• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Ghost Hunters burn down a historic house

Oakenwulf

Paranormal Maven
Ghost Hunters Burn Historic Mansion | LiveScience

A group of ghost hunters has been arrested for allegedly setting fire to a historic mansion near New Orleans. Perhaps inspired by the hit SyFy television series "Ghost Hunters" and its many imitators, the men climbed through a hole in a fence and broke into the LeBeau Plantation house near the Mississippi Riveron Nov. 21.
According to the St. Bernard Sheriff's Office, the men were looking for ghosts. Though nobody was harmed, the fire shines a light on the dark side of ghost hunting, a side that seems to be only gaining in popularity.
The mansion, built in the 1850s, had survived through many incarnations, operating as a boarding house, a hotel and even an illegal gambling house. Though the mansion had been shuttered in recent years, its owner, the Arlene and Joseph Meraux Charitable Foundation, had plans to renovate the building.

You talk about idiots ruining the ufo community, another good example of ghost hunters running the ghost/spirit investigation community.. hmm lets light a fire and get ghosts to attack us.. yea

this is from the article you posted, I am afraid that my trickster side made me laugh out loud when I read this section:

"In the wake of popular ghost-hunting TV shows, police across the country have seen a surge in people being arrested, injured and even killed while looking for ghosts.
In 2006, a woman was critically wounded looking for ghosts in a private house near a cemetery; she and a friend were trespassing, and the house owner mistook them for vandals and shot them. In 2010, a North Carolina man died while ghost hunting with a group of friends, hoping to see the ghost of a train that crashed years earlier. The ghost train did not appear — but a real train came around a bend and killed one man who couldn't get out of the way in time."

Obviously it is not really funny that people have died, but it is certainly ironic to say the least.

all I have to say is

poster-revolution-ephemera-stupid-people-metal-tin-sign-16x12_large.jpg

I think the most suprising thing for me is that the suspects are only being charged with $50,000 worth of damages about £30,000. surely the property was worth a lot more than that. In London this is what you get for £20,000*
para1.png

NB It is just ONE of these garages! for $30,000 and it is not even central London to boot!

just in case you thought I was joking here is the website
*1 bedroom Other for sale in Streatham Court/Manor Court, IDEAL INVESTMENT

The "virtual tour" video is a must see LOL!

Last edited:
I think the most suprising thing for me is that the suspects are only being charged with $50,000 worth of damages about £30,000. surely the property was worth a lot more than that. In London this is what you get for £20,000*
para1.png

NB It is just ONE of these garages! for $30,000 and it is not even central London to boot!

just in case you thought I was joking here is the website
*1 bedroom Other for sale in Streatham Court/Manor Court, IDEAL INVESTMENT

The "virtual tour" video is a must see LOL!

That makes the local house prices look damn right cheap

I actually work at a historic house museum and ghost hunters are a huge nuisance to us. It's sort of dilemma facing our industry whether to embrace the ghost stuff or step away...far away. My particular site has chose to stay far away from promoting ghost tours or even admitting to any activity. Meanwhile other sites in our vicinity have embraced it and even give ghost tours. We've decided that it compromises our integrity as a museum and most importantly our security. The limited resources of most historic properties mean that security is much to be desired. The home, outbuildings and interior collections are all irreplaceable bits of material culture that could be lost to a accident prone ghost hunter. From my own personal experience in the world of old houses I find the ones that are foaming at the mouth to tell you how haunted they are usually are all talk...the quiet ones maybe have more to hide.

aw, snap. This lot couldn't find a safer way to conjure up the spirits? So much to do in New Orleans, shouldn't these young men be out looking for a nice girl to date? So many questions.
The loss of this historical building aside, the truely sad reality is that these guys could have charges haunt them for future employment background checks.

Ghost Hunters Burn Historic Mansion | LiveScience
You talk about idiots ruining the ufo community, another good example of ghost hunters running the ghost/spirit investigation community.. hmm lets light a fire and get ghosts to attack us.. yea

I dunno, I kind of think that MOST ghost hunters are idiots of assorted flavors, period. I find credible more UFO tales than ghost investigation tales. I think most UFOs are explainable even though the person seeing them may lack an explanation whereas most ghost investigators seem to only be looking for a funhouse experience of some sort.

I dunno, I kind of think that MOST ghost hunters are idiots of assorted flavors, period. I find credible more UFO tales than ghost investigation tales. I think most UFOs are explainable even though the person seeing them may lack an explanation whereas most ghost investigators seem to only be looking for a funhouse experience of some sort.

I hate to agree with such a blanket statement, but in my experience it has been true. We once had a lady that worked at our site who was a self-proclaimed "ghost hunter" and she kept digital recorders around all the time looking for an EVP. Turned out she caught some other stuff on the recordings and then tried to blackmail another employee with the info. She was definitely one of those "assorted flavors". ;)

I think people are a little bit too gullible. I seriously doubt these were ghost hunters. In my opinion, it seems the claims of ghost hunting is a lie to mask the real reason..arson for fun. Kids who go ghost hunting don't usually set fires. However, there are kids who deliberately set out to set fires. I think they lied in order to hopefully lesson the charges against them.

At no point during any of the numerous investigations i've done has there ever been an open flame allowed anywhere near the investigation site.. If you need to step away from the investigation to smoke a cigarette by all means do so but do it far away.

Back