• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Giant Black Cats

BrandonD

Skilled Investigator
The subject of big cats is one I'm not terribly interested in, so I forgot about this story until yesterday.

Many years ago I lived in a suburb outside of Houston, and at that time I worked at LaMadeleine (french restaurant). An old woman worked there with me, both she and her husband lost all their retirement money in an emu farm, and so even though she was in her 60s she was working at a restaurant.

I used to ask her all these questions about her emu farm, and once she told me this strange story.

She said once she heard her dogs outside sounding very agitated, so she went outside with a gun thinking that maybe prowlers were out there. The emus and ostriches were extremely expensive so they were very protective over them.

Anyway, she stepped outside and in her yard she saw a gigantic black panther and it had one of the emus by the neck. She raised the gun but she was paralyzed with fear, and for some reason she could not shoot it. She didn't know why she didn't shoot it, because each emu costs thousands of dollars and she would not willingly let an animal carry one away. But she just stood there frozen as the panther easily carried the emu over the fence, which was 7 feet tall.

There are a lot of weird things about this story. First of all, there is no area around us for a black panther to live, as far as we know. The area around Houston is extremely flat, and additionally there are no forests large enough to contain huge panthers. From what I've read, just one panther needs several miles of territory.

Also, these emus are really large and able to defend themselves, so she was shocked to see this panther so easily kill it and carry it over the fence. Apparently they used to have a shorter fence and one of the emus managed to leap over it. The husband chased it down the street, and when he tried to catch it the emu tore his stomach up with its claws.

Not to mention the fact that black panthers are not native to North America.

Anyway, it was interesting due to the strangeness of seeing a black panther in Houston, and also her strange reaction when she was unable to shoot it.

Those big black cats are not too uncommon in Coastal Texas. I'm pretty sure it's a subspecies of puma. I don't know why they haven't been photographed and classified yet. I know many people, usually hunters who spend a lot of time in the woods, who have seen them. I've seen two around the banks of the Brazos River and one in Bastrop, TX. It's rare, but the occasional jaguar wanders that far north, too. Somebody killed one in Arizona recently.

Those big black cats are not too uncommon in Coastal Texas. I'm pretty sure it's a subspecies of puma. I don't know why they haven't been photographed and classified yet. I know many people, usually hunters who spend a lot of time in the woods, who have seen them. I've seen two around the banks of the Brazos River and one in Bastrop, TX. It's rare, but the occasional jaguar wanders that far north, too. Somebody killed one in Arizona recently.

Wow that's cool, you've seen one?

Well it's possible that this is just a case of an ordinary rare animal.

I saw one with my grandma and little brother. I don't remember the exact place, but it was a campground in Bastrop, TX...a pretty nice one with log cabins for rent. There was a cable-car that crossed a river, probably the Colorado. We were walking down a trail, turned a corner, and it was just sitting there about 15 yards ahead. It jumped up and hissed and ran off through the woods. We all turned around without saying a word and went the other way with some haste. I picked up the first big stick I found. I saw one on two other occasions when I was a kid, once from a canoe, and another time squirrel hunting on a river bank. There seems to be a water connection.

What it probably was, I'm guessing, was a jaguar which can come in black. To my knowledge a puma is another name for mountain lion, which do not come in black. But the jaguar is native to the Americas, specifically South and MesoAmerica. They have crept up to the States like Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. I remember being a bit nervous doing any remote camping or hiking in southern Arizona for this very reason.

Either way it is an interesting story. I know the usual spotted jaguars have been photographed in the SW States, but don't recall the more rare black jaguar being photographed. It probably will be soon. And I know the utter strength of these creatures is immeasurably high. I can't imagine actually seeing the events unfold as you described. I would be in complete awe.

The subject of big cats is one I'm not terribly interested in, so I forgot about this story until yesterday.

Hi,

Black panthers while extremely strong are not gigantic. The odd and interesting thing about what you have said BrandonD is that the cat easily carried off the emu. Emus are not small. to carry one off it must have been a very very large cat....something probably bigger than a tiger...and panthers are nowhere near as big as tigers. A panther would be able to drag the emu away but not carry it.
I certainly would not want to meet it face to face!

Hi,

A panther would be able to drag the emu away but not carry it.
I certainly would not want to meet it face to face!

According to Wikipedia, emus grow to be between 40 and 110 lbs. I know for a fact that a puma (or possibly a jaguar) can drag a 50 or 60 lb goat up a tree. I didn't actually see the cat that did it, but I saw the remains.
It appears there's one being seen near David's place.
Mystery Of Big Black Cat Deepens In NY Suburb - wcbstv.com

According to Wikipedia, emus grow to be between 40 and 110 lbs. I know for a fact that a puma (or possibly a jaguar) can drag a 50 or 60 lb goat up a tree. I didn't actually see the cat that did it, but I saw the remains.
It appears there's one being seen near David's place.
Mystery Of Big Black Cat Deepens In NY Suburb - wcbstv.com

I have this image in my mind of the cat carrying the emu in its mouth, well clear of the ground. I could carry an emu at 40 to 110lb quite easily just going on the weight alone, but I think they would be awkward to carry just because they are all legs and neck....but for something big enough to be able to carry it with ease clear of the ground....hmmm...scary!....

I have this image in my mind of the cat carrying the emu in its mouth, well clear of the ground. I could carry an emu at 40 to 110lb quite easily just going on the weight alone, but I think they would be awkward to carry just because they are all legs and neck....but for something big enough to be able to carry it with ease clear of the ground....hmmm...scary!....
That's why we carry a gun in these parts.

I live just south of Dallas, Texas and there was an emu farmer here who had a tracker come in because he was losing emus. Turned out to be a mountain lion. He said they can have like a 50 mile radius they patrol.

I actually saw one crossing the road at dusk once, about a quarter mile ahead of me. The way the shoulders rolled on the thing was just awe inspiring -- big strong shoulders, lumbering across the road.

What a site. Beautiful.

Another possibility is an escaped pet. Up here in Ontario, the Ministry of Natural Resources has been using that excuse to discredit sightings of wild eastern cougars for years. A cougar (aka puma or mountain lion) is quite capable of dragging a 160 lbs deer carcass up a tree, so I have no doubt one could carry away an 80 lbs emu.

Here's a photo I stumbled across.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attachments

• blkpuma.jpg
    blkpuma.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 5
Back