• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Good News, please

Loose Leaf Tea

Skilled Investigator
Echoing David's sentiments about dire media slop, could all you knowledgeable Paracast listeners please recommend worthy internet news site/s for factual world reporting. Rupert Murdoch's Sky news channel here in the UK is simply diabolical whilst BBC news seems to be heading in the same "infotainment" direction.
Help!

Loose Leaf Tea said:
Echoing David's sentiments about dire media slop, could all you knowledgeable Paracast listeners please recommend worthy internet news site/s for factual world reporting. Rupert Murdoch's Sky news channel here in the UK is simply diabolical whilst BBC news seems to be heading in the same "infotainment" direction.
Help!

Tragedy sells my friend, and that's the true nature of journalism. I no longer believe that journalists are there to inform us, they're salesmen. They dig up stories that are tragic, and sad, and horrifying so that they can paste a huge attention-grabbing headline and create readership. Readership, in turn, creates revenue. Just like with music, writing, and almost everything else, there's a business end to it all, and the people in charge are concerned with making money. Good news doesn't sell.

To prove my point, a little experiment. You tell me; which headline attracts your attention more:

[size=large]Local Charity Helps Homeless Find Work[/size]

Or:

[size=large]Mother Shoots Husband, Infant[/size]

Well, yeah. The "Mother" headline is the one people will go for.
But are you really saying there are NO internet news outlets you can recommend to me? :frown:

Loose Leaf Tea said:
Well, yeah. The "Mother" headline is the one people will go for.
But are you really saying there are NO internet news outlets you can recommend to me? :frown:

None that I know of. Now, someone with a bit more web knowledge on this board might be able to help.

Is it just that the news makes you depressed? Stop watching... I stopped watching the news about three months ago and believe me, I'm happier.

Hey guys, it's not all bad. Check out this one for an antidote:

http://www.positivenews.org.uk/cgi-bin/Positive_News/welcome.cgi

There must be more sites like that. And I have to say, even C/Net has been running several interesting stories lately on green technologies, such as this one:

Tapping the power of ocean waves

http://www.news.com/2300-11392_3-6202618-1.html?tag=ne.gall.pg

Thanks for the replies, everyone, but I think there are some crossed wires here!
What I was really after were links to internet news sites that treat their readers like grown-ups. You know, trusted news outlets that don't spin the facts. I wasn't looking for "good-news-only" sites.

So, what trusted sources do you look to for daily news?
Any suggestions?

You could use an RSS feed to select various news sources. I personally use Google Desktop and point its RSS Reader Gadget at NewScientist.Com among others

Loose Leaf Tea said:
Thanks for the replies, everyone, but I think there are some crossed wires here!
What I was really after were links to internet news sites that treat their readers like grown-ups. You know, trusted news outlets that don't spin the facts. I wasn't looking for "good-news-only" sites.

So, what trusted sources do you look to for daily news?
Any suggestions?

Oh. Sorry, took the post the wrong way.

I love National Public Radio;

www.npr.org

It seems to me the most balanced, intelligent news source out there.

I believe you must read several news sources to get anywhere near an idea of what is really going on. Don't chose just one but many.

Back