• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Giant Sound

Free episodes:

BrandonD

Skilled Investigator
Before I tell this next story, I want to say that the whole reason I remember all this weird stuff from my distant past is because I followed Jeff Ritzmann's advice on one of the Paracast episodes and sat down to write everything strange that had ever happened to me. That was a very helpful exercise. Not only did I realize that a lot of weird things have occurred in my life, but I think the process of making an effort to compile everything actually helped me to remember things I've forgotten. That aspect should be very attractive among people who feel dubious about hypnotic regression. Perhaps no hypnotism is needed after all.

So I would advise everyone to just set 30 minutes aside and sit down to record all the weird things they can remember. Keep the list handy so that when something comes to your mind at a random time, you can append it.

I've noticed that almost none of the things that have happened to me were strictly "ufo" or "ghost", etc. This probably contributes to the forgetting of them, because one has no handy mental compartment in which to store this experience. It just has to go in the "miscellaneous" folder.

Anyway, here's another of the short stories:

I was living in an apartment complex near my mom's house in north Houston. This apartment was on the second floor in a residential area. I was sitting in my living room reading a book, when I heard thunder clap outside. It was very loud, and I just sort of unconsciously registered it and continued reading.

After several seconds, my attention was brought back to the thunder because it was somehow still occurring. It made me think of a cd player skipping, the thunder was loud and steadily sustaining at a constant loud volume. I had a very weird feeling, and I walked outside to the landing near the steps. The thunder was outside, and still going.

I walked down the stairs and onto the grassy patch in front of the apartment. The thunder was still going. But everything was very still.

I was actually very scared because the sky was completely empty of clouds and planes, and I had this creepy feeling that it was the end of the world. I had never heard such a loud and all-encompassing sound, so perhaps a bomb had been dropped and I was about to see a big shockwave like in terminator 2.

The sound continued all this time, for the length of at least a minute, if not more, and then rapidly faded. That may not sound like a long time, but when you're standing there listening, waiting for a sound to change in any way and it just sustains, it feels like a really long time.

I should mention that Bush Airport was about 15 minutes away from where I lived, so I'd seen and heard LOTS of airplanes. There's no way that this was an airplane. I would not have been drawn outside by just one of the many airplanes flying overhead. Besides the sky was empty, and this sound was much deeper and louder and booming like a thunder clap, coming seemingly from *everywhere*. Perhaps like how I imagine a huge earthquake might be, but with the earth remaining completely still.

Which leads to my personal theory on what this sound was. I think that it might have been some sort of strange subterranean activity... that is of course, if it wasn't some sort of weird brain anomaly or the "thunder.mp3" sound-clip skipping within the matrix :)

I'm really hoping that a similar thing has happened to someone else and perhaps we can compare the surrounding circumstances and find out some clues about it.

Did you ask anyone around you if they heard it? Surely someone would have heard something that loud and continuous. If it wasn't a sonic boom (I don't hear them in Houston I don't think) then it is pretty interesting.

But sound can morph and warp as it travels. Houston does have an extremely annoying amount of low-flying aircraft in my opinion . A few years ago I was in a building downtown and heard a noise similar to what you described...I was almost sure a plane was about to plow into the Wortham Center...it seemed to come out of nowhere, lasted a short time and vanished. It was just a jet though.

I wonder if there's subterranean drilling going on in North Houston, Brandon. That would really surprise me, but I've read reports elsewhere across the country so I pose the question. Lately, I'd bet my eyes that any tunnel would likely fill with the drenching rains. Come to think of it, I wonder if anyone heard underground work for the trains at Bush.

You might ask neighbors or friends from that time if they heard it too.

I've heard continuous thunder at times in the recent past, but the weather was bad anyway.

Poi said:
I wonder if there's subterranean drilling going on in North Houston, Brandon. That would really surprise me, but I've read reports elsewhere across the country so I pose the question. Lately, I'd bet my eyes that any tunnel would likely fill with the drenching rains. Come to think of it, I wonder if anyone heard underground work for the trains at Bush.

You might ask neighbors or friends from that time if they heard it too.

I've heard continuous thunder at times in the recent past, but the weather was bad anyway.

I don't rule out thunder or subterranean drilling, but it didn't seem like either of those. It was just so epic, if you know what I mean. I had this feeling like time had stopped.

I remember asking my mom later that day if she heard the sound. She said no.

I'm gonna tell you another related story that happened very soon after this one. This one is very unbelievable, but for this one I had a fellow witness.

I was picking my friend Megan up from Bush airport. She forgot her wallet and so we were going back to pick it up. On the way back from the airport, we were just driving down the street (down Will Clayton for those in the Houston gang), when all of a sudden I saw that one of the airplanes had FROZEN in the sky!

I shouted "Oh my god!!" and I pointed over to it. Megan looked over at it and she was in total shock. The plane was completely immobile. It stayed this way for about 10 seconds, and then just suddenly continued as if the world had been on pause and we were now continuing normally.

I don't remember anything about the cars around me, so I think it would be safe to assume that they didn't freeze, because it seems like cars freezing would have stuck out in my mind.

Anyway, we talked and talked about it for a long time afterwards. She had seen the plane freeze in the sky exactly as I had. I've never seen anything like that since.

We mentioned this to Megan's older brother and he questioned us about angles and all that stuff because he was very dubious about the whole thing. We were driving roughly eastward, and the plane was travelling westward at about 10 o'clock to our left. So not exactly to our left at 9 o'clock, but leftward enough that it certainly did not seem to be some sort of optical illusion.

And picture this, we're continuing to drive east, so as the plane stays frozen in place, it is getting further and further to our left. At a certain point it is completely left of us. At this point if it was an optical illusion then we would have definitely seen it moving, because its motion would be 100% perpendicular to our view.

So time seemed to freeze (just for specific things) 2 times in a row, and they were both within months of each other.

One other possibility is that perhaps some planes can hover or stall in the air. Is this possible? Perhaps some planes can do this and I don't know about it. Maybe a pilot on the list knows more about this.

Welp, I don't know the author of the artcle I'm going to link to nor do I even consider the article's contents worth much, but I was intrigued by his "time jumps." A New Solar X-Ray Phenomenon

If there really is such a thing and you were witness to it, I would think other cars, including yours, would have to have been "jumped" too. Unless you've still got that shamanic door open. In fact, I think that's more likely than a plane's being able to freeze in flight.

I've never seen a UFO by myself. My husband seems to me to be the key to our sighting them. I see them and point them out to him, but I never see them unless he's with me. He even knows when I should look up and tells me to look. Guess I'm trying to say that your friend might never have been privy to the frozen plane without your presence.

I would think it would be time slowing rather than stopping. I would guess that if it was frozen in time (completely) any photon that touched it would freeze too, therefore you wouldn't be able to see it. It would appear as a black plane outline in the sky. So maybe time slowed around it which could still allow light to reflect back to your eyes. But in that scenario it should fall to the ground. Seems like either something incredibly beyond known physics happened, or it was an allusion due to angles and the plane's direction or banking (the latter seems more likely).

Brian Now said:
I would think it would be time slowing rather than stopping. I would guess that if it was frozen in time (completely) any photon that touched it would freeze too, therefore you wouldn't be able to see it. It would appear as a black plane outline in the sky. So maybe time slowed around it which could still allow light to reflect back to your eyes. But in that scenario it should fall to the ground. Seems like either something incredibly beyond known physics happened, or it was an allusion due to angles and the plane's direction or banking (the latter seems more likely).

Well here's another thing to take into consideration, which might help you to see why I don't think it was an illusion.

Something way up in the sky has no reference objects to compare with, so it's difficult to guage speed and motion. But we were leaving the airport, and the nearby planes are coming in for a landing, at the most only a few hundred feet up.

And to the left of where we were driving was a patch of forest. The plane that froze was only slightly above this patch of forest. So we have our own forward motion to get a sense of perspective relative to the plane, and we have the plane's motion (or lack thereof) relative to the row of trees directly beneath it. Even with all of this, it looked to both of us that the plane was completely still.

As for the time-freezing photon thing, it's my opinion that we do not really have an understanding of what time is. At the very least, we cannot stop it to any observable degree, so I think it's a little premature to say that we know what will happen if time "paused".

(Oh yeah, and for those people who might think that maybe my weird experiences are some sort of drug-related "flashbacks", these things all happened many years before I took ayahuasca. The Peru trip occurred only last year and that was my first drug experience, everything else happened way before.)

I leave in the Houston area too. I've too have seen the a plane stop in mid air for a few seconds. I thought I was just tired and my eyes and mind were just reacting slowly, but now that you mention the same thing, maybe there's something more to it.

A lot of times when you look at a plane flying from a certain angle it may seem like it's not moving but frozen in the air. I've seen this effect several times when a plane was going for a landing.

Back