• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Have Each Thread Open in New Window

Free episodes:

God, didn't know that Mac users are so touchy :D ... I was only trying to help

No, be honest now! You said you need to do so and so, or buy a PC, as if those things didn't work on a Mac.

Macs do all those things, and don't blue screen! ;)

My wife is using an old graphite CRT iMac running Tiger, and she never shuts that computer off. It's been on or sleeping for almost a year now.

If you used to own a Mac, that's nothing current. It's not about the name, it's just a better OS. You might buy a Dell, or Sony, or HP, but you are still stuck with ugly Windows, unless you run Linux. If you are going to run Linux, you might as well run OS X.

I used to run a PowerComputing Mac clone. I didn't care that it wasn't made by Apple. I still have it too, and a MacPortable, and two Pluses. :D

God, didn't know that Mac users are so touchy :D ... I was only trying to help

Personaly, I don't give a flying fuk for any brand loyalty... NIKE, SONY, MACINTOSH, MICROSOFT, PS3, Xbox360 ... but whatever makes one happy is fine with me.

I use and own both PC and MAC...

ahem... that would be Mac. :D

Mac? Nope. (why would I need one of them?)
You see... I use and own both PC (for work) and MAC (MAC cosmetics/ for my makeup, skin care products, and nail care).

they let you play games at work? lol.

Congrats. This argument is now 28 years old. The IBM PC came out in 1981, when I bought my first one. Prior I had an Apple ][ (minus) that I ultimately poured $7,000 in to. I traded my motorcycle so I could buy a second $500 360K disk drive. I paid $120 for 16K of RAM. My friend paid $1000 for a 10MB hard disk for the Apple.

I bought Apples for my employer, too. But then something happened. PC clones appeared for a mere $1000, far cheaper than a $2,000 IBM. Apple, which could have owned the market, insisted on high margins and never dropped their prices on anything, including the first Macs. I was faced with an excruciating decision. I loved Apples, but the fact is I could buy two clones or one Apple. My vision was to get a computer on everyone's desk. Meanwhile, my bibliographic utility, which ran on a mainframe, decided to switch out its dumb $3000 'Mod1' terminals with PCs and the vendor of my in-house minicomputer decided to create a backup system on PCs. I was forced to PCs. I was forced to a GUI. I did not want to go there either time. If Apple had allowed clones, they would own the market today.

Over the years I have run nearly every OS out there, transitioning from Apple DOS 3.2 to Apple DOS 3.3 (thus allowing 144K disk drives instead of 116K) to CP/M on an Apple and an Osborne, to every flavor of MS-DOS there ever was, Windows 286, 386, 3.0, 3.1, and 3.11, then onto to Windows 95 (I attended the opening ceremonies in Redmond), and all the way to Vista. I look forward to Windows 7, which is by all accounts very nice. And in between I've run stuff you never heard of: HUGO, Ugli, and Glug, for starters. You may remember GEM and Ventura. I've never found anything better than Ventura. I loved it. I've run HP-UX, Solaris, BSD, and many flavors of Linux--since it came on two 5-1/4" floppies. At a certain point it juts becomes a little fuzzy. I had always thought the phrase "I've forgotten more than you will ever know" was an arrogant statement, but, you know? I kinda understand it.

Out of that experience I've come to some conclusions. One is that today a computer is simply an appliance. It is a gateway mostly to the Internet. If you have some specialized needs, such as pixelsmith and his $30,000 worth of software, it makes tremendous sense to get a Mac. But if you use your PC to surf the net, do email, and some word processing, and not really much else, there's no good reason to get a Mac, the cheapest of which is a mini without a screen at $599 that is not a laptop. Most are twice that much. My Compaq Presario now sells for $299 locally. I've had it running five years on XP and it has NEVER seen the blue screen of death. That issue went away many years ago, though obviously still remembered.

Having been through this for 36 years now--I started on the CDC 6000 at the U Dub that Bill Gates used as a teenager in 1973--I have to say that one is not any better than another. They have become so close to each other that it doesn't matter, especially when you compare to the past. Different strokes for different folks. I'm happy to be away from Ugli and Glug. But I still miss my Apple ][.

thanks for that post, it brings back memories. i have not used a fraction of those systems. i agree with everything you say... but if you are buying a new computer why not have a good one with OS options? one with a possible return on investment and lower overall operating costs? my son sells his old mac notebook when a new one comes out and he has never lost money. he has always sold his notebooks for as much or even more than he paid for them. for some reason it is almost always a doctor or someone in the medical field that buys them.

BTW- i still have my Apple DOS disks... er... floppies.

they let you play games at work? lol.

You won't believe this... but they do :D

Had to refuse work on - Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3, X360)- due to some previous commitments.

Here's my old portfolio :
http://mariadepaor.com/darko.html

And this is what I'm working on at the moment:
BotGunPoza1.jpg

botWires.jpg
BotGunPoza2.jpg

BTW- i still have my Apple DOS disks... er... floppies.

Very cool! I have a 105MB Hardcard that has on it a complete FidoNet BBS in DOS (forget which version) done with QuickBBS and Binkleyterm that was on-line for several years over 20 years ago. It was called Quicksilver and specialized in UFO stuff. I was also on ParaNet. But it has an ISA bus, which stopped being used with the 386's I think. I just can't bear to throw it away even though it will likely never boot up again! Gad, I've turned into a hoarder in my old age. :rolleyes:

Back