• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Guest sugestion - Derren Brown

DJ Vert (UK)

Paranormal Novice
No I don't think he has special powers (although....) but I think it would be great if he agreed to come on the show.
I'd like to hear him talk about if anything people call "paranormal" ever happened to him as a child. How his perception of what could be "supernatually" possible has changed since childhood.

Those who don't know his "craft" should head over to his website. I think it quite concisely describes what Derren does which leads to my suggestion of watching his televised performances. The earlier series of Trick Of The Mind are good. Nowadays he tends to do live shows which are also very entertaining and equally as thought provoking.

Maybe he could even talk about known or unknown techniques so-called mediums (or whatever) use. Have there been cases where he's genuinely baffled at the way a possible charlatan achieved their results? Are there any charlatans that he wants to expose?

What does he want people to know in order to protect themselves from scam artists? Is he aware of "rituals" around the world that raise questions for him?

I don't know, I'm babbling now. I'd just to too see/hear an interview with him since he doesn't do a lot of that in the UK. Since you're based abroad, he might come out of his shell a little bit.

Derren Brown website

What do you guys think?

Nah.

The only reason I say that is because he is a performer and entertainer. Nothing more.

From the site:
He doesn't claim to be a mind-reader, instead he describes his craft as a mixture of magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship.
Whatever you choose to call it, his unparalleled performances amaze and unsettle all those who watch him. This is a powerful and provocative form of entertainment, unlikely to be imitated for a long while.
Im sure he awesome at what he does, but on a show about the paranormal I dont know if he would be relevant.

I'll second that.

I know what you mean about him being an entertainer, but I would say that his knowledge of things like cold reading and subliminal suggestion, make him relevant.

Even the ufo field has issues which involve these topics, maybe not many much in the video evidence/sighting cases, but definitely the abduction phenomena...

The one show that really sticks in my mind is the one where he brainwashes a group of people to hold up a security van thats taking money out of a bank... (the vans setup, but the subjects dont know that). It was really interesting to see what teqniques were used to put them in the nesacary suggestive state...

I'm not sure if he would come on though... Although he did just start a new series over here...

I think he'd be a great guest. I remember a few years ago he did a series where he set out to show how easy it was to hoax paranormal stuff - mediumship, faith healing, seances etc. and managed to convince a number self-pronounced paranormal "experts" that he was the real deal. Some of them actually refused to believe he wasn't genuine even when he came right out and told them he wasn't.

He's a truly amazing guy. I've only seem him the few times his tv programmes have been shown down here in New Zealand, and every one has been fascinating. He can also paint damn well too. So he would be a fascinating guest imho.

In a way he may prove that some of this paranormal stuff is just our brains being fooled into believing something that isn't really there, and behind it all is just a super confident guy in a sharp suit and a cool spiky-ish haircut :D.

@ Killerclown,
Yeah, that was the Seance special that he did over in the States. He did cover a few other topics in it though.

@ schticknz,
Because he's so open about how he achieves his results through a combination of techniques, it's no longer a question of "how he does it" (well, it is in a way as he doesn't reveal everything) but more a realisation of what is perceivably/actually possible (depends how you look at it) that was previously labelled as "supernatural".

Just saw his Evening of Wonder and it was brilliant as expected. Maybe if he does come on it'll be just an hour long chat but that's better than nothing I guess.

It'd be funny if he did something to David and Gene during the interview, too. (made them say certain things or some such experiment) lol. :p

Back