• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Greeting from Richard Dolan

Richard Dolan

Paranormal Novice
Hello everyone.

After reading a few things about me on the Paracast thread, I thought it might be helpful to make a general statement to the group and clarify a few matters.

Honestly, many of the comments make me smile. Not a single one of them, however, seems to have commented on anything that I actually said at the Camelot conference, nor on the contents of my recently published book, something that has taken the last five years of my life to complete.

One person commented that I seem interested simply in making money, or words to that effect. Well, that's not it. But I AM interested in selling my new book. My attitude all year has been to accept any and all speaking engagements in order to get the word out. It so happens that the Camelot conference was the first one in which I had my new book available, and I was very happy to bring it along and -- yes -- sell it! :)

There have been no shortage of people on the forum who stated that merely associating with Camelot has tarnished me. Here is what I would say to that.

In the first place, I have never, ever gone to a conference and modified my presentation in order to appease those who invited me. I certainly did not do that for Bill Ryan or Kerry Cassidy. In fact, they knew beforehand that I had serious problems with many of the people they had invited. I told them this explicitly in an email. Although I disagreed with their selection of people, I went nevertheless. It was, in fact, an excellent venue and opportunity for me to make some points I had been wanting to make about "Exopolitics." Indeed, my presentation was a rebuke to the dominant direction of "exopolitics" taken by people like Alfred Webre -- a direction generally supported, I think it's fair to say, by Bill and Kerry.

I have been becoming very unhappy over the Exopolitics movement in ufology. However, as they say, politics makes strange bedfellows, it is also true, even in a field as marginalized as ufology, that -- if you are going to be a public figure in any way -- you will sometimes be associating with people that you strongly disagrees with. That's okay; I have done it many times. Although it is not my mission to evangelize the world, or even the UFO community, to my point of view, I do have a perspective, and often by associating with those I disagree with, I make surprising inroads. Moreover, I would caution anyone against becoming dogmatic in this field. I have been researching this topic for 15 years, and am still learning. Undoubtedly, I have been wrong on matters in the past, and I reserve the right to be wrong in the future.

The other point I want to mention is that by speaking at Camelot, the Youtube hits on my presentation reached 30,000 views. That's not high for some people, but in fact it's very high for me. I knew that this would happen. Whether you like them or not, Camelot does extremely well on Youtube. I wanted, and still want, maximum coverage for my ideas and research. That is my decision, and anyone of course is free to dispute the wisdom of it, or even -- as some remarked, foolishness. I am very pleased over the outstanding feedback I continue to receive from people over that presentation. Incidentally, that presentation is embedded at my website, Richard M. Dolan

What it comes down to, as I see it, is for me to get my message out. I worked very long and hard on a book that I believe does come through on what I wanted it to do all those years ago. I wanted, and still want, to promote it. Criticize me all you want for that, if you wish.

A note to David and Gene. Guys, we do private email frequently enough, but since you both have opted to make public statements on some of this, I will do so as well.

I have NO problem with either of you criticizing my statements or philosophy on Ufology. None at all. On previous shows, we have engaged in positive and spirited discussion, not always agreeing fully, but still generating a productive discourse. It seems to me, however, that in your recent criticisms, neither of you actually commented on the content of my presentation. Which makes me suspect you never listened to it. David, you in particular seem to make the guilt by association argument and leave it at that. I believe that I deserved a little more from you on that score.

Secondly, there is the matter of the review copy of my book. I gather the impression now that neither of you even believe that I sent you both review copies. Despite my strenuous private statements to you that I did -- I gather that you actually do not believe me. To which all I can say is, wow. I distinctly remember inscribing the books for each of you. Karyn tells me they went out with other books in the mail. This was quite a while ago. It has happened -- very rarely, but it has -- that the Post Office has held and then eventually returned books to me. Apparently it has to do with the weight of the book. I don't really get their logic all the time. Still, the books went. Maybe one day I will get them back, or you will get them with various postmarks from Langley, VA or Antarctica.

Now, that leaves me in the position to decide what I will do. To my surprise, you have indicated that I will not be invited to speak as a guest on your show until you receive your books. Correct me if I have misinterpreted. So, no books, no interview.

That being the case, I am inclined to let the matter stand as it is. You can decide to invite me or not, or, at this point, purchase my book or not. I am not disappointed in the remarks of the paracast community, but I am by this position of yours.

Please correct me where I am mistaken, gentlemen. No matter what, I certainly wish you both well. Ditto to the rest of the Paracast community.

Oh, I should mention that although I will try to respond to statements if I absolutely need to, there is a good chance I won't be able to post again. It's not a boycott, or anything of the sort. Just a question of time. :)

Richard Dolan
Author, UFOs and the National Security State (2 volumes)
Richard M. Dolan

I hope this doesn't become another burnt bridge. There are too many of those in this field as is, we don't need to alienate the few good out there over petty issues and differing opinions. If we all share the same opinion, we'll have nothing to learn from each other.

I'm going to relisten to the May 4, 2009 episode so I can make some more informed comments. I'm guilty of not knowing enough about you myself Rich, but I'll take some time to hear your views.

I want to voice an opinion, from me - and me alone.

The subject of UFOs and the paranormal is exceedingly strange. By simply addressing it you need to be mega-open minded. You also need to be prepared to suffer ridicule from all sides.

It's a thankless f*cking role to be swimming in this pool. But, and don't ask me why - this role feels important.

If this "thing" is real, and I feel strongly that SOMETHING VERY REAL is happening, then anyone involved is at the outer edge of our societal norms. Just by addressing it, we are marginalizing ourselves in the eyes of the status quo.

If anyone has experienced this phenomenon directly (and I speak from experience) it is paradigm shattering. I cannot state that clear enough, THIS EXPERIENCE CHANGES PEOPLE. It is an intense stimulus to make someone tense, confused and emotional. Here's what I'm trying to say, this sh*t can tweak you out - big time!

By entering the fray, you are gunna rub shoulders with some intense and passionate people. That same intensity and passion can create some real deal emotional stresses. We are fragile humans, not heartless robots. People with the direct experiences are intense the same way that fish are wet.

David has real life experiences that might have broken someone of lesser moral fiber. This guy has my permission to be intense and passionate. From what I've seen, this ain't a game for him. He has gone way out on a limb sharing his experiences.

The subject itself is "hot" and if people weren't responding emotionally to the f*cked-up stresses this subject creates, they wouldn't be people, and I wouldn't trust them.

Both David and Rich are doing extremely important work at a very high level. These are both VERY impressive human beings.

No simple answers here, because it just aint' simple. I deeply respect David and RIch, I consider them both friends. I feel like I can see both sides of this conflict, and understand why it's a unfolding like it is.

You are both doing great. Thank you - both David and Rich - for your dedication to this very important subject. I have benefited enormously from each of you and your hard work.

I'm about half way through your book. 600 pages takes me awhile. I expect to review it in a generally positive manner. I have no problem with you 'making money' by writing books. I paid my mortgage for 20 years on my writing earnings and no one 'accused' me of writing about computers to 'make money.' Well, duh! Of course I did.

But I wonder if you would comment on some of your sources. I notice, for example, that you have cited Steven Greer a couple of times so far. I think it is fair to say that his reputation with many in the field is that of a charlatan. One dose of a woodland moth being called an aetheric light being kind of causes people to think this guy is not being straight. (Well, me, for sure. I'll let other people speak for themselves.) It seems to me using Steven Greer as a source of truth is the same as looking toward Richard Doty for a factual account of MJ-12.

I don't want to get into a prolonged Greer discussion (We've been there.) but I use him as an example of using questionable sources in citations. Not that there have been many, but one of the criticisms of your previous work is that you seem to take all evidence presented at face value. In light of this can you comment on your 'philosophy,' if you will, of citing people and issues where where we all know there is a bit of a problem?

As I've said before I think too many assumptions, accusations, and criticisms are being made without Rich being able to even chime in on what his perspective is. All I can hope for is that he is invited back on the show, book or no book. Everything else aside let's hear some answers straight from the man himself instead of making up our minds based on endorsements, conferences, and potential postal goofs.

Hello again.

Regarding using Greer as a "source," that would be his book Disclosure. You may call Greer what you like, but interviews are interviews. The source may be Greer's book, but it isn't Greer. I would think that is fairly obvious. Now, of course, just because something is said during an interview doesn't make it certain. But calling the source Greer is rather a stretch.

Richard Dolan

Frankly, I'm surprised at this reaction. I thought mine was a pretty good and straightforward question, not the least bit antagonistic toward you, personally.

But isn't this splitting hairs to say your source is Greer's book, but not Greer himself? I tell the kids, "Stop jumping on the couch!" and they say back, "We're not jumping on the couch; we're jumping on the cushions!" I don't think it matters whether Greer SAID it, or whether he WROTE it. He's still the source. Greer clearly has credibility issues. If you're using Greer as a conduit to get to an original source for verification, that's fine, but of you're using Greer as a sole source of information I think that brings up issues. Greer is famous for saying. "My source told me. I'm sorry, I wish I could give you his name. He told me {fantastic story goes here.}

So no, I don't think it is 'fairly obvious' and I don't think 'An interview is an interview.' (a tautology) adds much to the discussion. Indeed, THAT'S the issue!

No, sorry, you are wrong here.

Probably you don't have the book in question. It is a series of interviews with known people. They make their statements. This is really not the controversy you are making of it. Moreover, there are no instances in which, when I cited such an interview, I made any blanket statement that it was absolutely true.

One more follow up on my "philosophy" and use of sources. I would be interested in what, specifically, you are citing as criticism of my sources. I am not trying to be argumentative, but I would really like you to be specific, as this is a rather serious statement.

Let me say this. I have always sought to be very careful with use of sources. In both of my volumes, I have prepared what I believe is an airtight case for (A) the reality of a genuine UFO phenomenon, and (B) the reality of a cover-up of some sort. To make that argument, I have used sources that one can say are of various levels of strength.

Probably the top of the list are the documents that are not controversial: government documents you can find in the National Archives.

I have also used sources that, while not having the sanction of a military department, are those that most reasonable people would not have a problem with. These would be detailed interviews with known military and/or intelligence people. For instance, one of the pilots of the famous 1976 Iranian jet intercept case, who later became a general and years later gave an interview on his experience. Or other military UFO witnesses -- in cases where we have additional confirmation and corroboration.

There are also cases in which various journalists or independent investigators reached certain conclusions following their work. I think these are worthy of consideration, although again like all sources one must use judgment in handling them.

I also conducted a fairly large number of personal interviews for this latest book.

In a work of history, no source is infallible. But it does not logically follow that no history can be a reasonably reliable guide. At all times we must use our best judgment and let the chips fall where they may.

Richard Dolan

No, sorry, you are wrong here.

Probably you don't have the book in question. It is a series of interviews with known people. They make their statements. This is really not the controversy you are making of it. Moreover, there are no instances in which, when I cited such an interview, I made any blanket statement that it was absolutely true.

Probably I do have the book in question. Probably I have read it. Probably I have read a lot of what Greer has written and probably I have heard a lot of what Greer has said publicly. And probably I don't have much respect for Greer. And probably I don't make a distinction between what Greer said and what he wrote. AS I CLEARLY STATED previously, I don't have a problem if you are using Greer as a conduit to a source you can otherwise verify. But when you cite Greer, my little antenna go up.

You have chosen to expand my specific question on these kinds of sources into a blanket condemnation of your book and historical methods themselves, which could not be further from the truth. I am deeply disappointed by your over reaction here and your distortion of my position. I shall ask you no more questions and take up no more of your time.

Have a nice day.

Richard welcome to the forums.

As far as the interview is concerned, a large part of the show would be devoted to the new book, so until we have copies at hand, that would present a problem, since there's nothing for us to reference or consider. How are you sending them? Priority? Book rate? David and I are really anxious to read this title, so I urge you to find another route if the present shipping method isn't working. UPS ground maybe?

Well, I think this will conclude my participation for the day.

Mr. Schuyler, if you -- or others -- read my comments to you, I don't really see that I took anything you said as a blanket condemnation of my book. Your remarks about Greer's book simply indicated that you were not familiar with it. And you seem to have conceded that point. No big deal.

I stated my philosophy about sources because you asked, and frankly it was a reasonable thing for you to do.

For those who argue that I keep the wrong company ... this is very easy to say -- unless you become a public figure, actually going out there to make a difference. See how far you get with such an attitude, then.

Wishing everyone well, and for those wanting to communicate with me further, you can email me privately via my website.

Richard Dolan

Rich,

I'm glad you've come here to engage our audience.

Let's get a couple of things out of the way: as I stated in a private email to you, I take the time to read the books of our guests before having them on, in order to make the most of our time together, and because I am genuinely interested in this material. I am not doing the show with Gene in order to make money - we don't even cover our hosting costs with whatever advertising revenues come in, and unlike most of the other shows in this genre, we don't charge anyone a dime for access to our archived shows. I don't remember publicly stating that you would not be invited back on this show without first sending us your new book, if I did, I apologize. As I've told you on air, you are always welcome on our show, we've enjoyed speaking with you, and hopefully will continue to do so in the future.

I will admit, I've not yet listened to the content of your presentation at the Camelot conference, I've had some recent personal issues which have been taking up the bulk of my time, limiting my capacity for absorbing media related to these topics. I will take the time to watch your presentation before we have you on again, but regardless of the content of that presentation, surely you understand that folks would be concerned by your being in any way involved with the Camelot principals - guilt by association is not something to be taken lightly, especially in this fragile field. Rich, in a certain sense, I admire your political abilities, for I myself do not do very well in political situations. I take this material far too personally, and have little patience for the madness of Webre, the inane silliness spewed by Paola Harris, the hardheaded tunnelvision of Bassett, and the self-promotional slime of Rob Simone. We've also totally burned our bridge with Bill Birnes and his wife, and I have no regrets over this - they are simply trying to make money on this subject, not reveal any truth or cut away any noise. They are promoters, nothing more, and their handling of UFO magazine does more to show their intentions and agenda than my words ever could. I could not bring myself to be very friendly - or even civil - with these people, it's just not in me anymore. I know that I should try to be better about this, but as I get older, my patience wears ever thinner.

Rich, I certainly don't pretend to have any answers to what the heck is going on with the UFO phenomenon - though I certainly agree with your two major conclusions - UFOs are indeed something actual, real, and there is indeed some sort of coverup, no arguments there. I don't think anyone "in the field" has actually figured out what is going on, though I also don't doubt that your work has helped folks get closer to the truth. My own feelings have undergone a fairly serious evolution over the last few years regarding this topic, and I have chosen to keep some of my thoughts regarding this topic to myself - in just the last few weeks, a single email from one of our listeners had the effect of opening up a completely new paradigm for me regarding the UFO phenomenon and my own personal views of it, and I have yet to explore these new thoughts with any guest of the show.

All that said, I've also not placed my entire professional life in this basket, so it's hard for me to actually see things from your point of view - I would find association with certain people to be repulsive, and this reality has caused me to severe some close friendships in the last year. You have a family to support, which is also a very different reality from mine - my girlfriend is entirely independent from me, if I fall on my face, it's just me, no kids have to go hungry. And it's also very likely that this show and association with this field will be the undoing of me - one could certainly make the case that this is already the case.

One other thing - Schuyler. When this man tells you he's reading your book, you best believe him, he absorbs information and facts like no one else I've ever known, and is probably the most literate and well-read person on these forums. When he calls issues into question, he's coming from a place of deep knowledge and understanding, not some sort of flippant sense of arrogance. The guy is seriously intelligent, and the only assumption you should make about him is that he's going to ask you the most informed questions of anyone - anyone - you're likely to encounter in this field. I agree with him regarding the Greer issue - anything that comes out of Greer is likely to be either seriously distorted, or just flat-out bullshit. I've not seen your latest book, we've established that, but if you are citing Greer as a source for some sort of information, and treating it as anything but highly questionable, that's a mistake, as Schuyler has already pointed out.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll add more to these thoughts later, my head is pounding right now. A long week, and it's... Monday. Oy.

dB

Gene, I think Rich has made it crystal clear that if we haven't received books from him, it ain't happening now. PLEASE read the thread before posting, OK?

dB

For what its worth I think the book is pretty good, and the only critiscism I would have is that the author seems to side with the paranormal explanation in almost every instance.
As far as I can tell the book is the history of UFology and UFO's... and since lazar, Greer and all the other nutbags could be considered part of this then its not that suprising that they are included in the book.

I admit that anytime I got to anything about Greer or Harris I basically skipped forward, and I think that an intelligent reader has the ability to do this also so there should be no problem.

I love the paracast, and I have listened to every episode more than once, but I fail to see why people get so worked up over these things. If you don't believe something, then just don't believe it. If someone is running round taking pictures of wedding cakes and claiming that they're UFO's, just laugh at them and move on....

Gene, David, Schuyler, and the Paracast community,

Although I previously said I was done for today, I had written a fairly extended reply which, for some reason, did not make it to the forum, and which I did not save. Argh. So I will simply re-write what I remember.

Okay, Gene and David. I am going to send each of you another book, tomorrow. Not book rate, but Priority. When you get the original ones I sent you, you can put them on eBay or wherever.

David, it is quite evident to me that Schuyler is a very discerning reader. However, regarding the content of Greer’s book, “Disclosure,” it was also evident that he was not speaking from a position of knowledge. And honestly, neither were you. It is not a big deal – nobody is perfect. God knows I certainly am not. In a long life, everyone gets to make lots of mistakes.

Regarding the ‘political’ aspect of being a ufologist...

When I entered this field years ago, I had a major learning curve ahead of me. For better or for worse (and it’s clear that many here believe “for worse”), I am not simply a historian of UFOs, but am at times actively engaged in something like “disclosure.” Being in that position means that I deal with all kinds of people, some more savory than others – and a few who are less so. In most cases, I find that people and their situations are more complex than I initially thought from a safe distance. It is easy to rail at people from afar. Harder after you meet them face to face and gain nuance that seldom arises from a distance. I assume most people reading this have an understanding of that experience.

It is true that I have a very high tolerance for dealing with a very broad range of people. That’s an acquired skill, and I can assure you it isn’t always easy to employ. Still, if I want to do what I do, it is necessary. In my situation, I have had intimate conversations with some individuals who would be positively scary to many people. I have also been involved with all sorts of researchers – some outstanding, others not so much, and still others who have had one or two good ideas, along with a whole lot of bad ones. I have dealt with ‘true believers,’ ‘true skeptics,’ ‘true disinformation artists,’ and every other kind of person, and have usually had something to learn from all of them.

At all times I have done what I have done because I have a message to relate, and am attempting to make a positive difference. That includes the Camelot conference. If you don’t like my attendance there, there’s not anything else I can tell you, unless you haven’t actually listened to what I had to say. And then, shame on you if you criticize anyone without actually listening to what they said. What kind of research is that?

In the years and generations to come, whatever judgment there is on my work will center on what I have had to say. Yeats put it very well: “words alone are certain good.”

Thanks and best wishes.

Richard Dolan

I think Greer and all the other nut cases really are part of the history of UFOs in this country, like it or not, just as are Adamski, Bethurum, and many others. I do not advocate pretending they aren't there, but if you choose to use them as sources to prove something else, that's where I see a problem.

If your source has credibility problems in one area, then this reflects on his overall credibility. This is not my problem. Attacking me for pointing this out is not going to solve your problem. Relying on Greer for anything, in my opinion, is like hiring the captain of the Titanic to head up your water safety program.

mothra.jpg

Although I haven't read the new book, I did watch Rich's latest Camelot conference appearance (with some intial trepidation, I might add). Sharing a stage with the likes of George Green and Alex Collier does illicit a certain amount of... well let's just call it bias (to guage the level of balls involved here, the conference was called "Awake and Aware") but in Rich's defence, his talk was certainly focussed and dare I say sane by comparison.

Some new stuff, some old stuff but Rich Dolan is still Rich Dolan as far as I can tell, no worms from Ceti Alpha 5 have bored into his brain... yet.

Back