeed. Could it be? I can't say for sure whether or not this sort of experience is actually real, but I can say it's technically possible to broadcast sounds directly into people's immediate auditory environment without having to use loudspeakers. I don't know exactly how the technology works, but it's been out in the public sector for years. Certain types of EM radiation is another possibility. Audio hallucinations are another. Every once in a while I have the stupid doorbell dream. Nobody is there of course, but it wakes me up anyway :confused:
How to transmit sound, music, even voice into someone's skull without speakers has been known in the unclassified world for some time now.

Starting in WW II, radar technicians standing in line with medium power radar signals would hear buzzing.

Later experiments by Dr. Allen Frey showed that microwave pulses can be heard as clicks, when pulses are sent individually. Frequency range for this microwave auditory effect is in the low end of the microwave spectrum. Dr. James C. Lin did similar experiments.

Then Dr. Joseph Sharp transmitted one click (microwave pulse) with each of successive audio waveform crests, and showed voice can be transmitted this way. The experimenters believe this is due to sudden heating of flesh by microwave pulses, causing rapid mechanical expansion of the flesh in the vicinity of the auditory pathways.

This Joseph Sharp method can penetrate non-conductive walls, if some way to aim the signal is available, such as police through-the-wall radar imaging.

Fairly recently, it was found that aiming a fairly powerful pulsed laser at someone's skull (ear for best results), using one laser pulse per audio waveform crest, can accomplish the same thing. This experiment is said to generate the sound by rapid expansion of air just outside the ear at each pulse. This would not penetrate walls, but would be heard as if a speaker were on the opposite side of the wall from the intended target.

Finally, a different technique using two ultrasound signals, in which the DIFFERENCE in frequency is modulated by an audible waveform (voice, music, etc.) was demonstrated some years ago. That technology has been available commercially as "HyperSonic Sound" (Woody Norris) or "Audio Spotlight" (Dr. Joseph Pompeo.)

However, this ultrasound method does not penetrate walls. Instead, the audible content is dumped into the environment where the ultrasound beams encounter a solid surface.

-- Squirrel

Last edited:
Hello,

I looked up beeps, and found this site. I am in Surrey BC, Canada, 45 minute drive North of Everett, WA.

I thought I would share that around 3:30 in the morning, a few weeks ago, I was lying awake in my bed and heard a beep in the distance and then another. I figured the next would be close and I looked to the South En-suite Bathroom Window and the beep was there, or near above in the sky. My cat woke scared and got up half way and looked toward the window. There was one more beep/pulse, than nothing.

There was no mechanical sound whatsoever. I suspected a drone when I was listening, and it was noiseless, whatever it was.

These were equally timed pulse sounds that came from an old Sci-Fi movie. However, I wouldn’t rule out that these noises were pitches coming from above in a vertical plane, as opposed to a horizontal fly by. With the exception of the near sounding pulse, the other ones were the same volume.

Anyways, I thought I would share.

Thanks.

I have been hearing synthesized high pitch like sounds for about a year and a half now. It's only in the early morning. Normally from 2-4 am when its really dark out and I live in a quiet town so no one is outside. At first I thought something was wrong with my ears so I got them checked out and turns out I am perfectly fine. But deep down I knew it wasn't my ears. It comes in 3 or 4 notes and stays for about 5 mins. The sounds wont stop. They are always different tones. Its intriguing but scary. My body feels weird when it happens and I feel stuck.

I have been hearing synthesized high pitch like sounds for about a year and a half now. It's only in the early morning. Normally from 2-4 am when its really dark out and I live in a quiet town so no one is outside. At first I thought something was wrong with my ears so I got them checked out and turns out I am perfectly fine. But deep down I knew it wasn't my ears. It comes in 3 or 4 notes and stays for about 5 mins. The sounds wont stop. They are always different tones. Its intriguing but scary. My body feels weird when it happens and I feel stuck.
Hearing allows for stereo location. So you should be able to locate the source if it lasts long enough. If it doesn't last long enough to locate it live, get a portable stereo digital recorder and put it on every night until you get an audio recording. Make sure it has a wall plug for power. Then if you hear it but it doesn't show up on the recording, you know it's an internally generated phenomenon. This can have a number of causes. If you do get an audio recording, you can do an analysis of the relative volumes from the positions of the microphones, and establish a direction. There's a start.

My first impression is that given that your body is "stuck" when it happens, and that it happens very late, presumably during a transition to or from sleep, is that it is something called a hypnagogic or hypnopompic experience. If this is the case, it will not show up on a recording.

Last edited:
Back