• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Has anyone argued there were moon landings successfully?

Squirrel

Paranormal Maven
Just wondering if anyone has successfully argued that the moon landings actually took place?

By "successfully" I mean that opponents who deny the moon landings took place changed their position and at least acknowledged that there is "some possiblilty," or better, that the landings took place.

If yes, what were the points that succeeded?

-- Squirrel

Frankly, I always thought that was one of the lesser conspiracy theories. Showing my age, I remember watching the TV broadcast of the original moon landing of Neil Armstrong in 1969. Hell, even the Beatles were still together then.

With those who have set beliefs, such as the moon landing was a hoax, I don't think any "proof" would ever be good enough. Someone who has already made up their mind has closed it to any other arguments, no matter the rationale or facts. Like Gene, I remember watching all the moon landings and our school had a radio setup to monitor the communications between NASA and the astronauts during one mission. My argument that the landings actually happened is that the Soviet Union would have called them out as a fake if they discovered it was so...and they had the equipment to monitor the missions all the way from launch to splash-down.

With those who have set beliefs, such as the moon landing was a hoax, I don't think any "proof" would ever be good enough. Someone who has already made up their mind has closed it to any other arguments, no matter the rationale or facts. Like Gene, I remember watching all the moon landings and our school had a radio setup to monitor the communications between NASA and the astronauts during one mission. My argument that the landings actually happened is that the Soviet Union would have called them out as a fake if they discovered it was so...and they had the equipment to monitor the missions all the way from launch to splash-down.
Good point, Zontar (Soviet response) and thanks.

Personally, I don't think anyone can argue that the rocket engine exhaust taking off from the moon to the command module was anything other than happening in a vacuum.

And the way the rover wheels kicked up dust, which settled right back to the surface, with nothing "hanging in the air" as would happen on Earth, was also very persuasive of a vacuum.

The low speed of dust settling was persuasive of very light gravity.

I'm skeptical about how dangerous the Van Allen Belts are as well.

The lower edge, I read in one article, sometimes sweeps past the ISS - but no radiation sickness reports?

Also, all the geosynchronous satellites are right there in the middle of the Van Allen Belts - and work fine for decades. I would think "deadly" radiation would mess up electronics, and even if the electronics were shielded, wouldn't strong radiation degrade the exposed solar batteries?

And finally, I would think that a moon rocket could be steered to depart from and arrive at the Earth near the poles, and "arch over" the Van Allen Belts, if they are as deadly as popularly described.

-- Squirrel

Not to open up the can and throw worms everywhere. But what if they did happen but the blended footage from both terrestrial and extra terrestrial sources to suit the narrative. So everyone with conviction can say they were right.
Are there not picture of stuff on the Lunar surface and do we not bounce lasers off of a mirror (see Big Bang Theory if they want proof)
I like the documentaries now point out high strangeness associated with the moon - all fascinating stuff.

Not to open up the can and throw worms everywhere. But what if they did happen but the blended footage from both terrestrial and extra terrestrial sources to suit the narrative. So everyone with conviction can say they were right.
Are there not picture of stuff on the Lunar surface and do we not bounce lasers off of a mirror (see Big Bang Theory if they want proof)
I like the documentaries now point out high strangeness associated with the moon - all fascinating stuff.
Great point about the blended footage idea, 1stEarth.

The reason I posted this is that almost every time a radio commentator raises this issue, they are absolutely convinced the moon landings were faked.

I'm just wondering if anyone has come up with a really convincing narrative which shows the landings were for real.

I've seen statistics for the UK that about 1/6th of survey respondents believe the landings were fake. That kind of surprised me because of the virtually unanimous belief the landings were faked among radio hosts.

When I have posted points as I did here above, the landings-were-faked people never respond to those specifics.

Maybe civilization will never know the actual answer! :)

-- Squirrel

My argument that the landings actually happened is that the Soviet Union would have called them out as a fake if they discovered it was so...and they had the equipment to monitor the missions all the way from launch to splash-down.

Of course. The Russians are in a far better position to know if the landings were faked than conspiracy nuts, and had a great incentive to expose a fake, as it would've deprived the US of a propaganda triumph in the Cold War and greatly embarrassed it.

The Russians have stated a number of times that they were going to check.
Dmitry Rogozin, head of Roscosmos in 2018 and in 2015, Vladimir Markin, a spokesman for the Russian Investigative Committee, wrote a column for the newspaper Izvestia which called for an investigation into the pioneering lunar missions. - I still have not picked up a yay or a nay from them.
Does anyone know if the Russians did check up on the moon landing sites that they said they would?

That never happened. Russians have never had any money for such endeavours. Now, with the current situation in Ukraine, its going to be even much, much worse.

Its good for us westeners though - here in Europe, European Space Agency has cancelled most contracts with Russia. SpaceX and companies like that will pick up, and we'll have new entrants to the landscape. I for one hope that we'll get rid of government controlled space access sooner than later!

Back